recitation/responsive reading in worship

  • Dan Fraas
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 25, 2003
      Dear friends,

      Recently while talking on the phone to a friend who is a Reformed
      Presbyterian minister, he asked me for help in answering some
      questions that someone raised in the congregation. This person
      raised questions concerning the following practices in corporate
      worship:

      1. recitation (in unison) of the Ten Commandments
      2. praying from a pre-written form of prayer
      3. responsive Psalm-reading (The minister reads a verse and then the
      congregation reads the following verse, etc.)

      If you have any informed opinion or historical sources to cite on the
      questions, whether yea or nay, I'd appreciate if you'd share them.
      Especially helpful would be quotes from Calvin, Knox, the early
      Church of Scotland, the Westminster divines, or historical Reformed
      Presbyterian (covenanter) sources. Thank you and God bless.

      Riley