Re: Presbyterians against Halloween?

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2003
      Make sure you check out the response by Pastor Dale Stanford:

      --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Britton"
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 2003
        The whole "Christian alternative to Halloween" thing sickens me. I
        remember going to our local "Youth for Christ" back in high school.
        They showed us a short "gospel film," and then took us on a spooky
        hayride out to a haunted barn they had set up. What's that supposed
        to do? Scare any thought of God out of your head you may have been
        considering after the "gospel film"? Anyway, this was also on the
        Sovereign Gospel website:

        Feeding Sheep or Amusing Goats
        by Charles Haddon Spurgeon

        An evil is in the professed camp of the Lord, so gross in its
        impudence, that the most shortsighted can hardly fail to notice it.
        During the past few years it has developed at an abnormal rate, even
        for evil. It has worked like leaven until the whole lump ferments.
        The devil has seldom done a cleverer thing, than hinting to the
        Church that part of their mission is to provide entertainment for the
        people, with a view to winning them. From speaking out as the
        Puritans did, the Church has gradually toned down her testimony, then
        winked at and excused the frivolities of the day. Then she tolerated
        them in her borders. Now she has adopted them under the plea of
        reaching the masses.

        My first contention is that providing amusement for the people is
        nowhere spoken of in the Scriptures as a function of the Church - if
        it is a Christian work why did not Christ speak of it? 'Go ye into
        all the world and preach the gospel to every creature'. That is clear
        enough, so it would have been if He had added, 'and provide amusement
        for those who do not relish the gospel'. No such words, however, are
        to he found. It did not seem to occur to Him. Then again, 'He gave
        some apostles, some prophets, some pastors and teachers, for the work
        of the ministry'. Where do entertainers come in? The Holy Spirit is
        silent concerning them. Were the prophets persecuted because they
        amused the people or because they refused? The concert has no martyr

        Again, providing amusement is in direct antagonism to the teaching
        and life of Christ and all His apostles. What was the attitude of the
        Church to the world? 'Ye are the salt', not the sugar candy -
        something the world will spit out, not swallow. Short and sharp was
        the utterance 'Let the dead bury their dead'. He was in awful

        Had he introduced more of the bright and pleasant elements into His
        mission, He would have been more popular when they went back, because
        of the searching nature of His teaching. I do not hear Him say, 'Run
        after these people, Peter, and tell them we will have a different
        style of service tomorrow - something short and attractive with
        little preaching - we will have a pleasant evening for the people.
        Tell them they will be sure to enjoy it. Be quick, Peter, we must get
        the people somehow!' Jesus pitied sinners, sighed and wept over them,
        but never sought to amuse them. In vain will the epistles be searched
        to find any trace of the gospel of amusement. Their message is. 'Come
        out, keep out, keep clean out' - anything approaching fooling is
        conspicuous by its absence. They had boundless confidence in the
        gospel and employed no other weapon.

        After Peter and John were locked up for preaching, the Church had a
        prayer meeting, but they did not pray, 'Lord, grant unto thy servants
        that by a wise and disc by a wise and discriminating use of innocent
        recreation we may show these people how happy we are'. If they ceased
        not for preaching Christ, they had not time for arranging
        entertainments - scattered by persecution they went everywhere
        preaching the gospel. They turned the world upside down, that is the
        only difference! Lord, clear the Church of all the rot and rubbish
        the devil has imposed on her and bring us back to apostolic methods.

        Lastly, the mission of amusement fails to effect the end desired. It
        works among young converts. Let the careless and scoffers, who thank
        God because the Church met them half way, speak and testify. Let the
        heavy laden who found peace through the concert not keep silent! Let
        the drunkard to whom the dramatic entertainment had been God's link
        in the chain of their conversion, stand up! There are none to answer!
        The mission of amusement produces no converts.

        The need of the hour for today's ministry is believing scholarship,
        joined with earnest spirituality, the one springing from the other as
        fruit from the root. The need is Biblical doctrine, so understood and
        felt, that it sets men on fire.