[Covenanted Reformation] Re: Presbyterians invented Gospel singing?

  • Dan Fraas
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 4, 2003
      Perhaps, but who made Martin Luther? God.

      Riley
      --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, kim White
      <sewingkim@y...> wrote:

      > Dear Dan Fraas,
      >
      > I thought singing in church was started by Martin
      > Luther. The church was against singing in church
      > Martin disagree and started to write Hymms for the
      > congretion.
      > I could be wrong but I saw this on a two hours PBS
      > video on Martin Luther.
      > Kim
      >

      > --- Dan Fraas <fraasrd@y...> wrote:
      > > Well, if you trace gospel songs back to the Psalms,
      > > then I guess
      > > you'd have to trace the Psalms back to David and
      > > Asaph, and the Holy
      > > Spirit, who proceeds from the father. So you'd have
      > > to say that God
      > > the father invented gospel singing, not
      > > Presbyterians.
      > >
      > > Riley
      > > --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com,
      > > "puritanstorm"
      > > <john@f...> wrote:
      > > > From WorldNetDaily:
      > > >

      > http://www.thisisnorthscotland.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?

      nodeId=62692&command=displayContent&sourceNode=62244&contentPK=688422

    • kim White
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 4, 2003
        Dear Doom,

        Thank you for the info and corrections in the time
        lines of pslams for me. It makes better since putting
        it into the times frames for me.
        I can see Luther putting more singing to the common
        man his main goal that the gospel was for everyone not
        just the priest and heirarchy of the church. I think
        Martin Luther is glad the sermon in the Catholic
        church is no longer in Latin.
        I remember the sermons in latin as I was a kid.
        Kim

        --- thebishopsdoom <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
> [...]
        > existed in the 3rd century or before.
        > 4. The 4th century brought the introduction of
        > doxologies at the end
        > of psalms. It also brought debates on method of
        > singing, inspired
        > versus uninspired texts, and congregational versus
        > choral or
        > individual cantor singing. Due to possibly some
        > council (Laodieca
        > perhaps), congregational singing waned through the
        > west for perhaps a
        > few decades, some churches discontinuing music
        > altogether it would
        > appear, though some have argued that it continued in
        > some country
        > churches, while the city churches tended to drop out
        > the music or at
        > least congregational singing. It was brought back to
        > the west via
        > Ambrose, via Hilary, via John Chrysostom. In the
        > churches, Ambrose
        > restored congregational psalmody to the mass, at
        > gatherings outside
        > of the mass, he also incorporated the anti-arian
        > hymnody and composed
        > some dozen and a half or so hymns of his own. The
        > practice of both
        > Psalmody and uninspired hymnody spread thru the West
        > from Ambrose's
        > diocese in Milan. The 4th century also saw the
        > growth of other
        > Biblical texts being sung, as well as the growing
        > popularity of
        > appending Biblical song texts with uninspired
        > additions (as in the
        > Gloria in Excelsis Deo). This latter practice
        > eventually developed
        > into "tropes" - antiphonally sung uninspired
        > comments interspersed
        > into Psalm texts. Psalm texts interspersed with such
        > additions are
        > called "farced Psalms." I am aware that in the
        > Ethiopic church, this
        > became (by early middle ages?) almost the exclusive
        > method of
        > Psalmody.
        > 5. Thru the middle ages, in the west at least, there
        > were differences
        > in what was sung (some places only recited the
        > doxologies but other
        > churches sung, some recited the Sanctus while others
        > sung, some
        > recited the Trisagion while others sung, some
        > recited the prayers
        > while others sung, some used more extensive
        > extraBiblical songs while
        > some rejected all songs not regarded as inspired by
        > God). But while
        > it was not universal, the emphasis of the day was on
        > choral
        > performances, and not all churches had even any
        > congregational
        > singing. By Luther's day, congregational singing had
        > far waned in
        > favour of ministers and professional choirs.
        > What Luther introduced in Germany was, or perhaps
        > rather
        > reintroduced, was congregational singing. There were
        === message truncated ===

        http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
      • thebishopsdoom
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 4, 2003
          <sewingkim@y...> wrote:

