daily exercise boosts cognitive ability

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 2011
      I wish there were some way to get more PE and/or more recess time into the kids' schedules at Cowles (and all over the Des Moines Public Schools). Who doesn't feel a little sharper after exercising?

      Thought this link would be of interest to the community.

      Laurie

      http://www.mothertalkers.com/story/2011/10/31/9334/-Study:-Daily-Exercise-Boosts-Cognitive-Ability

      Dr. Julian Reed, an associate professor of health sciences at Furman University who has been studying the effects of Legacy’s 45-minutes-a-day exercise program on its students’ brains, found that not only did they improve on 92 percent of the fitness measures tested, they also grew by 59 percent in their cognitive abilities, compared to 25 percent for students of similar backgrounds in other schools who had just one period of PE a week.

      At a time when physical education is being trimmed back because of budget cuts, and state and federal governments are placing greater demands for academic performance, Reed believes his year-long study demonstrates that regular exercise should be a vital part of the curriculum.

      “If we can demonstrate that kids perform better and it increases their cognitive ability, it gives further leverage to say, hey, we need to make sure our kids get more movement opportunities, not less,” he told GreenvilleOnline.com