Re: [cowlesmontessori] open enrollment issue

  • Eric Pack
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 2, 2011
      Amanda,

      Have you tried going to the WDM school board to plead your case?   DMPS contacted you after the deadline about your daughter and that is no fault of yours.  Did you go at the angle?  You may have, but just a thought.

      Good luck!
      Nina Pack

      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 2, 2011
        I would contact every current member of the West Des Moines school board (phone probably better than e-mail, harder to ignore). If you have any friends who are personally acquainted with a WDM school board member, have those people contact the board members on your behalf.

        I would emphasize that of course you understand the reasoning behind their policy on deadlines, and you had every intention of applying for open enrollment before March 1, but you were unable to do so because of a delay that was outside your control (the new classroom opening up).

        Good luck! Sometimes being persistent and not taking the first, second or third no for an answer can get results.

        Laurie

        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 2, 2011
          I would try to appeal to a School Board Member?

          http://www.wdmcs.org/district/schoolboard/members.php

          this is a link to the list of WDM School Board Members. I also thought that they were supposed to consider where a sibling went to school when making the decision.

          We open enrolled our son from WDM to Cowles without any problems, but we were within the deadline. I mean I can understand having a deadline, but if Cowles didn't have an opening until after that time, well you would think they could be flexible with that!

          You need to go to someone higher up!

          Good Luck,
          Barb Niccum

        • eliz.maxwell@mchsi.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 2, 2011
            Milton Cole Duvall is a board member who also leads at the church where I work/worship. His daughter went to Cowles for a year. He may be sympathetic? Not sure if he can help.....

            From: "akruse4" <akruse111@...>
            Sender: cowlesmontessori@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2011 17:11:18 -0000
            To: <cowlesmontessori@yahoogroups.com>
            ReplyTo: cowlesmontessori@yahoogroups.com

          • sukaropop@aol.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 2, 2011
              Hey Amanda- I have a friend for whom it was actually the opposite where WDM was very late in notifying them that they gotten in their neighborhood school (after they had already enrolled in cowles etc) so clearly they should have an understanding that the final acceptance process often occurs after district cutoff dates- they are guilty of the same thing. I would keep pushing- they'll back down.

              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 2, 2011
                Thank you so much to all of you! Cowles parents are incredible!

                I've contacted all of the WDM board members and spoken to one. The one I spoke to was incredibly helpful; he advised I resubmit the app. with additional information. Though he didn't say it would necessarily be approved, at least we have a second chance!

                Thanks again,
                Amanda

                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 2, 2011
                  Glad you heard back from at least one person! Seven years ago I contacted all the board members about a totally different kind of issue (and it was a very different board, only one person from that era is on the board now), but I remember two of them were very helpful.

                  One of the WDM board members, Liz Brennan, is a Montessori teacher herself. She may understand where you are coming from.

                  Laurie

                • adam.egherman@gmail.com
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 4, 2011
                    Unfortunately, this is about educational dollars. WDM school district will lose money. It would be great if there were more public Montessori schools in the state of Iowa, and especially around here.