interactive quiz/Psalmody

  • Brian M. Hanley
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 26, 2003
      Some of you have seen my interactive quiz on
      Psalmody/History. Well now, I have a second quiz on
      the website. Please feel free to give me
      feedback off-list.

      http://www.gracealone.com

      Thanks

      Brian

      ----------------

      Brian M. Hanley
      RE OPC
      Student GPTS
      Whippany, NJ
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 26, 2003
        I object to your Psalmody quiz! The first question, a quote you
        attribute to John Calvin, was Calvin quoting Augustine, and so when I
        picked "Augustine" as the author of the quote, I got it wrong.

        I demand a recount!

        :)

        gmw.

        --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Brian M. Hanley"
        <Brian@H...> wrote:

        > Some of you have seen my interactive quiz on
        > Psalmody/History. Well now, I have a second quiz on
        > the website. Please feel free to give me
        > feedback off-list.
        >
        > http://www.gracealone.com
        >

        > Thanks
        >
        > Brian
        >
        > ----------------
        >
        > Brian M. Hanley
        > RE OPC
        > Student GPTS
        > Whippany, NJ
      • Brian M. Hanley
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 26, 2003
          Sorry, it was Calvin that *wrote* and Augustine that *said*. : - )

          Just kidding! I did not realize I had Augustine in the list of
          choices.

          - Brian

          ----------------------
          Brian M. Hanley
          RE OPC
          Student GPTS
          Whippany, NJ

          <raging.calvinist@v...> wrote:

          > I object to your Psalmody quiz! The first question, a quote you
          > attribute to John Calvin, was Calvin quoting Augustine, and so when
          > picked "Augustine" as the author of the quote, I got it wrong.
          >
          > I demand a recount!
          >
          > :)
          >
          > gmw.
          >
          > --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Brian M. Hanley"
          > <Brian@H...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Some of you have seen my interactive quiz on
          > > Psalmody/History. Well now, I have a second quiz on
          > > the website. Please feel free to give me
          > > feedback off-list.
          > >
          > > http://www.gracealone.com
          > >

          > > Thanks
          > >
          > > Brian
          > >
          > > ----------------
          > >
          > > Brian M. Hanley
          > > RE OPC
          > > Student GPTS
          > > Whippany, NJ
        • Brian M. Hanley
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 26, 2003
            It's fixed thanks! - Brian

            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 26, 2003
              Brother, are you the gentleman that runs the Reformed Faith and Worshp
              Forum? Welcome!

              As for the quiz, here's what I get for the first question:

              Question 1
              Who wrote; 'no one is able to sing things worthy of God except that
              which he has received from him.'

              *John Calvin
              *St. Augustine
              *Martin Luther
              *John Knox

              And here's the problem I'm having: Calvin's statement is, "Moreover,
              that which St. Augustine has said is true, that no one is able to sing
              things worthy of God except that which he has received from him."

              How, then, can it be a wrong answer to choose Calvin, when Calvin did
              infact write the sentence? And how can I be wrong for choosing
              Augustine, whom Calvin is summing up?

              It's a crooked game, I tell you!

              LOL.

              :)

              <Brian@H...> wrote:
              > It's fixed thanks! - Brian
              >
              > --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Brian M. Hanley"
              > <Brian@H...> wrote:
              > > Sorry, it was Calvin that *wrote* and Augustine that *said*. : -
              > )
              > >

              > > Just kidding! I did not realize I had Augustine in the list of
              > > choices.
              > >
              > > - Brian
              > >

              > > ----------------------
              > > Brian M. Hanley
              > > RE OPC
              > > Student GPTS
              > > Whippany, NJ
              > >
              > > --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "gmw"
              > > <raging.calvinist@v...> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > I object to your Psalmody quiz! The first question, a quote you
              > > > attribute to John Calvin, was Calvin quoting Augustine, and so
              > when
              > > > picked "Augustine" as the author of the quote, I got it wrong.
              > > >
              > > > I demand a recount!
              > > >
              > > > :)
              > > >
              > > > gmw.
              > > >
              > > > --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Brian M.
              > Hanley"

            • thebishopsdoom
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 26, 2003
                <raging.calvinist@v...> wrote:

