Lesbian pastor ok to preach

  • Benjamin Hart
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 21, 2004
      Hi all,

      If at anytime you start to get worn down by some of the rhetoric that people use against separation principles, I think this article is great to remind ourselves of what we're fighting against.

      -Ben

      PS - sorry for cross posting.

      Do you Yahoo!?

    • Thomas Britton
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 21, 2004
        Three quotes:

        1. From the story: The [church] jury [made up of pastors!]said it
        made its decision 'after many hours of painful and prayerful
        deliberations, and listening for and to the word of God. "We realize
        that the church is divided regarding issues related to
        homosexuality," the jury said in its statement. "We, the Trial Court,
        are far from unanimous regarding biblical and theological
        understandings."

        2. Search engine result: "Called Out" is an information service about
        LGBT religious concerns sponsored by Affirmation: United Methodists
        for Lesbian, Gay, and Transgendered Concerns. Affirmation is not an
        official body of the UMC. This is a public, read-only mailing list.
        Anyone may join, no matter what their opinions. The sponsors of this
        list support full inclusion and justice for LGBT people in society
        and The United Methodist Church.

        3. From an earlier story posted at UMCalledOut:

        Asked how she felt after the committee's postponement, the Rev. Ms.
        Dammann simply said: "I'm very eager to get back to my work as pastor
        in Ellensburg, especially at this holy, busy time of the year. Today
        I feel even more called to Christian ministry than I did a year ago.
        This wonderful congregation has affirmed my call and welcomes my
        ministry. The members have been totally supportive, as together we
        form a community of Christ. If we have to wait another month for the
        decision, I will be about the work of the church."

        [I heard on a Black History month story this week, that the
        Methodists started ordaining women in the late 1700s]
      • Thomas Britton
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 21, 2004
          What do sodomites, seances, the women's rights movement &
          an "ecumenical theology called Transcendentalism" have in common?

          If you guessed bobbed hair & bloomers, you're close, but sadly, no
          cigar. The answer is in ...

          A Gay Quaker Timeline, 1820s-1950s

          http://www.generalpicture.com/gqh.htm

          Pay special attention to the footnotes.

          "The Quaker religion which [the Hicksites] founded is something which
          it is impossible to overpraise."

          --William James, Lecture 1: Religion and Neurology,in "Varieties of
          Religious Experience," 1902.
        • Deejay
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 21, 2004
            Well,  this was in the British press a year or two ago:

            Had to search for this story, and to do a search for Vicar+sex  brings up some very  debauchered headlines.

            ~Deejay
            3. From an earlier story posted at UMCalledOut:

            Asked how she felt after the committee's postponement, the Rev. Ms.
            Dammann simply said: "I'm very eager to get back to my work as pastor
            in Ellensburg, especially at this holy, busy time of the year. Today
            I feel even more called to Christian ministry than I did a year ago.
            This wonderful congregation has affirmed my call and welcomes my
            ministry. The members have been totally supportive, as together we
            form a community of Christ. If we have to wait another month for the
            decision, I will be about the work of the church."

            [I heard on a Black History month story this week, that the
            Methodists started ordaining women in the late 1700s]

            Delivery confirmed by confimax.com
          • Thomas Britton
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 21, 2004
              Who's Lying to You About Early Feminism?

              http://familyops.us/anthonyproject/index.html

              4 articles on Susan B. Anthony by the . My favorite being the
              last, "Susan B. Anthony: Lucifer's Babe?"

              These are only informative if the links are followed.

              Tom

              (Note to self: don't put "Gay + Quaker" into a search engine, w/o
              several hours free to surf)