Re: another weeping calvinist tonight...

  • thebishopsdoom
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 27, 2003
      --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, kim White
      <sewingkim@y...> wrote:
      > Dear Doom,
      > Thank you for sharing your needs. Have a hopefully
      > happy birthday treat yourself to something.

      Thank you. I got a chance to see my friend today, so I can give an
      update.
      She didn't have a fever when I was there (whether she's getting over
      the fevers, or whether they come and go, I don't know), but she's not
      out of the woods yet, either. She's still on oxygen, she's got a
      cough, and she is ill. But there is some glimmer of hope for
      recovery. I've been a bit run down for a week or so, and got little
      sleep last night, but today I had some of my strength renewed.
      She was alert and seemed in decent spirits, and was very happy to see
      me. In spite of the illness, we had such a blessed time that far from
      my expectations, I had one of the best birthdays I have had in a
      while. I came in the morning, so I was able to treat myself to a long
      visit.
      I talked with her a bit and I read some Scriptures. Then I read to
      her "Jesus Christ an Object of Love and a Source of Joy, Though
      Unseen", by William Cunningham. I wasn't very long winded, especially
      after such little sleep and having trouble eating last night and this
      morning, so I took breaks - once for lunch and twice to listen to
      some metrical Psalms on tape and I tried to cue her in on some of the
      words to help her profit better from it, in case she didn't catch
      some of the words. When I finished the sermon, we listened to the
      Psalms again, and then I talked to her a little bit more before I had
      to head out for work. She was very happy from the visit, and my
      spirits have been raised. What a difference a friendship makes! What
      a difference the Lord makes!
      Thank you.
      Your brother,
      -thebishopsdoom

      Behold how good a thing it is,
      and how becoming well,
      together such as brethren are
      in unity to dwell!
      Like precious ointment on the head,
      that down the beard did flow,
      e'en Aaron's beard, and to the skirts
      did of his garments go.
      As Hermon's dew, the dew that doth
      on Sion's hills descend:
      for there the blessing God commands,
      life that shall never end.
      -Psalm 33
    • kim White
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 28, 2003
        Dear Doom,

        Its looks like you actually relaxed for awhile I am
        thankful too.
        Its wonderful I was thinking last nite as I was
        praying for you. What a gift prayer is because it
        really does not come naturally only through God.
        Sometimes, when I am praying its such a struggle just
        to keep focused and bring people to my mind to pray I
        know I could never have done it on my own will and I
        was just thankful whenever I can keep my eyes off
        myself and what ever is going on around me and think
        Kim here someone else in need I can pray for them
        because of the Holy Spirit inside me and I could have
        never done it without.
        Than you realize what a gift God has given you a
        relationship with him something personnel and tangible
        not a distant God who created the universe but a
        personable one to.
        Kim

        --- thebishopsdoom <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
        > kim White
        > <sewingkim@y...> wrote:
        > > Dear Doom,
        > > Thank you for sharing your needs. Have a
        > hopefully
        > > happy birthday treat yourself to something.
        >
        > Thank you. I got a chance to see my friend today, so
        > I can give an
        > update.
        > She didn't have a fever when I was there (whether
        > she's getting over
        > the fevers, or whether they come and go, I don't
        > know), but she's not
        > out of the woods yet, either. She's still on oxygen,
        > she's got a
        > cough, and she is ill. But there is some glimmer of
        > hope for
        > recovery. I've been a bit run down for a week or so,
        > and got little
        > sleep last night, but today I had some of my
        > strength renewed.
        > She was alert and seemed in decent spirits, and was
        > very happy to see
        > me. In spite of the illness, we had such a blessed
        > time that far from
        > my expectations, I had one of the best birthdays I
        > have had in a
        > while. I came in the morning, so I was able to treat
        > myself to a long
        > visit.
        > I talked with her a bit and I read some Scriptures.
        > Then I read to
        > her "Jesus Christ an Object of Love and a Source of
        > Joy, Though
        > Unseen", by William Cunningham. I wasn't very long
        > winded, especially
        > after such little sleep and having trouble eating
        > last night and this
        > morning, so I took breaks - once for lunch and twice
        > to listen to
        > some metrical Psalms on tape and I tried to cue her
        > in on some of the
        > words to help her profit better from it, in case she
        > didn't catch
        > some of the words. When I finished the sermon, we
        > listened to the
        > Psalms again, and then I talked to her a little bit
        > more before I had
        > to head out for work. She was very happy from the
        > visit, and my
        > spirits have been raised. What a difference a
        > friendship makes! What
        > a difference the Lord makes!
        > Thank you.
        > Your brother,
        > -thebishopsdoom
        >
        > Behold how good a thing it is,
        > and how becoming well,
        > together such as brethren are
        > in unity to dwell!
        > Like precious ointment on the head,
        > that down the beard did flow,
        > e'en Aaron's beard, and to the skirts
        > did of his garments go.
        > As Hermon's dew, the dew that doth
        > on Sion's hills descend:
        > for there the blessing God commands,
        > life that shall never end.
        > -Psalm 33

