Re: Frequency of Communion Questions

  • thebishopsdoom
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 2, 2003
      <raging.calvinist@v...> wrote:
      > I guess I'm not understanding the idea of why a "communion season"
      > where every day is treated as a holyday was deemed necessary. I
      mean,
      > doesn't the Directory simply say...

      Let me clarify.
      I'm discussing what became the historical practice among
      presbyterians, I'm not advocating what I believe about required
      preparations for communion, or what the old standards required.
      From the habit of infrequent communing and the fact that these things
      were going on, it seems to have become an idea in some presbyterians'
      minds as though such intense preparation was always required in order
      for anyone to be properly prepared to partake, and spoke out against
      more frequent communing that it would not allow such
      intense "preparation" for communion as was being thought necessary.
      Or if not necessary, those who questioned whether it could be done
      another way were sometimes attacked as being of no piety for not
      desiring to have such drawn out and elaborate services surrounding
      communion.
      The practice of Thursday to Monday services for communion persists in
      some presbyterian churches. For example, the Free Pres. Church of
      Scotland appears to do a Thursday thru Monday communion season. (I
      also noticed on another FP site a notice that such and such
      session "has decided there will be no communion this year.") A Free
      Church of Scotland website also had an "end of season assessment"
      from this past October where the minister wrote:
      "For all our emphasis on the simplicity of New Testament worship, we
      seem to have built an elaborate formal structure around the Lord's
      Supper. We have services from Thursday through to Monday, in most
      cases in both morning and evening. In my own congregation there are
      fourteen distinct acts of worship spread over these five days, all of
      which are designed in some way to make the sacrament meaningful,
      although just how I am not sure."
      A Free Church of Scotland Continuing site gave reports of upcoming
      communion in various locations, and they list dates starting on
      Thursdays and ending Mondays.
      My experience with the RPCNA was simply to let people know well in
      advance when communion would be, and to touch upon the things the
      Directory mentions above with repsect to communion during the
      previous Lord's Days rather than having a weekday preparation service
      (which would have been impractical anyway seeing that for worship
      services they rented out a room on Lord's days from a local YMCA and
      would not have been guaranteed being able to do so on a weekday -
      especially since it couldn't be covered in one meeting since
      different people worked very different schedules and there would have
      had to have been one in the morning and one in the evening to
      accomodate everyone).
      You might find the historical essays here of interest in relation to
      the practice:
      http://www.kintyremag.co.uk/2000/42/page4.html
      http://web.ukonline.co.uk/d.haslam/mccheyne/hewat/COMMUNION_SEASONS.ht
      http://www.freechurch.org/revival/revival6.htm
    • revrayjoseph
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 2, 2003
        I grew up in the Reformed Presbyterian (Covenanter) Church in
        Hopkinton, Iowa, where we had Thursday Preparatory Service (at 10:00
        am - I was excused from school) - and Friday Preparatory Service (at
        7:30 pm) - and Saturday Preparatory Service (at 3:30 pm after 2:00
        pm Communicants' Membership Class) - Sabbath am Communion Service -
        (at 11:00 am) - Sabbath evening Thanksgiving Service - (at 7:30 pm) -
        and Monday morning Thanksgiving Service - (at 10:00 am - I was
        excused from school) - all this with the preaching of a visiting
        pastor called a "Communion Assistant".

        Ray Joseph

        --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, thebishopsdoom

        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 2, 2003
          <no_reply@y...> wrote:

          > Let me clarify.
          > I'm discussing what became the historical practice among
          > presbyterians, I'm not advocating what I believe about required
          > preparations for communion, or what the old standards required.

          Right, right, yeah... I know that. I was just confused as to why
          Presbies would be insisting on these things. I get it now, given the
          great infrequency, they were playing catch up.

          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 2, 2003
            Wow, Mr. Joseph. How things have changed, huh?

            gmw.

            --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, revrayjoseph

          • Abigail
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 3, 2003
              My sister is a member of an RPCNA church where they have communion
              twice a year, starting with a Saturday evening service, then
              communion in the a.m. on the Sabbath, then a thanksgiving service
              Sabbath evening, usually with a visiting "communion assistant".
              The church I've been attending (RPCNA) has communion once a month, in
              the afternoon service. The congregation is always advised the week
              before communion to prepare by self-examination and renewed
              repentance, meditating soberly on the work of Christ. I haven't been
              to any nine-hour services yet!

              Abigail