          > I can see Luther putting more singing to the common
          > man his main goal that the gospel was for everyone not
          > just the priest and heirarchy of the church.
          Well, it wasn't just the hierarchy per se, but the choral
          performances in general had weakened further the participation of the
          common man as anything more than a spectator at worship. In my haste,
          I may oversimplify some things here, so bear with my infirmity here.
          One of the difficulties coming thru the middle ages, again, not
          necessarily everywhere, but a common problem, is that the average
          Christian did things on his own, but in corporate worship, he was
          heavily reliant upon others to do most everything for him. Not only
          did others offer up his praise for him (with respect to the singing;
          there was some congregational participation at least in the
          liturgical prayers surrounding the mass), but in the mass, a
          corruption had been introduced and spread whereby the eucharist was
          effectual not to the individual by faith, nor was the requirement
          something along the lines of looking thru the symbols to the cross of
          Calvary, and pledging himself thereto and requesting of God thru that
          sacrifice (at Calvary, smbolized in the bread and wine) to bestow the
          pardon of sins and sanctification of our nature. Rather,
          increasingly, the effectualness was dependent upon the "priest" and
          him alone. Furthermore, the sacrifice of the mass was increasingly
          seen as more than a symbol of the sacrifice at Calvary, but a fresh
          sacrificing of Christ, or otherwise adding something to Calvary or
          repeating Calvary again as though God needed Calvary repeated, or
          some further sacrifice for our new sins committed daily. As a result,
          the person in many churches in Europe needed only to be a spectator
          and to believe that if the minister followed the liturgical
          formulations properly, everything was already done for the average
          Christian in the congregation, so long as he remained in the
          institutional church, which (in addition to Christian souls believed
          to be in purgatory) were the objects the priest beseached the
          benefits of the sacrifice for. So there was this danger that church
          was to become a spectator sport as it were. If the minister did his
          part, and I stayed in the institutional church and didn't do anything
          to get excommunicated, I had pretty much done my part. (Of course, it
          shouldn't be denied that many souls understood outside of the
          corporate worship service their need for personal experience with God
          and private worship, but like as today many think if they attend
          church on lord's days, they've done their part for God, so too, the
          danger here was that people think that they can just relax and let
          the priest do all the work for them, as long as they try to be moral
          people, or at least, make some contribution to the church if they do
          anything immoral, in the idea that the priest would be bound to
          pronounce a sentence of assurance of absolution to them for their
          good deed, as though the mere work itself was a proof of repentance,
          which is what penance originally was for - to give evidence to the
          church that you had in fact repented by a willingness to satisfy the
          church's demands for proof of repentance). Of course, in saying all
          of this, I am speaking of common errors of that time, I am not
          claiming that these errors were absolutely universal, though the
          church in general was not absent of those things which might foster
          such errors in people's minds (the expressions used in the prayers of
          the mass, and the fact that the mass was held and widely held as
          beneficial to the people regardless of whether the people yet knew
          the latin language to know what was going on, for example, could be
          theorized to have perhaps helped to feed the idea that all that
          mattered was that the minister follow the right formulae, regardless
          of whether I have any idea what he is saying or doing, and if he does
          his job I would be granted blessings by the minister's own work, in
          and of itself).

          >I think
          > Martin Luther is glad the sermon in the Catholic
          > church is no longer in Latin.
          > I remember the sermons in latin as I was a kid.
          > Kim
          Yes, I am sure that he would. To be fair, throughout most of the
          middle ages, the better churches had attempted to teach the people
          latin. And thru the middle ages, many people as a result did in fact
          know latin as a second language. The problem is that since things
          depended predominantly on the right liturgical formulas, and the
          actions and intercession of the minister, it was common for the
          church to do worship in Latin and try to instruct the people on it
          only afterwards if at all. Since it didn't matter whether or not the
          people
          understood the words or what was going on, so long as the minister
          did his job for their benefit, the people really didn't need to know
          latin. That's why they just started everything in Latin from the very
          beginning of bringing the church into a nation, expecting new
          converts to be taught later on about what was actually being saidin
          the latin. As a result, there was less push for vernacular
          translations, and certainly less
          push for vernacular masses. There were some thru the middle ages, but
          they seem to have been in the minority. Likewise, while the church in
          better times and places did attempt to teach the people latin to
          understand what was going on and to read the common translation of
          the Scriptures, it seems apparent that by the reformation the general
          populace in much of Europe did not appear to know latin, and thus the
          popularity of vernacular translations and services at the time of the
          reformation.
          -thebishopsdoom
        • kim White
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 5, 2003
            Dear Doom,

            Thank you for the history lesson. It all makes sense.

            No wonder the middle ages was also called the dark
            ages too.

            http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com