        http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
      • thebishopsdoom
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 21, 2003
          From Psalm 88
          1 Lord God, my Saviour, day and night
          before thee cry'd have I.
          2 Before thee let my prayer come;
          give ear unto my cry.

          3 For troubles great do fill my soul;
          my life draws nigh the grave.
          4 I'm counted with those that go down
          to pit, and no strength have...

          8 Thou hast put far from me my friends,
          thou mad'st them to abhor me;
          And I am so shut up, that I
          find no evasion for me.

          9 By reason of affliction
          mine eye mourns dolefully:
          To thee, Lord, do I call, and stretch
          my hands continually...

          16 The dreadful fierceness of thy wrath
          quite over me doth go:
          Thy terrors great have cut me off,
          they did pursue me so.

          17 For round about me ev'ry day,
          like water, they did roll;
          And, gathering together, they
          have compassed my soul.

          18 My friends thou hast put far from me,
          and him that did me love;
          And those that mine acquaintance were
          to darkness didst remove.
          This is not too inaccurate a description of how I am feeling right
          now.
          I mentioned some time back about a friend of mine who had fallen very
          ill, just prior to my birthday, and the praise of how they seemed to
          be recovering.
          Friday, they aspirated on some drink. They have not been doing well.
          Because I went on a trip on Saturday, I did my best to get up early
          to see them on Lord's day to read them some Scriptures before heading
          for church, I only was able to gain a few minutes to visit, but that
          was when I was made aware of their situation. I returned Sabbath
          evening only to find that they were doing even worse. I spent 4 1/2
          hours at their bedside praying and talking to them, and for a while
          playing psalms very softly - not enough to keep them awake, but
          softly so they could hear and at least by soothed by the sound of the
          music if nothing else.
          They dozed in and out, but mostly slept, and I tried to speak in such
          a way that they could hear, but I would hopefully not keep them awake
          if they got too tired. I spoke a little about our friendship over the
          years, some about the gospel, and more about heaven - recalling some
          of the things from a sermon I read to them several months back,
          Heaven: A World of Love, by Jonathan Edwards. In particular, the
          removal of sin nature, and the untold glory of being without sin
          nature and existing without the impediments either in ourselves or
          others that hindered the perfection of love in this life, as also a
          little of whether we would know people on the other side, pointing to
          the fact that the apostles at the Transfiguration did not seem to
          need told that Elijah and Moses were present, though they had never
          obviously seen either's face before.
          My friend's prognosis is not good. The family is preparing themselves
          for an impending death. The medical staff has told me that I ought to
          prepare myself for the same. It is not impossible that they will
          survive, but the staff are expressing doubts, and doubt of exactly
          how long they'll still be around now even if they recover from the
          current crisis. I'm a wreck. I do not come from a close family, and
          over the years, this friend has sometimes seemed the closest thing to
          family that I've got. Even the family of my friend informed me this
          evening that they have regarded me like a member of the family.
          I will appreciate certainly any prayers for my friend's recovery. At
          the same time, I know that I need to deal with the inevitable, and
          ask for prayer that if they go, or if not this time, then when they
          go, the Lord be compassionate on them, and not take them with great
          pain or sorrow, but comfort them in body and in soul (they have been
          known to profess at the least a simple faith in Christ, and to have
          lived a life of sacrifice for others of their family, showing them
          much love and kindness; I myself have also attempted to share with
          them some ideas about the reformation solas - Christ, faith, and
          grace alone, and their responses have been positive, so I think it
          not unbased to have a hope for them). I shed many a tear this night,
          and it was difficult to leave, yet I have to go to work Monday, so I
          knew I had to get home both for sleep and to prepare for work. I am
          hoping to stop in to visit before work. But I know I'm needing prayer
          myself to be comforted. It is not easy to face the potential loss of
          fellowship with such a dear friend. Different people have different
          degrees of difficulty at dealing with these things, and though
          normally I'm not too bad, this person is very special to me, and I'm
          just sad.
          -doom

