Re: Cowles Radio

  • paxsonbill
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 30, 2007

      Thanks for the plug, Shari!  I seriously think podcasting is in our future.

      The only question is, how far into our future. I'm experiencing some "techincal difficulties" with our seriously outdated Pentium III laptop—which is our recording/editing platform.  Then there is the question of getting files uploaded. I don't know if this computer is still set up for access to the district network. (There is no connection in our closet/studio in the library, so I'd have to move it, I suppose.) Then there is the question of whether the district network will allow me to upload a podcast, in the first place. They have restrictions about what goes in and out of their servers. Also, I can't burn a CD and upload from home, as the laptop doesn't have a CD burner.

      Besides podcasting, I have goals to:

      • get more kids involved in writing/reporting*
      • get me off the air, as much as possible
      • get more pre-recorded informational pieces "in the can"
      • get more teachers to send me information. (Many don't send me any news, despite my repeated pleas to be included in their weekly parent e-mail distribution list).  Yes, I know we are repetitive. If you haven't heard anything about your kid's class, bug their teacher!
      • work out a recording/playback regime to serve parents who arrive at times other than 3:00.
      • Figure out a way to record school events (like this morning's authors' brunch).

      * Previous attempts at kid reporting have largely failed due to their reluctance to do what amounts to be extra homework, and my reluctance to spend a lot of time riding their butts to get the stories done.

      Ok, so I'm rambling.  Did I mention podcasting is somewhere in our future?  :D

      BTW, tune in Thursday at 3:00 for an inteview with Nan Kloberdanz!

      Reset your preset!

      Bill Paxson

      "To announce that there must be no criticism of the president,
      or that we are to stand by the president right or wrong,
      is not only unpatriotic and servile,
      but is morally treasonable to the American public."
       Â–Theodore Roosevelt