my bio, my thanx, my question

  • arline
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 15, 2004
      I love reading the daily email I get from this group which has
      all the postings, I figured I'd never post. I'm a homeschooling
      housewife, not a brilliant theologian, elder, or pastor. (But I've
      learned a ton from you guys, thanx.)
      I originally had an email prepared to send one of you brilliant
      types, asking a Mormon related question, but I figured the guy will
      think I'm an internet stalker & I better just post the question for
      all of you. Here's my bio:
      I was born into a Roman Catholic (RC from now on) home, I
      detested the hypocrisy & by God's grace, was far more cynical of RC
      theology than a normal kid. This got me into tons of trouble at
      home, and I responded sinfully by rejecting this version of god &
      becoming a devil worshipper.
      All of satanism is based on the lie that the RC mass is true &
      acceptable worship of God, so in my rejecting RC'osism in favor of
      satanism, all I was doing was trading one apostate form of worship
      for an imitation of it, which I detested. Too much of the same
      thing.
      The literature for devil worshippers is poorly written, as if
      idiots alone like to read about worshipping the devil, in order, I
      suspect, to have as broad an appeal as possible, with throw-away one
      liners that were probably ghost written for Anton LaVey by people
      who write horoscopes for a living. This is what God used to get me
      disenchanted with satanism.
      Next came "the cult years", & rejecting Christ as God. Then one
      day God in His sovereign providence sent me a real, live Christian,
      not just one who claimed to be one. She showed me where Christ in
      His Word claimed Deity, John 8:58 & Ex 3:14.
      Skip forward a few years, I was one day invited to church, a
      solid, Psalm singing Reformed Church, where they were faithful to
      share the Gospel with me although I had at this point, a pretty
      Christian- looking life: I was a home schooling heathen, who knew
      the Bible & referred to it all the time & could talk about God all
      day long, but if you tried to pin me down about Christ, it became
      obvious I didn't know what I was talking about.
      One day I was reading the Westminster Larger Catechism's section
      on the 10 commandments & was stunned to learn there are other things
      besides devil worship that God considers sinful. At that instant in
      time, I suddenly understood my sin before a holy God, the Gospel
      made perfect sense to me as the only way to deal with my sin, and
      Acts 9:18 is the only way I can describe my conversion. One second
      prior to that I was dead in my sins, thinking Christianity was
      entirely based on how someone's life looked like on the outside;
      suddenly I was blessed with an understanding of the truth, that in
      Christ was a relationship w/ God based on His atonement for me,
      because we are all so dreadfully horrid on the inside.

      Now for my question. In my town in the midwest is a ton of
      Mormons, for some reason. God in His Ephesians 2:10'ing of me has
      given me the desire to witness to them (& other cult ppl).
      With the way they define diety, as pertains to Christ, obviously
      it's not true Diety, as defined by the economic & ontological roles
      of the Trinity. They claim they believe He is God, but the way they
      define the word "God", shows they think He is just a guy like us.
      But when I start jabbering away about how a version of Christ that
      doesn't share God's attributes, using Van Til's
      argument that when we die we will never become omniscient,
      omnipresent, etc. therefore, not "gods" the way they claim Christ
      is, I just lose 'em. They just have no clue what I'm talking about.
      If I don't get into explaining proper theology, they at least are
      able to depart understanding why they disagree with me. But as soon
      as I go this 'theological definition & argument over terms' way,
      they no longer understand what on earth I'm jabbering away about.
      But, to agree with them (by not addressing their wrong definition of
      god as pertains to Christ) I don't feel I'm properly witnessing to
      them, but aiding & abetting them in their sin.
      I'm a die hard Calvinist, by God's grace, I know if someone is
      the elect, they will convert in spite of me or anyone else's
      imperfect attempts. This isn't a question of 'what's the most
      effective way to evangelize Mormons', it's: Is this an issue of
      Mormons not 'getting it' a Spiritual, or intellectual one? Is this
      too abstract a way to witness to them? Or is it just 2 Corin 2:15-16.
      (I don't mention Van Til, big theological words, the
      word, "Ontological" never comes up even once, etc. I do try to keep
      it simple)
      Thanx for your help.
      (& thanx for the update on how the poetry reading went! So exciting
      to hear of soft hearted Mormons!)
    • Dan Fraas
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 16, 2004
        Hey Arline.

