Slam 'em with the gospel

  • Dan Fraas
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 12, 2004
      Hey friends.

      I had a neat idea. There is a coffee house downtown in Salt Lake
      City which has open mic "poetry slam" every Saturday night. I'm
      fixing to go down there this weekend and present the gospel in a
      poem. I haven't written it yet, but I'm going to try and stay away
      from "religious" words while communicating clearly to try and steer
      clear of long-held misconceptions. I'm going to give it my best shot
      to help the "free audience" understand the gospel. Whether to accept
      or reject is their choice, predetermined by God, of course. I think
      it's not far removed from what Paul did when he visited the Areopagus
      in Athens. I'm going to where I know I can get an easy audience
      which will listen, at least initially.

      Riley
    • getsmitty
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 12, 2004
        Great idea. Perhaps Newton's "The Tamed Lion" will inspire you:

        1 A Lion, though by nature wild,
        The art of man can tame;
        He stands before his keeper, mild,
        And gentle as a lamb.

        2 He watches, with submissive eye,
        The hand that gives him food,
        As if he meant to testify
        A sense of gratitude.

        3 But man himself, who thus subdues
        The fiercest beast of prey,
        A nature more unfeeling shows,
        And far more fierce than they.

        4 Though by the Lord preserv'd and fed,
        He proves rebellious still;
        And while he eats his Maker's bread,
        Resists his holy will.

        5 Alike in vain, of grace that saves,
        Or threat'ning law, he hears;
        The savage scorns, blasphemes, and raves,
        But neither loves nor fears.

        6 O Saviour! how thy wondrous pow'r
        By angels is proclaim'd,
        When in thine own appointed hour,
        They see this lion tam'd.

        7 The love thy bleeding cross displays,
        The hardest heart subdues;
        Here furious lions while they gaze,
        Their rage and fierceness lose.

        8 Yet we are but renew'd in part,
        The lion still remains;
        Lord, drive him wholly from my heart,
        Or keep him fast in chains.

        www.puritansermons.com/../poetry/newt_p13.htm

        Steve

        --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Fraas"
        <fraasrd@y...> wrote:
        > Hey friends.
        >
        > I had a neat idea. There is a coffee house downtown in Salt Lake
        > City which has open mic "poetry slam" every Saturday night. I'm
        > fixing to go down there this weekend and present the gospel in a
        > poem. I haven't written it yet, but I'm going to try and stay
        away
        > from "religious" words while communicating clearly to try and
        steer
        > clear of long-held misconceptions. I'm going to give it my best
        shot
        > to help the "free audience" understand the gospel. Whether to
        accept
        > or reject is their choice, predetermined by God, of course. I
        think
        > it's not far removed from what Paul did when he visited the
        Areopagus
        > in Athens. I'm going to where I know I can get an easy audience
        > which will listen, at least initially.
        >
        > Riley
      • Dan Fraas
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 12, 2004
          Thanks, Steve. I finished a couple rough drafts over lunch. It's
          not strictly traditional poetry, which I enjoy writing. But I
          thought a looser, more modern style would fit in better in this
          crowd. Plus it allows for greater freedom. Want to see what I've
          got so far?

          Riley

          --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, getsmitty