Slam report

  • Dan Fraas
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 15 7:52 AM
      On Saturday night I showed up at a little coffee club with a bunch of
      free-thinking poets, mostly college age, strewn about the whole place
      at various tables. I wrote my name on the "open mic" list with a
      marker on a white board. Most of the poems read were good. Many of
      them expressed some kind of dissent or nonconformity. Others
      expressed anguish. I got up when it was my turn and read both poems,
      first "Not Guilty" then "Adopted." I sure saw some startled looks on
      listeners' faces when I articulated words like "crucified", "Your Son
      came...", etc. When I was finished they clapped politely.

      The next guy to get up didn't read or recite anything from memory.
      He was a middle-aged black man who gave some inpromptu social
      commentary on the injustices and evils in society and the
      difficulties of living life as a black man. He asked why there is
      still so much corruption, sin, and injustice if Jesus died for sin
      2000 years ago. I later introduced myself to the man but I wasn't
      able to start a conversation with him.

      There was one fellow who got up when it was his turn and read
      a "psalm of Nephi" out of the Book of Mormon. I struck up a
      conversation with him. We were discussing the Scriptures and the
      Book of Mormon. (He gave me a book of Mormon. I always accept the
      Book of Mormon because I figure that's one less in circulation.) It
      became clear that he really loves the Psalms so I mentioned that we
      sing the Psalms at my church. He'd never sung them before but he was
      fascinated with the idea. He said he'd like to come and visit. He
      showed up yesterday morning at our church (Christ OPC). Our pastor
      preached a sermon on elders because our congregation is preparing to
      consider two candidates for eldership. He described the
      qualifications of elders, the duties of elders, the duties of the
      church to the elders, and the biblical model of presbyterial church
      government. After the service Paul the Mormon left hastily so he
      wouldn't be late for his LDS church service. I gave him a flyer for
      the upcoming debate we're hosting next month at the Uni of Utah on
      whether Mormon temples are consistent with New Testament
      Christianity, and he said he'd like to be there, and that he's
      looking forward to going shooting with me.

      Later I talked with my pastor. We both had the same initial reaction
      about the sermon on elders, wishing that it had been some other topic
      on the day we had a Mormon visitor, but then, on second thought, we
      both realized (independently) that this was the perfect topic for the
      occasion! (My pastor joked that we both have a little Baptist streak
      in us.) Probably the most foundational tenet of the Mormon faith is
      that there is a prophet in Salt Lake City whose every word is the
      word of God. Biblical presbyterial church government destroys this
      error. Paul the Mormon had already been ordained an elder, as all
      male Mormons in good standing are, and so the biblical role of elders
      should have posed some good questions in his mind. I'm trusting God
      to do His will with this guy.

      For Christ's Crown and Covenant!

      Riley
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 15 7:11 PM
        Thanks for sharing this, Riley. Sounds like you had a good time at
        open mic nite, and how cool is it that you got a Mormon to come to
        church with you?!