Re: [Covenanted Reformation] Re: interactive quiz/Psalmody

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 27, 2003
      BD,

      If you failed a test at school because of this one question, when Calvin is so obviously re-phrasing someone else's statement, and you answered the person whom Calvin was rephrasing, would you have no grounds for protest?

      Sent: Thursday, November 27, 2003 12:32 AM
      Subject: [Covenanted Reformation] Re: interactive quiz/Psalmody

      <raging.calvinist@v...> wrote:

      > Brother, are you the gentleman that runs the Reformed Faith and
      Worshp
      > Forum?  Welcome!
      Yes, he is, and I saw his post on the quiz in that forum.
      Unless I am mistaken, his original answer was correct.
      The Augustine reference is said to be from Enarratio In Psalmum XXXIV
      [MPL 36:323 - I have the reference from Sherman Isbell]
      "Nemo illi cantat digna, nisi qui ab illo acceperit quod cantare
      possit."
      While I don't read Latin, the quote in question is "noone can sing
      things worthy of God," and I don't see any Latin word for God in the
      actual Augustine quote, though the actual context in Augustine may
      make clear that God is intended in the quote. In that sense, Calvin
      is stating that Augustine mentions that no one can sing things worthy
      of God, etc., but is not necessarily quoting Augustine precisely word
      for word directly, but half quoting the passage he is alluding to. If
      I'm correct, the correct answer would appear to be Calvin.
      -thebishopsdoom

      ---
    • thebishopsdoom
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 27, 2003
        <raging.calvinist@v...> wrote:
        > BD,
        >
        > If you failed a test at school because of this one question
        > when Calvin is so obviously re-phrasing someone else's statement,
        and you answered the person whom Calvin was rephrasing, would you
        have no grounds for protest?
        Apparently, I had meaner teachers in school than you did.
        :)
        -doom