Picture Day

  • Jaci
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 25, 2011
      I was trying to figure out which package to get for picture day, and I wanted it to be the same as the one I got for my daughter who goes to Western Hills. As I was looking I discovered that they are charging Cowles parents more money and giving less pictures. They are both the same Heff Jones, Inc, but I'm not sure if it is the exact same photographers. I'm thinking of not even getting any since I can go to target or jcpenney and get $3.99 a sheet. Who decides on the photographer and/or price? Is the school/district getting a kick back for these?
    • NPack
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 26, 2011
        Amy Moore changed who took school pictures about 3 yrs ago. Not sure if it was her decision as it seems all of Des Moines Public is using Herff-Jones/Jolesch. The former vendor, if I remember, was even more expensive.

        Nina

      • sukaropop@aol.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 26, 2011
          I know of a terrific local photog who does schools in some surrounding towns and she is much less expensive with better quality. Perhaps good conversation at next cmpg mtg? I totally agree.

          From: NPack <e_n_pack@...>
          Sender: cowlesmontessori@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 06:07:03 -0500
          To: <cowlesmontessori@yahoogroups.com>
          ReplyTo: cowlesmontessori@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: Re: [cowlesmontessori] Picture Day

        • eliz.maxwell@mchsi.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 26, 2011
            I agree - I'd much rather our money go to a local photographer; it would really align with much of our school's philosophy. Unfortunately, if Herff Jones is like the other big school picture companies, I think you'll find that the school makes a lot of money off of picture sales (why else would all of the schools start doing TWO picture days a year) and no local photographer can compete with that.

            From: sukaropop@...
            Sender: cowlesmontessori@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 11:19:56 +0000
            To: <cowlesmontessori@yahoogroups.com>

            From: NPack <e_n_pack@...>
            Sender: cowlesmontessori@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 06:07:03 -0500
            To: <cowlesmontessori@yahoogroups.com>
            ReplyTo: cowlesmontessori@yahoogroups.com

            Amy Moore changed who took school pictures about 3 yrs ago. Not sure if it was her decision as it seems all of Des Moines Public is using Herff-Jones/Jolesch. The former vendor, if I remember, was even more expensive.

            Nina

            Jaci <jacqualine_laferriere@...> wrote:

            >I was trying to figure out which package to get for picture day, and I wanted it to be the same as the one I got for my daughter who goes to Western Hills. As I was looking I discovered that they are charging Cowles parents more money and giving less pictures. They are both the same Heff Jones, Inc, but I'm not sure if it is the exact same photographers. I'm thinking of not even getting any since I can go to target or jcpenney and get $3.99 a sheet. Who decides on the photographer and/or price? Is the school/district getting a kick back for these?

          • Judy Diedrichs
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 26, 2011
              The previous photographer was LifeTouch and they were more expensive. I'm all for looking for someone local as well.  It may be a district wide contract though.  Definitely a question Liz can answer.

              Judy
              From: sukaropop@...
              Sender: cowlesmontessori@yahoogroups.com
              Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 11:19:56 +0000
              To: <cowlesmontessori@yahoogroups.com>

              From: NPack <e_n_pack@...>
              Sender: cowlesmontessori@yahoogroups.com
              Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 06:07:03 -0500
              To: <cowlesmontessori@yahoogroups.com>

            • lorafraracci@gmail.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 26, 2011
                Amy originally hired these guys because they were local and they tacked on freebies, ie taking free pics at dances and other events throughout the school year. We actually turned those "free pics" into fundraisers by selling them for a small fee on site at the events. The pics also were printed on site at the events so it made for a nice memento. I believe a lot of the pics taken by Jolesch at various events throughout the year were then used in the year book as well. If asked they probably would have taken pictures on the Peace Walk.

                Best practice should be to find out what the deal is and see if we can get a even better deal. Liz can call and get the "scoop" and bring info to next meeting.

                Lora Fraracci

                Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone, powered by CREDO Mobile.

                From: eliz.maxwell@...
                Sender: cowlesmontessori@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 12:22:18 +0000
                To: <cowlesmontessori@yahoogroups.com>

                From: sukaropop@...
                Sender: cowlesmontessori@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 11:19:56 +0000
                To: <cowlesmontessori@yahoogroups.com>

                From: NPack <e_n_pack@...>
                Sender: cowlesmontessori@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 06:07:03 -0500
                To: <cowlesmontessori@yahoogroups.com>
                ReplyTo: cowlesmontessori@yahoogroups.com

                Amy Moore changed who took school pictures about 3 yrs ago. Not sure if it was her decision as it seems all of Des Moines Public is using Herff-Jones/Jolesch. The former vendor, if I remember, was even more expensive.

                Nina

                Jaci <jacqualine_laferriere@...> wrote:

                >I was trying to figure out which package to get for picture day, and I wanted it to be the same as the one I got for my daughter who goes to Western Hills. As I was looking I discovered that they are charging Cowles parents more money and giving less pictures. They are both the same Heff Jones, Inc, but I'm not sure if it is the exact same photographers. I'm thinking of not even getting any since I can go to target or jcpenney and get $3.99 a sheet. Who decides on the photographer and/or price? Is the school/district getting a kick back for these?

              • Melissa Winters
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 26, 2011
                  I forwarded this thread to Liz, here's her response -

                  Hello everyone!

                  The school pictures and company were set last spring by Mrs. Moore. Neither the school nor the district get a kickback. The company sets up the packages. I would be happy to check into the costs. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.
                  Liz

                  Liz Mashek, Principal
                  Cowles Montessori
                  6401 College Avenue
                  Windsor Heights, Iowa 50324
                  515-242-7818

                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 26, 2011
                    Whoops! I checked with Nancy and we do get a percentage of sales. She thought we got $500.00-$600.00 last year! I am checking into this with the sales representative too.

                    Liz Mashek, Principal
                    Cowles Montessori
                    6401College Avenue
                    Windsor Heights, Iowa 50324
                    515-242-7818

                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 26, 2011
                      Yes. It's a great fundraiser for any school. It's definitely a reason to "photographer shop" but it's also probably the reason we'll need to utilize a larger company.

                      From: "Melissa Winters" <melowinters@...>
                      Sender: cowlesmontessori@yahoogroups.com
                      Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 16:24:55 -0000
                      To: <cowlesmontessori@yahoogroups.com>
                      ReplyTo: cowlesmontessori@yahoogroups.com
                      Subject: [cowlesmontessori] Re: Picture Day

                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 26, 2011
                        I'm glad to know that the school is getting something out of this, so I will definitely order some. Thanks for the info.