Re: [cowlesmontessori] Picture Day

  • Judy Diedrichs
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 26 5:30 AM
      The previous photographer was LifeTouch and they were more expensive. I'm all for looking for someone local as well.  It may be a district wide contract though.  Definitely a question Liz can answer.

      Judy
      From: sukaropop@...
      Sender: cowlesmontessori@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 11:19:56 +0000
      To: <cowlesmontessori@yahoogroups.com>
      ReplyTo: cowlesmontessori@yahoogroups.com

      I know of a terrific local photog who does schools in some surrounding towns and she is much less expensive with better quality. Perhaps good conversation at next cmpg mtg? I totally agree.
      From: NPack <e_n_pack@...>
      Sender: cowlesmontessori@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 06:07:03 -0500
      To: <cowlesmontessori@yahoogroups.com>
      ReplyTo: cowlesmontessori@yahoogroups.com

      Amy Moore changed who took school pictures about 3 yrs ago. Not sure if it was her decision as it seems all of Des Moines Public is using Herff-Jones/Jolesch. The former vendor, if I remember, was even more expensive.

      Nina

    • lorafraracci@gmail.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 26 5:37 AM
        Amy originally hired these guys because they were local and they tacked on freebies, ie taking free pics at dances and other events throughout the school year. We actually turned those "free pics" into fundraisers by selling them for a small fee on site at the events. The pics also were printed on site at the events so it made for a nice memento. I believe a lot of the pics taken by Jolesch at various events throughout the year were then used in the year book as well. If asked they probably would have taken pictures on the Peace Walk.

        Best practice should be to find out what the deal is and see if we can get a even better deal. Liz can call and get the "scoop" and bring info to next meeting.

        Lora Fraracci

        Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone, powered by CREDO Mobile.

        From: eliz.maxwell@...
        Sender: cowlesmontessori@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 12:22:18 +0000
        To: <cowlesmontessori@yahoogroups.com>

        From: sukaropop@...
        Sender: cowlesmontessori@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 11:19:56 +0000
        To: <cowlesmontessori@yahoogroups.com>

        From: NPack <e_n_pack@...>
        Sender: cowlesmontessori@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 06:07:03 -0500
        To: <cowlesmontessori@yahoogroups.com>
        ReplyTo: cowlesmontessori@yahoogroups.com

        Amy Moore changed who took school pictures about 3 yrs ago. Not sure if it was her decision as it seems all of Des Moines Public is using Herff-Jones/Jolesch. The former vendor, if I remember, was even more expensive.

        Nina

        Jaci <jacqualine_laferriere@...> wrote:

        >I was trying to figure out which package to get for picture day, and I wanted it to be the same as the one I got for my daughter who goes to Western Hills. As I was looking I discovered that they are charging Cowles parents more money and giving less pictures. They are both the same Heff Jones, Inc, but I'm not sure if it is the exact same photographers. I'm thinking of not even getting any since I can go to target or jcpenney and get $3.99 a sheet. Who decides on the photographer and/or price? Is the school/district getting a kick back for these?

      • Melissa Winters
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 26 7:22 AM
          I forwarded this thread to Liz, here's her response -

          Hello everyone!

          The school pictures and company were set last spring by Mrs. Moore. Neither the school nor the district get a kickback. The company sets up the packages. I would be happy to check into the costs. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.
          Liz

          Liz Mashek, Principal
          Cowles Montessori
          6401 College Avenue
          Windsor Heights, Iowa 50324
          515-242-7818

          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 26 9:24 AM
            Whoops! I checked with Nancy and we do get a percentage of sales. She thought we got $500.00-$600.00 last year! I am checking into this with the sales representative too.

            Liz Mashek, Principal
            Cowles Montessori
            6401College Avenue
            Windsor Heights, Iowa 50324
            515-242-7818

          • eliz.maxwell@mchsi.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 26 10:46 AM
              Yes. It's a great fundraiser for any school. It's definitely a reason to "photographer shop" but it's also probably the reason we'll need to utilize a larger company.

              From: "Melissa Winters" <melowinters@...>
              Sender: cowlesmontessori@yahoogroups.com
              Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 16:24:55 -0000
              To: <cowlesmontessori@yahoogroups.com>
              ReplyTo: cowlesmontessori@yahoogroups.com
              Subject: [cowlesmontessori] Re: Picture Day

              Whoops! I checked with Nancy and we do get a percentage of sales. She thought we got $500.00-$600.00 last year! I am checking into this with the sales representative too.

              Liz Mashek, Principal
              Cowles Montessori
              6401College Avenue
              Windsor Heights, Iowa 50324
              515-242-7818

              --- In cowlesmontessori@yahoogroups.com, "Melissa Winters" <melowinters@...> wrote:

              > I forwarded this thread to Liz, here's her response -
              >
              > Hello everyone!
              >
              > The school pictures and company were set last spring by Mrs. Moore. Neither the school nor the district get a kickback. The company sets up the packages. I would be happy to check into the costs. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.
              > Liz
              >
              > Liz Mashek, Principal
              > Cowles Montessori
              > 6401 College Avenue
              > Windsor Heights, Iowa 50324
              > 515-242-7818
              >
              > --- In cowlesmontessori@yahoogroups.com, lorafraracci@ wrote:
              > >
              > > Amy originally hired these guys because they were local and they tacked on freebies, ie taking free pics at dances and other events throughout the school year. We actually turned those "free pics" into fundraisers by selling them for a small fee on site at the events. The pics also were printed on site at the events so it made for a nice memento. I believe a lot of the pics taken by Jolesch at various events throughout the year were then used in the year book as well. If asked they probably would have taken pictures on the Peace Walk.
              > >
              > > Best practice should be to find out what the deal is and see if we can get a even better deal. Liz can call and get the "scoop" and bring info to next meeting.
              > >
              > > Lora Fraracci
              > > Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone, powered by CREDO Mobile.

            • Jaci
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 26 6:10 PM
                I'm glad to know that the school is getting something out of this, so I will definitely order some. Thanks for the info.