          --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, thebishopsdoom
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 22, 2003
            Sounds like a very special friend you have there, brother.  Sounds like you've been a blessing to her, as well.

            May the Lord bless and strengthen you, and have compassion and mercy upon your friend, strengthening her again if He wills, and if not, may He bring her safely into that glory you took the time to tell her of.  Amen.

            Sent: Monday, September 22, 2003 12:54 AM
            Subject: [Covenanted Reformation] Re: another weeping calvinist tonight...

            From Psalm 88

            <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            > I'm feeling fairly broken right now.
            > I have felt closing in on burn out for about a week or so, and I
            got
            > news tonight that a very dear friend of mine has fallen very ill.
            > They have been running high fevers and were placed on oxygen since
            > apparently 3 days ago. Wednesday is my birthday, and Lord willing I
            > plan to stop by before work to visit them.
            > I thank any of you for any prayers in any of these regards.
            > -thebishopsdoom

            ---
          • thebishopsdoom
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 22, 2003
              Today the doctor examined my friend. His judgment was that chances of
              survival at this point are zero. :(

              Inside, I'm a mess of emotion right now.
              I know she's lived to a ripe age, and I have no peculiar
              reasons for doubting her profession of faith in Christ. And
              mercifully, she seems mostly comfortable. For all of that, I will say
              that these are things that are comforting. But she is like family to
              me and has been for years now, in fact, myself coming from a family
              that is not particularly close knit, she is like the family member I
              never had. She was never married, and everyone (including her broader
              family - sisters, neices and nephews, etc.) regard me as the son or
              grandson that she never had. In fact, one of them told me that one
              year they considered inviting me to their family reunion, but thought
              maybe not since it would be awkward, me not really knowing any but a
              very few of them. She has been very special and dear to me, and vice
              versa. The thought of another few decades before having means of
              communing with her again on the other side of the veil feels very
              lonely right now. And I keep thinking and wondering about Heaven.
              Many people will be there, and by what means will we meet various
              people: will I be there for some time and finally meet this or that
              person? Or is there some communion existent there whereby we have a
              sensible consciousness of the presence of everyone who is there? How
              do these details fit together? And I am constrained to leave it a
              mystery while remaining here in the flesh.
              I do have to work most of the week, but apart from that, I'm trying
              to make the most of our remaining days together.
              -doom
            • weeping_calvinist
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 24, 2003
                "And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall
                be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be
                any more pain: for the former things are passed away."

                While we are here, we must cry. I cry with you, my friend. Someday,
                I hope to meet your friend, in that world of love.

                Jerry
              • thebishopsdoom
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 25, 2003
                  --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "weeping_calvinist"
                  <raging.calvinist@v...> wrote:
                  > "And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall
                  > be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be
                  > any more pain: for the former things are passed away."
                  > While we are here, we must cry. I cry with you, my friend.
                  Someday,
                  > I hope to meet your friend, in that world of love.
                  >
                  > Jerry

