Re: The Church Adrift

  • s.padbury@tiscali.co.uk
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 13, 2004
      Hi Bob,

      Actually, we're trying to not be owned by/affiliated with the Free Church
      (Continuing) as such, it's just that two of our committee are FCC ministers.
      But there's another committee member who is an FP, and myself, of the Presbyterian
      Reformed Church of America (except for one of its churches where I'm a member,
      in England), and we have another committee member from another church. We've
      had ministers from the FPs and other Reformed denominations to give our
      Annual addresses, which we also publish on cassette, CD and in booklet form.

      The James Begg Society was originally set up by three FC ministry college
      students, two of whom are still committee members, and now ministers in
      the FCC. We very likely have many more member-subscribers who are non-FCC
      than FCC, form all around the world. We maybe have as many FP subscribers
      as FCC.

      Greetings from England,

      Simon Padbury.
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 13, 2004
        --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, Robert Suden
        <bsuden@j...> wrote:

        >It has a number of very interesting things to say,
        > among them a critique of what could be easily applied to John
        > Murray's version of the free offer.

        Sounds interesting. I remember reading Murray/Stonehouse and not
        being comfortable with some of the particulars they proposed. I would
        like to see a critique of the position from someone who does not deny
        the Free Offer itself. Hyper C's have in the past lumped me in with
        Murray/Stonehouse because I believe in the Free Offer of the Gospel,
        though I do not agree with everything M&S wrote either.

        gmw.
      • Robert Suden
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 16, 2004
          Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 01:51:14 -0000
          > > From: "gmw"
          > > Subject: Re: The Church Adrift
          > >
          > > --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, Robert Suden
          > > wrote:
          > >
          > > >It has a number of very interesting things to say,
          > > > among them a critique of what could be easily applied to John
          > > > Murray's version of the free offer.
          > >
          > > Sounds interesting. I remember reading Murray/Stonehouse and not
          > > being comfortable with some of the particulars they proposed. I
          > would
          > > like to see a critique of the position from someone who does not
          > deny
          > > the Free Offer itself.

          Greetings, gmw,
          As Simon mentioned, Dr. Young has a pretty good statement and basically
          critiques M&S without naming any names. After all, he wrote the Minority
          Committee Report on psalmody with J Murray in the OPC. It was reprinted
          (?) in the PRC magazine, but the last time I checked was not in the
          archive at their site. J Robbin's Trinity Review ran Garret Mattingly's
          Myth of Common Grace #54 in Mar/Apr. 1987 which critiques the M&S version
          of the FO and should be on the Trinity Found. website.
          http://www.trinityfoundation.org/reviews/journal.asp?ID=055a.html

          cordially in Christ
          Bob Suden
          RPNA