Salvation Through The Church of Rome?

  • Thomas Britton
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 8, 2003
      This is next in the series ->

      Salvation Through The Church
      Roman Catholicism teaches that salvation is available only through
      the Catholic church:

      "The Second Vatican Council's Decree on Ecumenism explains: 'For it
      is through Christ's Catholic Church alone, which is the universal
      help toward salvation, that the fullness of the means of salvation
      can be obtained.'" Pg. 215, #816

      Here, the 1994 catechism reaffirms the existing teaching of Vatican
      II, that salvation can be obtained only through the Roman Catholic
      church. The catechism leaves no doubt that the Catholic church is
      necessary for salvation:

      "...all salvation comes from Christ the Head through the Church which
      is his Body: Basing itself on Scripture and Tradition, the Council
      teaches that the Church, a pilgrim now on earth, is necessary for
      salvation..." Pg. 224, #846

      Past popes have taught this doctrine, as have previous catechisms and
      church fathers. Here is but one example…

      On May 7, 2001, Pope John Paul II told 2,000 youth gathered at the
      Greek-Melkite Cathedral of Damascus that "you cannot be a Christian
      if you reject the Church founded on Jesus Christ."1

      Catholic friend, you personally may not believe this, but your pope
      does. And it is an official doctrine of your religion.

      If you check God's Word on this subject, you will not find a single
      verse requiring one to go through a church to be saved. In fact, the
      opposite is taught:

      "For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved."
      Romans 10:13

      When Jesus died on the cross, He paid the full price for the sins of
      all mankind. According to God's Word, anyone can go directly to Him
      for salvation. Jesus Himself announced that:

      "He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that
      believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God
      abideth on him." John 3:36

      Jesus preached:

      "He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath
      everlasting life…" John 5:24

      "He that believeth on me hath everlasting life." John 6:47

      Jesus repeats this message in John 3:16, 3:18, and 6:40. If the
      Catholic church really is necessary for salvation, then Jesus Christ
      is a liar.

      The Apostle Paul gives step by step instructions on how to be saved:

      "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt
      believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou
      shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness;
      and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation." Romans 10:9-10

      Notice, no church is required. So if Catholicism is right, then the
      Apostle Paul is also a liar. And since he wrote under the inspiration
      of the Holy Spirit, the Holy Spirit is a liar as well.

      "But as many as received (trusted in) him, to them gave he power to
      become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name." John
      1:12

      John says you become God's child by believing in Jesus Christ. If
      this Catholic doctrine is true, then John's name must be added to the
      list of liars.

      But John is not a liar. Jesus never requires a church for salvation:

      "To him (Jesus) give all the prophets witness, that through his name
      whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins." Acts
      10:43

      The key is belief in Christ, not a church:

      "For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of
      God unto salvation to every one that believeth…" Romans 1:16

      According to Paul, Timothy needed faith in Christ to be saved, not a
      church:

      "And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are
      able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in
      Christ Jesus." 2 Timothy 3:15

      When the Philippian prison guard asked Paul, "What must I do to be
      saved?," did Paul answer, "You must become a member of the Roman
      Catholic church?" No, he responded:

      "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved…" Acts
      16:31

      Remember when Jesus was hanging on the cross? The thief on the cross
      next to Him cried out:

      "…Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom." Luke 23:42

      When that dying sinner uttered those words of faith, Jesus responded
      by saying:

      "To day shalt thou be with me in paradise." Luke 23:43

      Salvation is in Christ… not in a church.

      The catechism claims salvation comes "…through Christ's Catholic
      Church alone…" But God's Word says it is obtained through Jesus
      Christ:

      "For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life
      through Jesus Christ our Lord." Romans 6:23

      "… God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live
      through him." 1 John 4:9

      Only Christ can offer us salvation because He alone shed His blood
      for us:

      "Much more then, being now justi-fied by his blood, we shall be saved
      from wrath through him." Romans 5:9

      No church can offer salvation. Only Jesus can:

      "Neither is there salvation in any other (except Jesus): for there is
      none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be
      saved." Acts 4:10, 12

      Conclusion

      Since the Bible and Catholicism clearly disagree, here are some
      questions you must answer:

      • If the Catholic church is necessary to escape hell and reach
      heaven, would not God have clearly stated it in His Word… at least
      once?

      • Why would Jesus repeatedly lie by saying that salvation is
      available through faith in Him?

      •Are you willing to call Jesus Christ, the Holy Spirit, the Apostle
      Paul and the Apostle John all liars? For your religion to be right,
      you must.

      • For centuries, Bible believing Christians have contended that this
      unbiblical doctrine was created to keep members in bondage. Was it?

      • Lastly, you must again answer the question, "Which will I obey and
      serve, the traditions of men, or the Word of God?" You cannot
      say "both" because each says the other is wrong.

      Someday you will stand face to face with Jesus Christ. You will look
      Him right in the eyes. You might want to start thinking about how you
      are going to tell the Lord that you rejected His teachings and obeyed
      the traditions of sinful men because you assumed He was lying.

      "For laying aside the commandment of God, ye hold the tradition of
      men…" Mark 7:8

      http://www.chick.com/reading/books/160/160cont.asp