On Women Voting

  • Ginny Dohms
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 18 6:02 PM
      Do any of you well-read people, Bishop's Doom or GMW, or any others, that
      can direct me to any of our standards, or books written by our Covenanted
      Forefathers, that deal with women voting either in church matters, or in
      civil matters. I imagine the two would be connected. I know neither gender
      can lawfully vote on civil matters in a gov't such as the ones that the
      states and Canada have now, but I am thinking of a time when we do have
      lawfully constituted ones, as well as in a church now when voting on elder,
      deacon or pastor elections. I am sure the subject is somewhat connected to
      male
      headship, so any documents or books that you can recommend that may address
      this issue would be greatly appreciated.

      Thanks.....Ginny
    • Kurt Fiech
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 28 10:55 PM
        Ginny,

        What you ask is easily answered in that "women" and "voting" are a
        contradiction in terms in the times of the Covenanted Forefathers.
        Women were either under the covering of their father or under the
        covering of their husband. English law even recognized the legal
        existence of the woman was "incorporated and consolidated into that
        of the husband." (William Blackstone, Commentaries on the Laws of
        England, pp.442-443). They were one flesh. So any voting that went on
        was cast by the husband or father in the name of the family unit. A
        wonderful discussion of the familial covenantal living can be found
        in the book, In The Name of God, Amen: Rediscovering Biblical and
        Historic Covenants by Daniel J. Ford, Lex Rex Publishing, 2003.

        Regards,
        Kurt

        --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Ginny Dohms"