        I'd say you were talking over their head because Mormons are rarely
        taught about God. They have few definitive doctrinal definitions on
        how they should define, "God." There are disagreements between
        Mormons, and they don't see it as a big issue. For Mormons, theology
        is flexible. I've heard a Mormon describe God as something to call
        the collective trio of Father, Son, and Holy Spirit even though they
        are considered separate, finite, and not eternally-coexistent
        beings. Others would describe Jesus as a "god" and the Father as
        another "god."

        Big issues for them are that they must live righteous lives and obey
        the Mormon prophet so that they may gain entrance to the celestial
        kingdom. My pastor has said on many occasions that the denial of
        Christ's deity is really a symptom of someone who doesn't see the
        seriousness of sin which required the eternal, omnipotent Creator to
        atone for sinners. I think this is a very helpful insight. Mormons
        don't understand the seriousness of sin, the wrath of God, or the
        fate of the wicked.

        For Christ's Crown and Covenant!

        Riley
        --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "arline"

      • thebishopsdoom
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 16, 2004
          <covenantmama@m...> wrote:
          > I originally had an email prepared to send one of you brilliant
          > types, asking a Mormon related question, but I figured the guy will
          > think I'm an internet stalker & I better just post the question for
          > all of you.
          Some of us know a thing or two about female internet stalkers asking
          a lot of mormon related questions. (Ain't that right GMW? wink, wink,
          nudge, nudge.)

          >Is this an issue of
          > Mormons not 'getting it' a Spiritual, or intellectual one? Is this
          > too abstract a way to witness to them?
          I think it is probably both. On the one hand, one need not be
          surprised by a spiritual blindness, on the other hand, not everyone
          is ready and able to grasp a philosophical question, even if you try
          to boil down in what to you seems like simpler terms.
          The problem with the mormons is that unlike the Watchtower Society,
          for example, they don't seem to make any claim to accept the Bible
          wholeheartedly. Nor do they like liberal theology just decide to pick
          and choose what they like, where you might hit them with what basis
          they accept one thing as divine if they reject another. Instead, it
          seems to me (from what exposure I've had) that they hold the Bible to
          have been at some point corrupted, and the "divine revelation" of the
          Books of Mormon, the Pearl, and Doctrines and Covenants, as well as
          the "apostolic" and prophetic leadership of whoever happens to be
          their current "pope" as it were (think it's still Hinckley
          currently), leads them to accept certain Scriptures as accurate, and
          others as having been tainted over time, based on their agreement
          with the word of their cult, which they hold as divinely revealed,
          and thus to them, trustworthy if it corrects ancient texts that were
          allegedly corrupted over time. So with some of them at least, it may
          be difficult in that they might be prone to resort to a "the Bible
          was early on corrupted and God fixed that by revealing the truth to
          Smith and the mormon prophets" type of argument to get out of an
          exegetical knot. This is just my impression. I don't have a whole lot
          of experience dealing directly with mormon apologetics. They don't
          tend to stop at my door (I usually get people from the Watchtower
          Society - though they seemed to have stopped coming as well a few
          years ago). I've read some materials on mormonism, but because I
          haven't dealt with them directly, I can't speak much for dealing with
          them directly. I would like to suggest what I feel are some decent
          resources that may be helpful in dealing with them tho. I recommend
          these as far as they address mormonism, some are not necessarily
          reformed in their doctrinal outlook, so I won't vouch 100% for
          everything you might bump into, but a number of resources they have
          may be helpful in one way or another.
          First, Alpha and Omega has some stuff on mormonism, some of which
          deals more particularly with doctrinal issues:
          http://aomin.org/Mormonism.html There you will find in particular
          a "100 verse Bible memory system" for witnessing to mormons,
          introducing you to some Bible verses both good for apologetics in
          general, and also for dealing with mormons in particular, and how to
          use the verses - http://aomin.org/MEMVER.html. I'll admit I'm
          horrible at rote memorization myself and should take note of some of
          his hints for Bible memorization. I wish I had more scripture
          committed to memory. There are a number of other helpful essays, and
          you might in particular find the Letters to a Mormon Elder helpful.
          James White is also a reformed baptist, which means at the very least
          that he's calvinistic. And he's also had a number of refereed public
          debates with mormon apologists.
          http://www.utlm.org/ - this is Utah Lighthouse Ministry, operated by
          the Tanners. I don't know much about the Tanners except when dealing
          with mormon apologetics it seems their name quite often comes up.
          They offer several resources on mormon history, including forgeries,
          massacres, changes in doctrines, changes in the Book of Mormon, etc.,
          as well as some general articles on Mormon beliefs.
          http://www.utlm.org/navtopicalindex.htm is a topical listing of where
          to find info on specific things, with links to materials in the
          newsletters, articles, and online books available at their site.
          http://www.irr.org/mit/default.html is Mormons in Transition. Have
          some resources that seem of interest. Mainly seem to center on
          credentials of certain foundational Mormon claims about the book of
          Mormon and Joseph Smith. It's from the Institute for Religious
          Research. They proclaim to be a nondenominational group.
          Lastly, apart from any general anti-cult books you might find dealing
          with mormonism, there was a book put out by Cambridge Univ. press
          called The Refiner's Fire: the Making of Mormon Cosmology 1644-1844,
          by John L. Brooks. Secular book on the origins of mormonism and some
          of their history. I don't know how much of it will be helpful in
          addressing to mormons directly, but it should be helpful in getting a
          better grasp of where they are coming from - what movements helped to
          develop into what became mormonism at the hands of Joseph Smith. I
          don't always agree 100% with all the author's analysis of everything,
          but it makes for a fascinating read and might give some helpful
          insight into how they became what they became. You might find it in
          your local library. Apart from being an interesting book, I certainly
          wouldn't recommend it as anything like an "essential" resource for
          someone casually dealing with mormons, but if someone were dealing
          with them all the time and wanted a better understanding of the
          religious roots and backgrounds of mormonism, a perusal of this book
          may be helpful.
          -doom
        • Dan Fraas
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 16, 2004
            "James White is also a reformed baptist, which means at the very least
            that he's calvinistic. And he's also had a number of refereed public
            debates with mormon apologists."

