teaching in the vernacular language

  • J. Parnell McCarter
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 28, 2004
      In Dr. North's article he writes:

      “As a Protestant, I rejoiced at Vatican II's liturgical reform. I knew that this shift to the vernacular would do more to de-legitimize Catholicism's claim of universality than anything the church had done since 1054 (the East-West split). A vernacular liturgy was John Wycliffe's reform. I could not have been more pleased. So far, I think I have been correct. The Roman church is now as plagued by guitars as Protestant churches are. Nashville has invaded Rome

      “Mel Gibson is not pleased. I regard The Passion as his personal statement sent to Vatican II's surviving promoters: "This story is worth telling in a dead language. It is better told in a dead language." On this point, I side with Mr. Gibson rather than Mr. Wycliffe."

      Notice Dr. North's lie.  He is right that "Nashville has invaded Rome” and the church is "plagued by guitars" , but it has nothing to do with teaching in the vernacular language (as advocated by Wycliffe), which Dr. North suggests in his article.  Rather, it has to do with the rejection of the RPW (as advocated by Dr. North).  If the RPW is faithfully adhered to, as in the churches of the FPCS, there will be no musical instruments (hence, no guitars) or uninspired hymnody in the public worship.

      Dr. North is like the theological liberals of old, who claimed to be Christian and believe in the Bible, even as they went about destroying its fundamental tenets.  Dr. North may call himself a "Protestant" (as noted above), but there is very little Protest of historic Romanist tenets and practices.

      - Parnell McCarter