Re: Frequency of Communion Questions

    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 2, 2003
      --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, thebishopsdoom
      <no_reply@y...> wrote:

      > Well, from what I gather, it involved preaching from Thursday to
      > Monday in services that sometimes were not unlike what we would
      > call today "tent meeting revival services."

      I guess I'm not understanding the idea of why a "communion season"
      where every day is treated as a holyday was deemed necessary. I mean,
      doesn't the Directory simply say,

      "Where this sacrament cannot with convenience be frequently
      administered, it is requisite that publick warning be given the
      sabbath-day before the administration thereof: and that either then,
      or on some day of that week, something concerning that ordinance, and
      the due preparation thereunto, and participation thereof, be taught;
      that, by the diligent use of all means sanctified of God to that end,
      both in publick and private, all may come better prepared to that
      heavenly feast." ?

      > only coffee could be heated,

      This I understand, coffee is an act of necessity and mercy.

      gmw.
    • thebishopsdoom
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 2, 2003
        <raging.calvinist@v...> wrote:
        > I guess I'm not understanding the idea of why a "communion season"
        > where every day is treated as a holyday was deemed necessary. I
        mean,
        > doesn't the Directory simply say...

        Let me clarify.
        I'm discussing what became the historical practice among
        presbyterians, I'm not advocating what I believe about required
        preparations for communion, or what the old standards required.
        From the habit of infrequent communing and the fact that these things
        were going on, it seems to have become an idea in some presbyterians'
        minds as though such intense preparation was always required in order
        for anyone to be properly prepared to partake, and spoke out against
        more frequent communing that it would not allow such
        intense "preparation" for communion as was being thought necessary.
        Or if not necessary, those who questioned whether it could be done
        another way were sometimes attacked as being of no piety for not
        desiring to have such drawn out and elaborate services surrounding
        communion.
        The practice of Thursday to Monday services for communion persists in
        some presbyterian churches. For example, the Free Pres. Church of
        Scotland appears to do a Thursday thru Monday communion season. (I
        also noticed on another FP site a notice that such and such
        session "has decided there will be no communion this year.") A Free
        Church of Scotland website also had an "end of season assessment"
        from this past October where the minister wrote:
        "For all our emphasis on the simplicity of New Testament worship, we
        seem to have built an elaborate formal structure around the Lord's
        Supper. We have services from Thursday through to Monday, in most
        cases in both morning and evening. In my own congregation there are
        fourteen distinct acts of worship spread over these five days, all of
        which are designed in some way to make the sacrament meaningful,
        although just how I am not sure."
        A Free Church of Scotland Continuing site gave reports of upcoming
        communion in various locations, and they list dates starting on
        Thursdays and ending Mondays.
        My experience with the RPCNA was simply to let people know well in
        advance when communion would be, and to touch upon the things the
        Directory mentions above with repsect to communion during the
        previous Lord's Days rather than having a weekday preparation service
        (which would have been impractical anyway seeing that for worship
        services they rented out a room on Lord's days from a local YMCA and
        would not have been guaranteed being able to do so on a weekday -
        especially since it couldn't be covered in one meeting since
        different people worked very different schedules and there would have
        had to have been one in the morning and one in the evening to
        accomodate everyone).
        You might find the historical essays here of interest in relation to
        the practice:
        http://www.kintyremag.co.uk/2000/42/page4.html
        http://web.ukonline.co.uk/d.haslam/mccheyne/hewat/COMMUNION_SEASONS.ht
        http://www.freechurch.org/revival/revival6.htm
      • revrayjoseph
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 2, 2003
          I grew up in the Reformed Presbyterian (Covenanter) Church in
          Hopkinton, Iowa, where we had Thursday Preparatory Service (at 10:00
          am - I was excused from school) - and Friday Preparatory Service (at
          7:30 pm) - and Saturday Preparatory Service (at 3:30 pm after 2:00
          pm Communicants' Membership Class) - Sabbath am Communion Service -
          (at 11:00 am) - Sabbath evening Thanksgiving Service - (at 7:30 pm) -
          and Monday morning Thanksgiving Service - (at 10:00 am - I was
          excused from school) - all this with the preaching of a visiting
          pastor called a "Communion Assistant".

          Ray Joseph

          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 2, 2003
            <no_reply@y...> wrote:

            > Let me clarify.
            > I'm discussing what became the historical practice among
            > presbyterians, I'm not advocating what I believe about required
            > preparations for communion, or what the old standards required.

            Right, right, yeah... I know that. I was just confused as to why
            Presbies would be insisting on these things. I get it now, given the
            great infrequency, they were playing catch up.

            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 2, 2003
              Wow, Mr. Joseph. How things have changed, huh?

              gmw.

              --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, revrayjoseph

            • Abigail
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 3, 2003
                My sister is a member of an RPCNA church where they have communion
                twice a year, starting with a Saturday evening service, then
                communion in the a.m. on the Sabbath, then a thanksgiving service
                Sabbath evening, usually with a visiting "communion assistant".
                The church I've been attending (RPCNA) has communion once a month, in
                the afternoon service. The congregation is always advised the week
                before communion to prepare by self-examination and renewed
                repentance, meditating soberly on the work of Christ. I haven't been
                to any nine-hour services yet!

                Abigail