Re: Slam 'em with the gospel

  • getsmitty
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 12, 2004
      Great idea. Perhaps Newton's "The Tamed Lion" will inspire you:

      1 A Lion, though by nature wild,
      The art of man can tame;
      He stands before his keeper, mild,
      And gentle as a lamb.

      2 He watches, with submissive eye,
      The hand that gives him food,
      As if he meant to testify
      A sense of gratitude.

      3 But man himself, who thus subdues
      The fiercest beast of prey,
      A nature more unfeeling shows,
      And far more fierce than they.

      4 Though by the Lord preserv'd and fed,
      He proves rebellious still;
      And while he eats his Maker's bread,
      Resists his holy will.

      5 Alike in vain, of grace that saves,
      Or threat'ning law, he hears;
      The savage scorns, blasphemes, and raves,
      But neither loves nor fears.

      6 O Saviour! how thy wondrous pow'r
      By angels is proclaim'd,
      When in thine own appointed hour,
      They see this lion tam'd.

      7 The love thy bleeding cross displays,
      The hardest heart subdues;
      Here furious lions while they gaze,
      Their rage and fierceness lose.

      8 Yet we are but renew'd in part,
      The lion still remains;
      Lord, drive him wholly from my heart,
      Or keep him fast in chains.

      www.puritansermons.com/../poetry/newt_p13.htm

      Steve

      --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Fraas"
      <fraasrd@y...> wrote:
      > Hey friends.
      >
      > I had a neat idea. There is a coffee house downtown in Salt Lake
      > City which has open mic "poetry slam" every Saturday night. I'm
      > fixing to go down there this weekend and present the gospel in a
      > poem. I haven't written it yet, but I'm going to try and stay
      away
      > from "religious" words while communicating clearly to try and
      steer
      > clear of long-held misconceptions. I'm going to give it my best
      shot
      > to help the "free audience" understand the gospel. Whether to
      accept
      > or reject is their choice, predetermined by God, of course. I
      think
      > it's not far removed from what Paul did when he visited the
      Areopagus
      > in Athens. I'm going to where I know I can get an easy audience
      > which will listen, at least initially.
      >
      > Riley
    • Dan Fraas
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 12, 2004
        Thanks, Steve. I finished a couple rough drafts over lunch. It's
        not strictly traditional poetry, which I enjoy writing. But I
        thought a looser, more modern style would fit in better in this
        crowd. Plus it allows for greater freedom. Want to see what I've
        got so far?

        Riley

        --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, getsmitty