Islam taking over in the US

  • Edgar Ibarra
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 21, 2004
      Check this out!!!:  I thought Michigan had a strong Reformed Dutch presence!?!

      U.S. National - AP
      AP
      Mich. City OKs Islamic Calls to Prayer
      Tue Apr 20,11:50 PM ET
      Add U.S. National - AP to My Yahoo!

      HAMTRAMCK, Mich. - The City Council gave preliminary approval Tuesday night to a mosque's plans to send out a call to prayer to Muslims on a loudspeaker.

      Photo
      AP Photo

      The Bangladeshi al-Islah mosque wants to air the Arabic call to prayer via loudspeakers five times a day, but agreed Tuesday not to air the calls before 6 a.m. or after 10 p.m.

      The council indicated it would give the plan final approval next week.

      Some Muslims say the call is the equivalent of church bells. Opponents argued that church bells have no religious significance and that allowing the Arabic call, which lasts less than two minutes, unfairly elevates Islam above other religions.

      www.albanycrpc.org                        www.ecn.ab.ca/prce

      Do you Yahoo!?