Re: A Scottish-Presbyterian review of "The Passion" film

  • Karsten Nordmo
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2004
      "The Passion of the Christ" [film] cleared away a lot of
      > the debri=> s > and helped me to think about Jesus and to love him
      > more. How can that be > wrong?

      Hello,

      I wasn't able to locate the article I was thinking of or maybe it was
      in another piece.

      I would like to throw this out, though. How is the above quote any
      different from icon worship ? Really. I can't believe the reaction to
      this film ("historically and scripturally accurate" being the
      oft-repeated phrase, when it's not) and the setting aside of the
      Second Commandment and the means of worship from most in the Reformed
      community, it seems.

      FWIW,
      Karsten
    • s.padbury@tiscali.co.uk
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 2, 2004
        Quoting Colin' paste-in from the FC of Scotland:-

        <<"The RP statement [against Mel Gibson's film] then goes on to declare
        that the message of the film is that of `Roman Catholicism, not Biblical
        Christianity' and attacks `Mel
        Gibson's non-existant pseudo-christ' as contrasted with `the Christ who
        really saves, the Christ of the Scriptures'. I find such language ill informed
        and deeply offensive. If it is accurate then I am a Roman Catholic and
        I believe in the same Christ as Mel Gibson.">>

        Quoting myself:-

        <<The Second Commandment does not merely cover worship that take place within
        public acts at stated times, but it covers *any* man-graven image that is
        intended to portray God. Never can we accept a man-made depiction of anything
        in the universe, adopting as our own belief concerning that man-made thing,
        "This is indeed a representation of my god. My god is (even somewhat) like
        this thing."
        It is because we always, men always, misrepresent God (Christ Himself alone
        excepted); and by however much we do so, by that much we dishonour God.
        And besides this dishonour that is always done, the artist (metal-worker,
        painter, actor) and the approver thereof are also violating God's revealed
        commandment.>>

        I say moreover:-

        It is obvious from that FC member's own words that he thinks Mel Gibson's
        portrayal of Christ is the Scriptural Christ, indeed he agrees that the
        film is Scripturally accurate in most places at least.

        Besides this, and moving on from the Second Commandment to further discuss
        this movie which I have no intension of seeing:-

        (1.) We Reformed Christians have no hesitation to say that the teachings
        of the Romish church concernig the sacrifice of the Lord Jesus Christ are
        not the true, Scriptural gospel.

        (2.) Mel Gibson obviously would not have betrayed his own thinking concerning
        these matters, or his beloved hard-line form of the doctrines of Rome concerning
        the sacrifice of their version of the Lord Jesus Christ, or his own priest(s),
        or his pope.

        (3.) We know that there are many high ranking Romanists who are on record
        as giving this movie their approval. And that's an understatement!

        (4.) Therefore we can do no other (I intentionally echo Martin Luther here)
        than conclude that this is an heretical, blasphemous, anti-Christian and
        anti-Christ movie.

        Metaphorically speaking, you have to be blind not to see this.

        Sincerely,

        Simon Padbury.

        Broadband from an unbeatable £15.99!

        http://www.tiscali.co.uk/products/broadband/home.html?code=SM-NL-11AM