                  Thank you Jer. And thanks for being a friend.
                  It feels like something in me dies with her. I am not without hope,
                  but our separation for the next few decades is right now a very
                  lonely thought. I do not think any death I have experienced has
                  touched me so deeply. Then again, with all due respect to yourself
                  and others, few have ever permeated so deeply into my heart as my
                  (unofficial) "grandma." I sat with her tonight after work. She awoke
                  for a while around 1 am and I spoke to her a bit, of heaven, of
                  Christ, of my love and friendship to her, and of my hope to meet her
                  in Heaven when I pass beyond the veil between heaven and us, and hope
                  to continue our friendship there, without the impediments from our
                  sin nature that get in the way in this world, failing attaining that
                  perfect love to be experienced in the next. She also had some seizure
                  activity, and it appeared to distress her a bit. I comforted her as I
                  could. I also told her I would stay with her til after she fell
                  asleep, and would return in the morning and Lord willing see her -
                  and if something happened before then, that I would see her in a few
                  decades. I left around 1:30 when she seemed to be asleep
                  again. This afternoon before I went to work, I had noted that she
                  seems to have lost interest in eating and drinking, though she used
                  to eat well almost every meal. I expect she won't be around much
                  longer. :( Some people don't want to be there when a loved one goes,
                  others do. I find I would very much like to be there for her
                  homecoming, but of course, I do not know whether the Lord would grant
                  me that or not. My first days off without her will be difficult.
                  Throughout most of the past 6 or 7 years, I visited her at least
                  once, sometimes twice a week: it was a highlight of my week to read
                  to her, to take her for walks, to just sit and enjoy each other's
                  company. Years ago they used to say that we were just like peanut
                  butter and jelly. After last time she got sick, I wasn't sure if
                  she'd be well to take outside anymore, so I started playing Psalms
                  for her. She seemed to enjoy the music. I just enjoyed doing what I
                  could to make her days more pleasant, and to draw her thoughts
                  towards our Redeemer. There will be a big hole in my heart, Jer. :(
                  -doom :(
                • thebishopsdoom
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 25, 2003
                    To add injury to pain - I need prayer - I spent so much time sitting
                    down this week at my friend's bedside, and I don't usually sit so
                    long (right now I'm on my knees). My back felt a little sore today
                    from all that sitting over a week, and the lack of sleep and appetite
                    probably hasn't helped. By the time I went in to work, and I reported
                    to the supervisor (as absolutely required) that I had a sore back and
                    needed to be careful working today. That's standard policy. They just
                    thanked me for telling them, and that was about it - just make sure
                    I'm careful. I was using a back brace, and trying to avoid as much
                    back work as possible. Things were ok, but then a resident that's not
                    to be up by themselves got off their chair - I was the only one in
                    the area. I tried to tell them to sit down, and they got my arm and
                    either pulled or else lost their footing for a brief moment, and my
                    bachache turned bad enough that I had to call the supervisor and tell
                    her my back is now worse. I got sent home. I have tommorow off, so I
                    plan to lay down all day, except maybe slight breaks for bathroom
                    etc. Hopefully, I'll be ok enough to stop to see my friend by the
                    night. But I have to be VERY careful the next week. I am sorer than I
                    first realized. :(
                    Please pray for me. If I can't make it over the weekend they may make
                    me see a doctor before coming back to work, and if the doctor
                    says "light duty" - they don't have that for injuries outside of
                    work - and workman's comp would surely say that I was already injured
                    because I had reported soreness in my back before this lady yanked on
                    me. With no health insurance and no workman's comp, that could be
                    bad. Please pray for me! A bad enough back injury that you are
                    required to see the doctor, means following doctor'$ $trict order$ -
                    it can often put someone out of work for 6 week$ - plus be required
                    to go thru all $ort$ of phy$ical therapy under the $upervi$ion of a
                    doctor at a ho$pital - before being given medical permi$$ion to work
                    again, and can be required to continue the therapy for month$
                    afterward$ - all out of pocket. I've seen it before - though in those
                    cases, there was usually a spouse working as well to help deal with
                    the financial aspects. :(
                    Thank you so much for your prayers for me and my friend, and this new
                    prayer request.
                    -doom :(
                  • thebishopsdoom
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 26, 2003
                      I hope I will not be too burdensome to give an update. I know this
                      technically isn't a prayer forum per se, and I don't want to be the
                      party crasher to dump all of this on everyone, but I did want a quick
                      follow up message for any who are praying, before I return to bedrest.
                      I laid down for 24 hours, got up to go buy Ibuprofen, and to update
