Re: interactive quiz/Psalmody

  • thebishopsdoom
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 2, 2003
      --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Fraas"
      <fraasrd@y...> wrote:
      > It doesn't say, "God", but it appears to have the word, "him" in
      > there, doesn't it? I assume that refers to God, unless Augustine
      was
      > worshiping someone else.

      Lest I be misunderstood.
      My words:
      > >the quote in question is **"noone can sing
      > > things worthy of God,"** and I don't see any Latin word for God
      in
      > the
      > > actual Augustine quote, **though the actual context in Augustine
      may
      > > make clear that God is intended in the quote.** In that sense,
      Calvin
      > > is stating that Augustine mentions that no one can sing things
      > worthy
      > > of God, etc., **but is not necessarily quoting Augustine
      precisely
      > word
      > > for word directly,**
      And in that sense, I implied that TECHNICALLY the original answer of
      Calvin as being the person who wrote "no one is able to sing things
      worthy of God" would appear to have been correct since Augustine
      didn't actually write the specific quote mentioned (i.e., a kind of
      trick question, the sort my teachers in high school used to pull),
      Calvin was making an illusion without necessarily verbatim quoting.
      Technically, I was alluding, the quote is Calvin's, but not
      necessarily word for word a translation of Augustine's, though it is
      pointing out something that Augustine teaches in the context of said
      passage. I did not intend to imply that Augustine didn't say "sing
      things worthy of him" and that the "him" in context referred back to
      God.
      -doom
    • Dan Fraas
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 2, 2003
        "And in that sense, I implied that TECHNICALLY the original answer of
        Calvin as being the person who wrote "no one is able to sing things
        worthy of God" would appear to have been correct since Augustine
        didn't actually write the specific quote mentioned (i.e., a kind of
        trick question, the sort my teachers in high school used to pull),
        Calvin was making an illusion without necessarily verbatim quoting.
        Technically, I was alluding, the quote is Calvin's, but not
        necessarily word for word a translation of Augustine's, though it is
        pointing out something that Augustine teaches in the context of said
        passage. I did not intend to imply that Augustine didn't say "sing
        things worthy of him" and that the "him" in context referred back to
        God."

        I understood what you meant. I'm saying that it can still be a
        bonafide quote rather than a mere paraphrase or allusion if Calvin
        substituted "God" for "him". I assume that Calvin's preface to the
        Genevan Psalter was in French, not Latin, so Calvin couldn't
        transcribe Augustine's comment verbatim, anyway. Quotes and
        translations may substitute the noun for the pronoun, I think. Our
        English Bible translation often does the same. Did the translators
        pen quotes from Jesus or did they merely allude to Him in places
        where they interchanged nouns and pronouns? hmmm...

        Riley

        --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, thebishopsdoom