Re: [cowlesmontessori] open enrollment issue

  • sukaropop@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 2, 2011
      Hey Amanda- I have a friend for whom it was actually the opposite where WDM was very late in notifying them that they gotten in their neighborhood school (after they had already enrolled in cowles etc) so clearly they should have an understanding that the final acceptance process often occurs after district cutoff dates- they are guilty of the same thing. I would keep pushing- they'll back down.

      From: "akruse4" <akruse111@...>
      Sender: cowlesmontessori@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2011 17:11:18 -0000
      To: <cowlesmontessori@yahoogroups.com>
      ReplyTo: cowlesmontessori@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [cowlesmontessori] open enrollment issue

      Hello! It was suggested by another Cowles parent that I post our situation to this list to see if anyone else has had a similar experience and how they may have dealt with it.

      My son is in 6th grade at Cowles and loves it. My daughter is in 3rd grade and had been on the waiting list at Cowles until June when the new classroom was approved. She was accepted to Cowles then, so I submitted her open enrollment app. to the WDM school district. They have denied her application because it was past the March 1 deadline. I have requested that they reverse that decision, but my contact in WDM is very doubtful it will be reversed. I've taken the approach that Montessori is not available in our district, but they are stuck on that missed deadline. DMPS cannot do anything.

      Any suggestions or similar situations would be greatly appreciated!!!

      Thank you so much,
      Amanda Kruse

    • akruse4
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 2, 2011
        Thank you so much to all of you! Cowles parents are incredible!

        I've contacted all of the WDM board members and spoken to one. The one I spoke to was incredibly helpful; he advised I resubmit the app. with additional information. Though he didn't say it would necessarily be approved, at least we have a second chance!

        Thanks again,
        Amanda

        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 2, 2011
          Glad you heard back from at least one person! Seven years ago I contacted all the board members about a totally different kind of issue (and it was a very different board, only one person from that era is on the board now), but I remember two of them were very helpful.

          One of the WDM board members, Liz Brennan, is a Montessori teacher herself. She may understand where you are coming from.

          Laurie

        • adam.egherman@gmail.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 4, 2011
            Unfortunately, this is about educational dollars. WDM school district will lose money. It would be great if there were more public Montessori schools in the state of Iowa, and especially around here.