[Geneva_Bible] Re: 1599 Geneva Bible Update: Jonah, Micah, Nahum, Habakkuk, Zeph

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2003
      > (d) By the square and compass of man's wit and judgment.

      I join you in the condemnation of Freemasonry, but I must say that I
      don't think Sproul was stretching this, nor do I see this as a clear
      reference to Freemasonry.

      Thank you for your continued work on making this important work
      available to us!

      gmw.
    • SteveZ167
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2003
        Message
        Why did Sproul put out the Geneva Footnotes that were not word for word as the original 1599 Geneva Bible, and the square and compass has always been used in describing Freemasonry, not to say Sproul did anything purposely, but I am one that is against new versions that change the original writings.

        So many out there think Sproul's 1599 Geneva Footnotes are word for word from the original, and they are not.

        Steve

        Home Page
        1599 Geneva Bible Online

        1 Corinthians 14:8 And also if the trumpet give an uncertain sound, who shall prepare himself to battle?

        "Let not Geneva be forgotten or despised. Religious liberty owes it most respect."   John Adams, the second president of the United States

        Yahoo Group Owner

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 1, 2003
          Steve,

          Not that I agree with Sproul doing this, but we must remember one thing...

          MODERN READERS ARE BLOCKHEADS

          generally speaking. What "square and compass" meant in 1599, and what
          the modern mind would think of in our day, may cause confusion.

          I would prefer that the original language be used, with a footnote to
          explain that the notes did not intend a four-cornered shape and a tool
          used to tell which direction your heading!

          gmw.

          --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "SteveZ167"

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12c5edmk9/M=267637.4116730.5333196.1261774/D=egroup

          web/S=1706113926:HM/EXP=1070377580/A=1853618/R=0/*http://www.netflix.com/Def