                > Brother, are you the gentleman that runs the Reformed Faith and
                Worshp
                > Forum? Welcome!
                Yes, he is, and I saw his post on the quiz in that forum.
                Unless I am mistaken, his original answer was correct.
                The Augustine reference is said to be from Enarratio In Psalmum XXXIV
                [MPL 36:323 - I have the reference from Sherman Isbell]
                "Nemo illi cantat digna, nisi qui ab illo acceperit quod cantare
                possit."
                While I don't read Latin, the quote in question is "noone can sing
                things worthy of God," and I don't see any Latin word for God in the
                actual Augustine quote, though the actual context in Augustine may
                make clear that God is intended in the quote. In that sense, Calvin
                is stating that Augustine mentions that no one can sing things worthy
                of God, etc., but is not necessarily quoting Augustine precisely word
                for word directly, but half quoting the passage he is alluding to. If
                I'm correct, the correct answer would appear to be Calvin.
                -thebishopsdoom
              • Brian M. Hanley
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 27, 2003
                  Ok, you win! Here is the new question, which should be more to
                  your satisfaction. - Brian

                  Question 1
                  Who was given credit in the 1565 Psalter for saying; 'no one is able

                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 27, 2003
                    I must say, I truely do appreciate you working with me on this! LOL!

                    It's your quiz, but here's how I'd word it:

                    "Who wrote, 'that which St. Augustine has said is true, that no one
                    is able to sing things worthy of God except that which he has
                    received from him'?

                    And then I'd remove St. Augustine from the list and put Isaac Watts
                    instead!

                    gmw (smiling).

                    <Brian@H...> wrote:

                    > Ok, you win! Here is the new question, which should be more to
                    > your satisfaction. - Brian
                    >
                    > Question 1
                    > Who was given credit in the 1565 Psalter for saying; 'no one is
                    able
                    > to sing things worthy of God except that which he has received from
                    > him.'
                    >
                    > John Calvin
                    > *St. Augustine*
                    > Martin Luther
                    > John Knox
                    >

                    > --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "gmw"
                    > <raging.calvinist@v...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Brother, are you the gentleman that runs the Reformed Faith and
                    > Worshp
                    > > Forum? Welcome!
                    > >
                    > > As for the quiz, here's what I get for the first question:
                    > >
                    > > Question 1
                    > > Who wrote; 'no one is able to sing things worthy of God except
                    that
                    > > which he has received from him.'
                    > >
                    > > *John Calvin
                    > > *St. Augustine
                    > > *Martin Luther
                    > > *John Knox
                    > >
                    > > And here's the problem I'm having: Calvin's statement
                    > is, "Moreover,
                    > > that which St. Augustine has said is true, that no one is able to
                    > sing
                    > > things worthy of God except that which he has received from him."
                    > >
                    > > How, then, can it be a wrong answer to choose Calvin, when Calvin
                    > did
                    > > infact write the sentence? And how can I be wrong for choosing
                    > > Augustine, whom Calvin is summing up?
                    > >
                    > > It's a crooked game, I tell you!
                    > >
                    > > LOL.
                    > >
                    > > :)
                    > >
                    > > gmw.

                  • Brian M. Hanley
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 27, 2003
                      Done! No problem brother, I appreciate the feedback.

                      Time to start working on part III.

                      In Christ,
                      - Brian

                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 27, 2003
                        Cool! You are WAY nicer than Doom's teachers!

                        <Brian@H...> wrote:

                        > Done! No problem brother, I appreciate the feedback.
                        >
                        > Time to start working on part III.
                        >
                        > In Christ,
                        > - Brian
                        >

                        > --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "gmw"
                        > <raging.calvinist@v...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > I must say, I truely do appreciate you working with me on this!
                        > LOL!
                        > >
                        > > It's your quiz, but here's how I'd word it:
                        > >
                        > > "Who wrote, 'that which St. Augustine has said is true, that no
                        > one
                        > > is able to sing things worthy of God except that which he has
                        > > received from him'?
                        > >
                        > > And then I'd remove St. Augustine from the list and put Isaac
                        > Watts
                        > > instead!
                        > >
                        > > gmw (smiling).
                      • thebishopsdoom
                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 29, 2003
                          <raging.calvinist@v...> wrote:

                          > Cool! You are WAY nicer than Doom's teachers!
                          >
                          > gmw.
                          You dare provoke the wrath of the Great and Powerful Teachers of
                          Doom?!
                          -doom :)
                        • Dan Fraas
                          Message 12 of 14 , Dec 2, 2003
                            It doesn't say, "God", but it appears to have the word, "him" in
                            there, doesn't it? I assume that refers to God, unless Augustine was
                            worshiping someone else.

