Cowles Radio

  • grateful_mom
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 26, 2007
      a reminder of events going on. For those who are able to be in the
      school vicinity during pick-up (2:50-3:15ish), tune into 91.9 FM. To
      submit items, email cowlesradio@....

      I'm not technically savvy, but could the radio broadcasts be turned
      into podcasts and posted to the yahoo group?

      Thanks Sandee.
      I don't want to highjack this group solely for the purpose of "Oh
      yeah. What day and time is that thingamajig going to be again?"....
      but.... I see that it could be helpful. Papers just don't always seem
      to stay put! Or get put on the calendar. =(
      Jessica
    • paxsonbill
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 30, 2007

        Thanks for the plug, Shari!  I seriously think podcasting is in our future.

        The only question is, how far into our future. I'm experiencing some "techincal difficulties" with our seriously outdated Pentium III laptop—which is our recording/editing platform.  Then there is the question of getting files uploaded. I don't know if this computer is still set up for access to the district network. (There is no connection in our closet/studio in the library, so I'd have to move it, I suppose.) Then there is the question of whether the district network will allow me to upload a podcast, in the first place. They have restrictions about what goes in and out of their servers. Also, I can't burn a CD and upload from home, as the laptop doesn't have a CD burner.

        Besides podcasting, I have goals to:

        • get more kids involved in writing/reporting*
        • get me off the air, as much as possible
        • get more pre-recorded informational pieces "in the can"
        • get more teachers to send me information. (Many don't send me any news, despite my repeated pleas to be included in their weekly parent e-mail distribution list).  Yes, I know we are repetitive. If you haven't heard anything about your kid's class, bug their teacher!
        • work out a recording/playback regime to serve parents who arrive at times other than 3:00.
        • Figure out a way to record school events (like this morning's authors' brunch).

        * Previous attempts at kid reporting have largely failed due to their reluctance to do what amounts to be extra homework, and my reluctance to spend a lot of time riding their butts to get the stories done.

        Ok, so I'm rambling.  Did I mention podcasting is somewhere in our future?  :D

        BTW, tune in Thursday at 3:00 for an inteview with Nan Kloberdanz!

        Reset your preset!

        Bill Paxson

        "To announce that there must be no criticism of the president,
        or that we are to stand by the president right or wrong,
        is not only unpatriotic and servile,
        but is morally treasonable to the American public."
         Â–Theodore Roosevelt