            My church hosts these debates. You may listen to some of Dr. White's
            past debates online on our website:

            http://www.christpres.net/debateaudio.htm

            Next month we're inviting Dr. White to do one debate on Mormon
            Temples and one on same-sex marriages at the Uni of Utah.

            --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, thebishopsdoom
            <no_reply@y...> wrote:
> [...]
            > of their history. I don't know how much of it will be helpful in
            > addressing to mormons directly, but it should be helpful in getting
            > better grasp of where they are coming from - what movements helped
            > develop into what became mormonism at the hands of Joseph Smith. I
            > don't always agree 100% with all the author's analysis of
            everything,
            > but it makes for a fascinating read and might give some helpful
            > insight into how they became what they became. You might find it in
            > your local library. Apart from being an interesting book, I
            certainly
            > wouldn't recommend it as anything like an "essential" resource for
            > someone casually dealing with mormons, but if someone were dealing
            > with them all the time and wanted a better understanding of the
            > religious roots and backgrounds of mormonism, a perusal of this
          • Edgar A. Ibarra Jr.
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 16, 2004
              Arline,

              Hi! I have a similiar background as you do. I rebelled against
              the Popery of my Dad and the 7th Day Adventism of my Mom and delved
              into Satanism. I listened to Death Metal: Slayer,Venom,Merciful Fate,
              King Dimond, Death, Dark Angel, Deicide, etc. Played with spells as
              well. I grew up in San Francisco, CA and therefore knew about Anton
              LaVey, even read his "Satanic Bible", yeah talk about blasphemous
              junk! Also got into some of the Temple Of Set, Anton's rival Satanic
              coven...

              Anyways, by God's grace here I am, a Covenanter and member of the
              RPNA. I too have dealt with Mormons and JWs, I tend to actually look
              for them to evangelize them and hold them up so that they don't
              spread their junk.

              What GMW suggested is what I have found to be effective and in
              accord with Scripture. Talk about the Gospel. Only by them being
              spiritually alive will they be able to discern the spiritual and
              hence understand about the deity of Christ. The Gospel is the power
              of God unto salvation. Challenge them with grace against their works
              and stick to passages such as Romans 4, Ephsians 2 and etc. These
              passages are very simple to demonstrate that salvation is only by
              grace.

              Arlene, continue to fight the good fight!!!

              yours in Christ,

              Edgar Ibarra
              www.albanycrpc.org