Re: The Church Adrift

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 13, 2004
      --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, Robert Suden
      <bsuden@j...> wrote:

      >It has a number of very interesting things to say,
      > among them a critique of what could be easily applied to John
      > Murray's version of the free offer.

      Sounds interesting. I remember reading Murray/Stonehouse and not
      being comfortable with some of the particulars they proposed. I would
      like to see a critique of the position from someone who does not deny
      the Free Offer itself. Hyper C's have in the past lumped me in with
      Murray/Stonehouse because I believe in the Free Offer of the Gospel,
      though I do not agree with everything M&S wrote either.

      gmw.
    • Robert Suden
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 16, 2004
        Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 01:51:14 -0000
        > > From: "gmw"
        > > Subject: Re: The Church Adrift
        > >
        > > --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, Robert Suden
        > > wrote:
        > >
        > > >It has a number of very interesting things to say,
        > > > among them a critique of what could be easily applied to John
        > > > Murray's version of the free offer.
        > >
        > > Sounds interesting. I remember reading Murray/Stonehouse and not
        > > being comfortable with some of the particulars they proposed. I
        > would
        > > like to see a critique of the position from someone who does not
        > deny
        > > the Free Offer itself.

        Greetings, gmw,
        As Simon mentioned, Dr. Young has a pretty good statement and basically
        critiques M&S without naming any names. After all, he wrote the Minority
        Committee Report on psalmody with J Murray in the OPC. It was reprinted
        (?) in the PRC magazine, but the last time I checked was not in the
        archive at their site. J Robbin's Trinity Review ran Garret Mattingly's
        Myth of Common Grace #54 in Mar/Apr. 1987 which critiques the M&S version
        of the FO and should be on the Trinity Found. website.
        http://www.trinityfoundation.org/reviews/journal.asp?ID=055a.html

        cordially in Christ
        Bob Suden
        RPNA