Re: Sola Fide

  • James
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 4, 2003
      Can anyone help me? What does Sola Fida or, Sola Scriptura mean?
      JD
      <raging.calvinist@v...> wrote:
      > For the edification of my brethren and the glory of Christ our
      Lord...

      > On being just before God only by the alien righteousness of Christ
      imputed to us by faith, apart from our own works.

      > (or, Sola Fide, from a Sola Scriptura perspective)
      >

      > Jeremiah 23:6
      >
      > In his days Judah shall be saved, and Israel shall dwell safely: and
      this is his name whereby he shall be called, The Lord Our
      Righteousness.

      > Acts 13:38,39
      >
      > Be it known unto you therefore, men and brethren, that through this
      man is preached unto you the forgiveness of sins: And by him all that
      believe are justified from all things, from which ye could not be
      justified by the law of Moses.

      > Romans 3:21,22,24,25,27
      >
      > But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested,
      being witnessed by the law and the prophets. Even the righteousness
      of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them
      that believe: for there is no difference. Being justified freely by
      his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus. Whom God
      hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to
      declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past,
      through the forbearance of God. Where is boasting then? It is
      excluded. By what law? of works? Nay: but by the law of faith.

      > Romans 4:4-8
      >
      > Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of
      debt. But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that
      justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. Even
      as David also describeth the blessedness of the man, unto whom God
      imputeth righteousness without works, Saying, Blessed are they whose
      iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered. Blessed is the
      man to whom the Lord will not impute sin.

      > Romans 5:17-19
      >
      > For if by one man's offence death reigned by one; much more they
      which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness
      shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ. Therefore as by the offence
      of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the
      righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto
      justification of life. For as by one man's disobedience many were made
      sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.

      > Romans 11:6
      >
      > And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no
      more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise
      work is no more work.

      > 2 Corinthians 5:19,21
      >
      > To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself,
      not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us
      the word of reconciliation. For he hath made him to be sin for us, who
      knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

      > Galatians 2:16,21
      >
      > Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by
      the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that
      we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of
      the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified. I do
      not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law,
      then Christ is dead in vain.

      > Ephesians 1:7
      >
      > In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of
      sins, according to the riches of his grace.

      > Ephesians 2:7,8
      >
      > That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his
      grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus. For by grace
      are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift
      of God.

      > Philippians 3:8,9
      >
      > Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of
      the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the
      loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ,
      And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of
      the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the
      righteousness which is of God by faith:

      > Titus 3:3-7
      >
      > For we ourselves also were sometimes foolish, disobedient, deceived,
      serving divers lusts and pleasures, living in malice and envy,
      hateful, and hating one another. But after that the kindness and love
      of God our Saviour toward man appeared, Not by works of righteousness
      which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the
      washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost; Which he shed
      on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour; That being
      justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope
      of eternal life.