Re: Re: The Church Adrift /previous posts

  • Robert Suden
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 14, 2004
      Greetings Simon,
      Appreciate the work of the JBS, even tho JB was a Rev. Settlement
      churchman. Likewise J Kennedy. The Free Church sure went downhill fast
      after the first generation, but that has happened more then a time or two
      in church history it would seem.
      Been meaning also to write you re. your posts on the Scottish Reformation
      Society and Sinclair Horne. I was wondering if you know Tony Horne who
      used to edit and publish The Presbyterian? The magazine turned into the
      British Reformed Journal associated with the Prot. Reformed Churches here
      in America and the PRC's now former mission church in Ireland. Is he
      possibly related to Sinclair? Tony started doing something for the
      Trinitarian Bible Society and I believe he is with the FCC now, but am
      not sure. He sent me a phamphlet early on re. the MacLeod case by I
      Murray.

      As for the

      > the Presbyterian
      > Reformed Church of America (except for one of its churches where I'm
      > a member,
      > in England),

      are you talking about the same group John Murray was associated with?
      I would be interested in hearing your reasons for joining there, if you
      cared to comment. I didn't know they had a work in the UK.
      A couple years before joining up with what became the RPNA, some of us
      looked into the PRC, visiting the closest work in Portland,Ore. but
      didn't join.

      cordially in Christ
      Bob Suden
      RPNA
      Lynden, Wa.
    • Robert Suden
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 16, 2004
        Thank you very much for your  post, Simon.

        >  I was wondering if you know Tony Horne
        > who used

        to edit and publish The Presbyterian?>>

        > Yes, I know him
        and his wife. They are good, hard working folk.

        Say hello to him for me please, when you see him next. I emailed him one time, I think, but lost track of his whereabouts some time ago. I had a friend who visited one of the PRC/BRJ conferences that met him, but that was awhile back.

        > <<The magazine turned into the British Reformed Journal
        associated
        > with
        > the Prot. Reformed Churches here in America and
        the PRC's now former
        > mission
        > church in Ireland.>>
        >
        > Also familiar. Some of these folks led myself and my wife to the
        > Reformed
        > faith. But we have changed a lot in our thinking since
        our contact
        > with
        > the groups you mention.

        Is the BRJ still publishing?

         AFAIK, Tony is not affiliated with these
        > folk much

        now.

        I don't know if that surprises me or not. It would be interesting to hear what he has to say.

        The mission in Ireland is still there, and still theirs. They

        have
        > installed a local (N.Ireland) man who trained at their seminary in
        > Michigan.

        Last I heard, he is stateside and the N. Ireland work is no more. The former start up pastor, Ron Hanko is now the local PRC pastor here where I attended when I was in touch with Tony,  and talking to those still in the congregation who I see occasionally, one of the reasons it took so long for him to get a call here in the States when he got back was because of trouble there.

        > <<Is he possibly related to Sinclair?>>
        >
        > No. Many people ask that question, and he told me himself that they
        > are
        > not related.

        !!! I won't have to ask.

        > <<Tony started doing something for the Trinitarian Bible
        > Society...>>
        >
        > Yes, he's their rep in Scotland (or
        the Highlands at least). He
        > carries
        > a TBS bookstall to churches
        and conferences and various AGMs in
        > Scotland.

        What is a AGM?

        > <<...and I believe he is with the FCC now, but am not
        sure.>>

        > Yes he is. In Aberdeen.

        <<He sent me a pamphlet early on re. the MacLeod case by I

        Murray.>>

        > I've read I Murray's book on the FC/FCC split,
        which may be the same
        > as
        > you mention, or a more developed
        form.

        My copy is a 28 page Pamphlet entitles "Professor Donald Macleod and his 'opponents' dated Oct. 1996.  There was some news over here about it, but nothing like over there evidently.
        Murray is quite a writer, but his little tract on hymnody contra psalmody was a disappointment and Ron Hanko and the BRJ quite correctly took Ian and the Banner of Truth to task for blue pencilling  Pink's Sovereignty of God.

        > <<"As for the Presbyterian Reformed Church of
        America" --
        > are you talking about the same group John Murray was
        associated
        > with? I
        > would be interested in hearing your reasons
        for joining there, if
        > you cared
        > to comment. I didn't know they
        had a work in the UK. A couple years
        > before
        > joining up with
        what became the RPNA, some of us looked into the
        > PRC, visiting

        the closest work in Portland,Ore. but didn't join.>>

        > Yes,
        it's the same group. JM was involved in helping this PRC (not
        > the
        same
        > one as you mentioned earlier) come into being, but as he was by
        then
        > quite
        > elderly and needing to look after some of his
        relatives in Scotland,
        > he
        > didn't actually become a presbyter of
        this group. Some of his views
        > are
        > held herein (e.g., exclusive
        psalmody) but his particular take on
        > the free
        > offer is not
        widely held. Many of our ministers have views closer to
        > Prof

        William Young on this issue, who is still alive and in one of our

        churches.

        Praise the Lord. I had heardthat Dr. Young was seriously ill and expected to die some time ago.
        His comments/definition of terms re.  the free offer are very good.
        Unfortunately, I also still have his handwritten letter to me re. why the AP were justified in leaving the Free Pres. over the Lord MacKay affair/questions of conscience. While  I wouldn't justify everything the FP has done,  the AP seemed to jump from the frying pan into the fire and from what little we hear over here, has really declined doctrinally. When we looked into the Portland, Ore. congregation of the PRC, I found out that the PRC were thinking about accepting the AP congregation and minister in Vancouver BC and was more than a little surprised/disappointed. That was one of the things that kept me from joining.

        > As for why my wife and I joined, we came to the Reformed faith of
        > the Westminster
        > Standards, and here in England we went on
        reconnaisance to find a
        > church
        > which adhered to these.

        Where exactly are you in the England, Simon? If you mentioned it already I forgot.

        > Cordially in Christ,

        Likewise and thanks again for catching me up on Tony Horne

        Bob Suden
        RPNA
        Lynden, Wa.