Fw: Stray pastors

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 15, 2004
      Stray pastors
      Passing this along, not only for curious interest, but for prayerful consideration.  I know that polls can be made to reflect anything, but this one rings true to me.  I'm not sure how I would answer the "Christians have a personal responsibility to evangelize" one, as I disagree with how many churches and para-church organizations try to make preachers and missionaries out of every 14 year old in the youth group, but I do acknowledge that we must all be evangelistic in our own offices and callings.

      Pray that God would raise up real pastors, and that these unconverted false teachers would be cast out of the honorable office of Pastor.  And pray for the sheep who sit under them.

      Stray Pastors

      Only half of America 's ministers hold to a biblical worldview, but even many who do aren't imparting it to their congregations

      By Gene Edward Veith

      WORLD HAS DISCUSSED THE COLLAPSE OF theological literacy and the rise of out-and-out unbelief among Americans who consider themselves to be "born again Christians" ("Unbelieving 'born-agains,'" Dec. 6, 2003 ). Now we know at least part of the reason. According to a new study by the Barna Research Group, 49 % of Protestant pastors reject core biblical beliefs.

      The Christian pollster George Barna put together a list of biblical teachings that presumably Christians of every denomination or theological tradition could affirm: There is absolute moral truth based on the Bible; biblical teaching is accurate; Jesus was without sin; Satan literally exists; God is omnipotent and omniscient; salvation is by grace alone; Christians have a personal responsibility to evangelize.

      This is a bare-bones list. It says nothing about the Trinity or the Deity of Christ or other important teachings that are essential for salvation. The list has to do not so much with theology as with the assumptions that are behind one's theology; that is, with worldview. Any minister of whatever denomination, especially a Protestant one, should be able to agree on these basics. But only 51 % do.

      Mr. Barna's breakdown of this data is telling. In the two largest Protestant denominations, Southern Baptists had the most pastors, percentage-wise, who hold to this biblical worldview (71 %), while Methodists had the fewest (27 %). The glass is either three-quarters empty or one-quarter full. That one in four Methodist pastors takes what the Bible teaches seriously might be surprising and encouraging in a liberal-leaning denomination. But it is equally surprising, though discouraging, to find that one in four Southern Baptist preachers does not.

      The statistics of pastors holding a biblical worldview for other denominations studied were 57 % of (non-Southern) Baptists; 51 % of nondenominational Protestants; and 44 % of charismatic or Pentecostal churches. In the so-called mainline Protestant churches (essentially those belonging to the National Council of Churches), those pastors who could be described as having a biblical worldview numbered only 28 %.

      Mr. Barna also broke the statistics down demographically. Only 35 % of pastors of black churches hold to a biblical worldview, as he defines it. In denominations that ordain women, only 15 % of female pastors hold to a biblical worldview.

      Mr. Barna also found that pastors who attended a seminary are less likely to have a biblical worldview (45%) than those who did not (59%). This is doubtless due to the anti-Christian scholarship that dominates much of today's academic religious studies, such as the higher-critical approach to Scripture, which begins by assuming that the Bible is nothing more than fiction.

      There is some good news, though, in Mr. Barna's numbers. Younger pastors (those under 40) are more likely to have a biblical worldview (56 %) than older pastors (50 %). Those who have been in the ministry for five years or less score even higher (58 %). Perhaps the unbelieving ministers—mostly aging baby boomers, shaped no doubt by the theological, moral, and cultural upheaval of the '60s, and still assuming they are relevant today—will die out, to be replaced by younger and more faithful shepherds.

      But, in the meantime, the sheep are hungry and are not fed. Many have already starved to death. Mr. Barna, who discusses these findings in his new book Think Like Jesus, says that if the numbers are bad among pastors, they are even worse for church members. Just 7 % of American Protestants overall agree with the biblical tenets on that list. And among those who consider themselves "born again," only 9 % do. About one out of 10.

      There is a huge gap even when pastors do hold to biblical beliefs. "The research also points out that even in churches where the pastor has a biblical worldview," said Mr. Barna, "most of the congregants do not. More than six out of every seven congregants in the typical church do not share the biblical worldview of their pastor even when he or she has one."

      This suggests, he says, that "merely preaching good sermons and offering helpful programs does not enable most believers to develop a practical and scriptural theological base to shape their life." Based on his research of those who have a biblical worldview, he says that acquiring one "is a long-term process that requires a lot of purposeful activity: teaching, prayer, conversation, accountability, and so forth.

      "Based on our correlations of worldview and moral behavior," he said, "we can confidently argue that if the 51 % of pastors who have a biblical worldview were to strategically and relentlessly assist their congregants in adopting such a way of interpreting and responding to life, the impact on our churches, families, and society at large would be enormous."

      February 7, 2004

      ---