Re: Sole Claim to Apostolic Succession?

  • Thomas Britton
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 8, 2003
      John,

      The question I was trying to address was the Papists' claim that they
      are the only TRUE church; you know, "Where was YOUR church before the
      Reformation." Could you address that issue?

      Thanks,

      Tom
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 8, 2003
        The Culdees come to mind, mentioned both in the Act, Declaration and
        Testimony, and in A. Shield's A Hind Let Loose. They were in Scotland
        before Popery ever got there. I wish I knew more about them.

        "Those early witnesses for Christ, having no other ambition but that
        of advancing piety and the doctrines which were according to
        godliness, were therefore called Culdees, that is, Cultores Dei, or
        worshipers of God. The doctrine, worship, discipline, and government
        of the house of God being thus established, continued for many years,
        taught and exercised, according to divine institution." (A,D,&T).

        Shield's on the Caldees can be read here:
        http://www.covenanter.org/AShields/Hind/partIperiod1.htm

        gmw.

        --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Britton"

        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 8, 2003
          > Shield's on the Caldees can be read here:

          Should, of course, read Culdees.

          gmw.
        • Thomas Britton
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 8, 2003