Re: open enrollment issue

  • rileysmom515
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 2, 2011
      I would try to appeal to a School Board Member?

      http://www.wdmcs.org/district/schoolboard/members.php

      this is a link to the list of WDM School Board Members. I also thought that they were supposed to consider where a sibling went to school when making the decision.

      We open enrolled our son from WDM to Cowles without any problems, but we were within the deadline. I mean I can understand having a deadline, but if Cowles didn't have an opening until after that time, well you would think they could be flexible with that!

      You need to go to someone higher up!

      Good Luck,
      Barb Niccum

    • eliz.maxwell@mchsi.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 2, 2011
        Milton Cole Duvall is a board member who also leads at the church where I work/worship. His daughter went to Cowles for a year. He may be sympathetic? Not sure if he can help.....

        From: "akruse4" <akruse111@...>
        Sender: cowlesmontessori@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2011 17:11:18 -0000
        To: <cowlesmontessori@yahoogroups.com>
        ReplyTo: cowlesmontessori@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [cowlesmontessori] open enrollment issue

      • sukaropop@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 2, 2011
          Hey Amanda- I have a friend for whom it was actually the opposite where WDM was very late in notifying them that they gotten in their neighborhood school (after they had already enrolled in cowles etc) so clearly they should have an understanding that the final acceptance process often occurs after district cutoff dates- they are guilty of the same thing. I would keep pushing- they'll back down.

          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 2, 2011
            Thank you so much to all of you! Cowles parents are incredible!

            I've contacted all of the WDM board members and spoken to one. The one I spoke to was incredibly helpful; he advised I resubmit the app. with additional information. Though he didn't say it would necessarily be approved, at least we have a second chance!

            Thanks again,
            Amanda

            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 2, 2011
              Glad you heard back from at least one person! Seven years ago I contacted all the board members about a totally different kind of issue (and it was a very different board, only one person from that era is on the board now), but I remember two of them were very helpful.

              One of the WDM board members, Liz Brennan, is a Montessori teacher herself. She may understand where you are coming from.

              Laurie

            • adam.egherman@gmail.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 4, 2011
                Unfortunately, this is about educational dollars. WDM school district will lose money. It would be great if there were more public Montessori schools in the state of Iowa, and especially around here.