Presbyterians against Halloween?

  • Thomas Britton
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 31, 2003
      From the, "Oh, how things have changed file.

      This link will take you to a letter from a "Presbyterian" "pastor:"

      http://makeashorterlink.com/?W59B12766

      How long O Lord?
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 2003
        Make sure you check out the response by Pastor Dale Stanford:

        http://www.sovereign-gospel.org/Presbyresponse.htm

        gmw.

        --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Britton"

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 1, 2003
          The whole "Christian alternative to Halloween" thing sickens me. I
          remember going to our local "Youth for Christ" back in high school.
          They showed us a short "gospel film," and then took us on a spooky
          hayride out to a haunted barn they had set up. What's that supposed
          to do? Scare any thought of God out of your head you may have been
          considering after the "gospel film"? Anyway, this was also on the
          Sovereign Gospel website:

          ---
          Feeding Sheep or Amusing Goats
          by Charles Haddon Spurgeon

          An evil is in the professed camp of the Lord, so gross in its
          impudence, that the most shortsighted can hardly fail to notice it.
          During the past few years it has developed at an abnormal rate, even
          for evil. It has worked like leaven until the whole lump ferments.
          The devil has seldom done a cleverer thing, than hinting to the
          Church that part of their mission is to provide entertainment for the
          people, with a view to winning them. From speaking out as the
          Puritans did, the Church has gradually toned down her testimony, then
          winked at and excused the frivolities of the day. Then she tolerated
          them in her borders. Now she has adopted them under the plea of
          reaching the masses.

          My first contention is that providing amusement for the people is
          nowhere spoken of in the Scriptures as a function of the Church - if
          it is a Christian work why did not Christ speak of it? 'Go ye into
          all the world and preach the gospel to every creature'. That is clear
          enough, so it would have been if He had added, 'and provide amusement
          for those who do not relish the gospel'. No such words, however, are
          to he found. It did not seem to occur to Him. Then again, 'He gave
          some apostles, some prophets, some pastors and teachers, for the work
          of the ministry'. Where do entertainers come in? The Holy Spirit is
          silent concerning them. Were the prophets persecuted because they
          amused the people or because they refused? The concert has no martyr
          roll.

          Again, providing amusement is in direct antagonism to the teaching
          and life of Christ and all His apostles. What was the attitude of the
          Church to the world? 'Ye are the salt', not the sugar candy -
          something the world will spit out, not swallow. Short and sharp was
          the utterance 'Let the dead bury their dead'. He was in awful
          earnestness!

          Had he introduced more of the bright and pleasant elements into His
          mission, He would have been more popular when they went back, because
          of the searching nature of His teaching. I do not hear Him say, 'Run
          after these people, Peter, and tell them we will have a different
          style of service tomorrow - something short and attractive with
          little preaching - we will have a pleasant evening for the people.
          Tell them they will be sure to enjoy it. Be quick, Peter, we must get
          the people somehow!' Jesus pitied sinners, sighed and wept over them,
          but never sought to amuse them. In vain will the epistles be searched
          to find any trace of the gospel of amusement. Their message is. 'Come
          out, keep out, keep clean out' - anything approaching fooling is
          conspicuous by its absence. They had boundless confidence in the
          gospel and employed no other weapon.

          After Peter and John were locked up for preaching, the Church had a
          prayer meeting, but they did not pray, 'Lord, grant unto thy servants
          that by a wise and disc by a wise and discriminating use of innocent
          recreation we may show these people how happy we are'. If they ceased
          not for preaching Christ, they had not time for arranging
          entertainments - scattered by persecution they went everywhere
          preaching the gospel. They turned the world upside down, that is the
          only difference! Lord, clear the Church of all the rot and rubbish
          the devil has imposed on her and bring us back to apostolic methods.

          Lastly, the mission of amusement fails to effect the end desired. It
          works among young converts. Let the careless and scoffers, who thank
          God because the Church met them half way, speak and testify. Let the
          heavy laden who found peace through the concert not keep silent! Let
          the drunkard to whom the dramatic entertainment had been God's link
          in the chain of their conversion, stand up! There are none to answer!
          The mission of amusement produces no converts.

          The need of the hour for today's ministry is believing scholarship,
          joined with earnest spirituality, the one springing from the other as
          fruit from the root. The need is Biblical doctrine, so understood and
          felt, that it sets men on fire.

          ---