                            Riley
                            --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, thebishopsdoom
                            <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                            > --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "gmw"
                            > <raging.calvinist@v...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Brother, are you the gentleman that runs the Reformed Faith and
                            > Worshp
                            > > Forum? Welcome!
                            > Yes, he is, and I saw his post on the quiz in that forum.
                            > Unless I am mistaken, his original answer was correct.
                            > The Augustine reference is said to be from Enarratio In Psalmum
                            XXXIV
                            > [MPL 36:323 - I have the reference from Sherman Isbell]
                            > "Nemo illi cantat digna, nisi qui ab illo acceperit quod cantare
                            > possit."
                            > While I don't read Latin, the quote in question is "noone can sing
                            > things worthy of God," and I don't see any Latin word for God in
                            the
                            > actual Augustine quote, though the actual context in Augustine may
                            > make clear that God is intended in the quote. In that sense, Calvin
                            > is stating that Augustine mentions that no one can sing things
                            worthy
                            > of God, etc., but is not necessarily quoting Augustine precisely
                            word
                            > for word directly, but half quoting the passage he is alluding to.
                            If
                            > I'm correct, the correct answer would appear to be Calvin.
                            > -thebishopsdoom
                          • thebishopsdoom
                            Message 13 of 14 , Dec 2, 2003
                              --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Fraas"
                              <fraasrd@y...> wrote:
                              > It doesn't say, "God", but it appears to have the word, "him" in
                              > there, doesn't it? I assume that refers to God, unless Augustine
                              was
                              > worshiping someone else.

                              Lest I be misunderstood.
                              My words:
                              > >the quote in question is **"noone can sing
                              > > things worthy of God,"** and I don't see any Latin word for God
                              in
                              > the
                              > > actual Augustine quote, **though the actual context in Augustine
                              may
                              > > make clear that God is intended in the quote.** In that sense,
                              Calvin
                              > > is stating that Augustine mentions that no one can sing things
                              > worthy
                              > > of God, etc., **but is not necessarily quoting Augustine
                              precisely
                              > word
                              > > for word directly,**
                              And in that sense, I implied that TECHNICALLY the original answer of
                              Calvin as being the person who wrote "no one is able to sing things
                              worthy of God" would appear to have been correct since Augustine
                              didn't actually write the specific quote mentioned (i.e., a kind of
                              trick question, the sort my teachers in high school used to pull),
                              Calvin was making an illusion without necessarily verbatim quoting.
                              Technically, I was alluding, the quote is Calvin's, but not
                              necessarily word for word a translation of Augustine's, though it is
                              pointing out something that Augustine teaches in the context of said
                              passage. I did not intend to imply that Augustine didn't say "sing
                              things worthy of him" and that the "him" in context referred back to
                              God.
                              -doom
                            • Dan Fraas
                              Message 14 of 14 , Dec 2, 2003
                                "And in that sense, I implied that TECHNICALLY the original answer of
                                Calvin as being the person who wrote "no one is able to sing things
                                worthy of God" would appear to have been correct since Augustine
                                didn't actually write the specific quote mentioned (i.e., a kind of
                                trick question, the sort my teachers in high school used to pull),
                                Calvin was making an illusion without necessarily verbatim quoting.
                                Technically, I was alluding, the quote is Calvin's, but not
                                necessarily word for word a translation of Augustine's, though it is
                                pointing out something that Augustine teaches in the context of said
                                passage. I did not intend to imply that Augustine didn't say "sing
                                things worthy of him" and that the "him" in context referred back to
                                God."

                                I understood what you meant. I'm saying that it can still be a
                                bonafide quote rather than a mere paraphrase or allusion if Calvin
                                substituted "God" for "him". I assume that Calvin's preface to the
                                Genevan Psalter was in French, not Latin, so Calvin couldn't
                                transcribe Augustine's comment verbatim, anyway. Quotes and
                                translations may substitute the noun for the pronoun, I think. Our
                                English Bible translation often does the same. Did the translators
                                pen quotes from Jesus or did they merely allude to Him in places
                                where they interchanged nouns and pronouns? hmmm...