First Family Event this weekend, Saturday April 21: Contra dancing

  • Shari Hrdina
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 19, 2012
      Here's an event Cowles families may be interested in.  On Saturday evening there will be a barn dance with live music in Des Moines.  It will have some square dances and mostly contra dances, which is like square dancing but in two long lines instead of a square.

      No previous dance experience necessary--they give a lesson at the beginning, and walk through all of the moves of each dance before they start that dance.  It is all about having fun.
      No partner needed either.  Come alone, with a friend, or bring a crowd!

      It is truly a multi-generational event.  When I went to the last dance in Des Moines, there were a couple babies, some elementary students, some teenagers, 20-somethings, 30-somethings, 40-somethings, 50-somethings and 60-somethings.

      Date:   Saturday, April 21, 2012
      Lesson Time:   7:30pm - 8:00pm
      Dance Time:   8:00pm - 11:00pm
           (you can come at any time, even if you miss the instruction)
      Location:   Odd Fellows Hall
           (SW corner of 29th and Kingman, Des Moines, IA)
      Cost:  $10 - ages 12 and up
           $25 - family maximum
           Free - kids 12 and under
           Limited discounts to those who help before or after
      Refreshments:  This event is drug & alcohol free
           Small snacks and beverage/water will be provided.
           You may bring your own if you like, as it is good to stay hydrated.
      For more info: http://contra-indications.org and on Facebook Contra-Indications

      This is a fairly new non-profit that is bringing about three barn dances per year to Des Moines.  They need people to attend so they can afford to continue to offer it in Des Moines.  Many people who come also attend the monthly square dance in Ames, which I have frequented, and it is an accepting crowd.