Re: [Covenanted Reformation] Re: Authorized Version & KJV-only Extremism

  • Thomas Britton
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 6, 2003

      Yup,

      Down widat

      TdB

      Do you Yahoo!?
    • Thomas Britton
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 6, 2003

        The Geneva Bible def. has its merits, merits that the modern versions do not.

        (E.g., compare any modern version with the Authorized Version on Genesis 2:20

        And Adam gave names to all cattle, and to the fowl of the air, and to every beast of the field; but for Adam there was not found an help meet for him. A.V.

        But for Adam [1] no suitable helper was found. NIV

        But for Adam there was not found a helper comparable to him. New "King James".

        The NKJV follows the NIV not the Authorized version.)

        Not really wanting to start a faithful translation vs. unfaithful translation debate. I was interested in the question of using Webster's or the Geneva Bible within the context of covenanted uniformity.

        Hope this clarifies,

        Tom

        Do you Yahoo!?
      • SteveZ167
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 6, 2003
          Message
          Question... Why is the KJV called the Authorized Version?

          My answer is because a King had a bias to God's Word the Geneva Bible because it threatened his kingship besides the Catholics wanted the Geneva Bible to be replaced also. Plus the Geneva Bible was against Freemasons and secret fraternities which have proven throughout history to be worshiping Lucifer and not the God of the Bible.

          Steve

          Home Page
          1599 Geneva Bible Online

          1 Corinthians 14:8 And also if the trumpet give an uncertain sound, who shall prepare himself to battle?
          Yahoo Group Owner

          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 8, 2003
            Tom,

            I'd suggest you try using the New King James Version. Although I
            personally think that it is an inferior translation in some ways,
            largely because modern English is ill-suited to a translation from
            antiquity, it has many advantages in comprehension for your average
            reader.

            Riley
            --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Britton"
            <bander1643@y...> wrote:
            > I am curious about what any of you think about Noah Webster's
            Preface