                      the nursing supervisor on my back (pulled a quick visit with my
                      friend too, with much apologies to her that I am not able to spend
                      the time with her that I had expected, and how horrible I feel not
                      being able to be there with her).
                      1. It looks like it's almost guaranteed that I will not be working
                      this weekend. My back feels better - but not enough better yet. Also
                      will have to stay home for worship this weekend, to remain on bedrest.
                      2. The RN has told me if I'm not well enough to come in Saturday, I
                      really should set up an appointment with the doctor they use for
                      determining whether an employee is injured enough that they need
                      restricted duty or a leave of absence, and giving his recommendations
                      to the home. I'm advised to call tommorow to set up an appointment. I
                      also have to call in work to confirm that my back is not feeling
                      sufficiently better to go right back to work as had been scheduled on
                      the current schedule (and we're already down to only 2 regulars on my
                      shift my floor - so I'm sure my coworker will love that, being the
                      only person that knows the floor, though some agency workers of
                      course are really good regardless, so it might be alright).
                      3. I'm at that point at the doctor's mercy. Whatever he prescribes
                      will have to be followed, and I may require a followup sometime later
                      to confirm me back to regular work if he puts me on either a
                      restiction or a leave of absence. It also means if he says bedrest, I
                      will not be allowed to go ANYWHERE, including to see my sick friend
                      (I informed them of that today to let them know I wasn't abandoning
                      them if I could not come in, and how terrible I feel about it, and
                      that if they felt lonely, that they should know they are on my mind
                      and in my heart, and that the Lord remains with them - I am thankful
                      that He is with both of us, so though we are not together, we are
                      bonded together by a common fellowship with His Spirit), to the
                      grocery store, nowhere. If I were to fail to follow instructions, it
                      could cause problems with work for failing to follow doctor's orders.
                      4. With everything that has been going on, I'm depressed, now I'm
                      scared, and I'm feeling drained.
                      My prayer is HELP, LORD!!!
                      - doom, "it's the way I feel"
                    • thebishopsdoom
                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 27, 2003
                        At the risk of hogging the club, I wanted to update because the news
                        is, well, at least a little better.
                        The doctor's office was closed today, so I checked with work whether
                        I was supposed to show up or not show up until I saw the doctor. They
                        said that decision would be up to me, or even if I see the doctor. It
                        was just recommended, but not absolutely required unless I am certain
                        that I will have to stay off work for several days (in which case I'd
                        need a medical excuse to keep from getting a warning at work).
                        If I don't come to the nursing home today to work, their
                        recommendation to me was that having not seen the doctor, but feeling
                        improved, though still having stiffness / discomfort, they would like
                        me to stay on bedrest until tomorrow afternoon, and then to get up
                        and give it a try coming in, just being careful to be easy on my back
                        when I go in (using mechanical lifts for my transfers, being careful
                        about leaning over, etc. - and laying down during break is still
                        better than sitting which gets uncomfortable after a while still) and
                        see how that goes (unless I'm no better tomorrow afternoon, in which
                        case they'd want me to consider calling off, though thus far my back
                        has been improving by the day from staying on bedrest for most of the
                        day). Then I have the next day off, I can see how my back is still
                        feeling and see whether a doctor is going to be required. That means
                        it seems to be less serious than I had feared.
                        As for my back - I'm feeling better today than yesterday, just not
                        100% better.
                        I'm taking ibuprofen and have been using a heating pad on and off.
                        I'm avoiding leaning and sitting (as much as possible- I'm still
                        resorting to kneeling at the computer to write out this email) still
                        today. There is no sharp pain anymore, just a discomfort and a
                        stiffness, mainly when I am moving - I feel pretty good lying down -
                        certainly better than even yesterday - but like I said, it is not
                        quite enough improved yet. But it does look like I'll be back in the
                        swing of things soon, though I'll want to be careful how I use my
                        back maybe the next week or so, not necessarily putting as much on it
                        as I normally would, and being extra careful about my positioning.
                        Still could use prayer for my back. Thanks for your prayers. I did
                        get a friendly phone call from a good friend yesterday that lifted my
                        spirits a bit, too. Things are at least moving towards a better
                        direction, but at present, you are more than welcome to keep praying
                        for me.
                        -doom