lost and found

    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 9, 2012
      Hello all,

      I replied directly to Nancy's e-mail yesterday, but I want to post a message on this list as well to urge Cowles staff to give parents more warning before taking all the lost and found items to Goodwill. The e-mail that went out on Wednesday morning stated that all unclaimed items would be taken to Goodwill on Friday. That's not nearly enough time for parents in my opinion. People who didn't see the e-mail until after work on Wednesday, or perhaps Wednesday evening, would have only one day to get over to the school to comb through the items. That may not be possible for people who have other activities scheduled for Thursdays.

      I think it would be more appropriate to give parents at least a week or ten days to get to school and go through the lost and found before hauling unclaimed items to Goodwill. The Sweetheart Dance is coming up and will bring a lot of parents into the building--maybe people will go through lost and found then.

      I understand that the overflowing lost and found area is a nuisance, and I would strongly encourage parents to make time to search through it.

      Just my two cents,

      Laurie
    • rileysmom515
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 9, 2012
        ummm...i agree...I didn't even get an email about the lost & found? the last email I got was about the canned food drive on 2/6??

        -Barb

      • mssci@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 9, 2012
          Ditto

          <laurabelin@...> wrote:

          > Hello all,
          >
          > I replied directly to Nancy's e-mail yesterday, but I want to post
          a message on this list as well to urge Cowles staff to give parents
          more warning before taking all the lost and found items to Goodwill.
          The e-mail that went out on Wednesday morning stated that all unclaimed
          items would be taken to Goodwill on Friday. That's not nearly enough
          time for parents in my opinion. People who didn't see the e-mail until
          after work on Wednesday, or perhaps Wednesday evening, would have only
          one day to get over to the school to comb through the items. That may
          not be possible for people who have other activities scheduled for
          Thursdays.

          > I think it would be more appropriate to give parents at least a
          week or ten days to get to school and go through the lost and found
          before hauling unclaimed items to Goodwill. The Sweetheart Dance is
          coming up and will bring a lot of parents into the building--maybe
          people will go through lost and found then.

          > I understand that the overflowing lost and found area is a
          nuisance, and I would strongly encourage parents to make time to search
          through it.

          > Just my two cents,
          >
          > Laurie

        • NPack
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 9, 2012
            I also agree, and I think it would be helpful if the lost and found was placed in a different location, such as by the office as it has been in years past. Parents could then walk by and search through it. Where it is now, I forget it's there.

            Nina

            mssci@... wrote:

            >Ditto

          • Carla Ruble
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 9, 2012
              I also sent an email suggesting that we let other Cowles families take items they could use like we have in the past. It would be nice if we could lay the items out on tables for Friday evening. I can volunteer to do that.

              Carla Ruble
              CFO Service
              515-770-5163

              mssci@... wrote:

              >Ditto

            • NPack
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 9, 2012
                Great idea, Carla! I can help you with that.

                Nina

                Carla Ruble <cmruble1@...> wrote:

                >I also sent an email suggesting that we let other Cowles families take items they could use like we have in the past. It would be nice if we could lay the items out on tables for Friday evening. I can volunteer to do that.
                >
                >Carla Ruble
                >CFO Service
                >515-770-5163
                >
                >On Feb 9, 2012, at 10:24 AM, NPack <e_n_pack@...> wrote:
                >
                >> I also agree, and I think it would be helpful if the lost and found was placed in a different location, such as by the office as it has been in years past. Parents could then walk by and search through it. Where it is now, I forget it's there.
                >>
                >> Nina
                >>
                >> mssci@... wrote:
                >>
                >> >Ditto

              • Shari Hrdina
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 17, 2012
                  I talked with Nancy about letting other Cowles families have first dibs on unclaimed items before sending to Goodwill.  Here's some things she said:
                  She can send out a message about offering lost items to the parent email list if we organize what's going on and tell her what to send.  She's flexible with the timing.
                  There are a lot of mis-match items, like only one mitten, that she thought Goodwill may not take. (Maybe a teacher may want for a  sock-puppet / mitten-puppet show?)
                  Last year it was Charlene who set up items in the upper hallway.
                  Not many things were taken during the Sweetheart dance.

                  Those interested in helping make this happen can email me at sharihrdina@..., and we can coordinate off-line.

                  Shari