Re: [Covenanted Reformation] What happens when you sin?

  • kim White
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 14, 2003
      Thanks for the reply. So, we can hinder God like the
      water spigot. Just tune him out like when the kids
      turn the radio on real loud.
      I think I take to much for granted back and forth
      into the relationship and don't think about the time
      when I am out sinning. Of course, I have justified it
      with teeny tiny sins.
      Kim

      http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
    • Martin
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 14, 2003
        I don't think it's a hindering of God per se. God is not required to
        chastise believers according to the full extent of punishment their sin
        deserves, nor does he -- Christ having borne the just and full wrath of God
        in their stead. God is often merciful and longsuffering towards his
        children, even in his chastisement of them.

        I think John Owen touches on this topic in his work on the mortification of
        sin in believers, I also believe his exposition of Psalm 130 does as well.
        http://www.reformed.org/books/owen/vol6/

        Martin

        > Thanks for the reply. So, we can hinder God like the
        > water spigot. Just tune him out like when the kids
        > turn the radio on real loud.
        > I think I take to much for granted back and forth
        > into the relationship and don't think about the time
        > when I am out sinning. Of course, I have justified it
        > with teeny tiny sins.
        > Kim

        > --- gmw <raging.calvinist@...> wrote:
        > > When a Christian sins, I think it's more like your
        > > explanation #2, but I think it's more like getting a
        > > whipping than getting a time out. Consider,
        > >
        > > Psalm 89:30-34:
        > >
        > > "If his children forsake my law, and walk not in my
        > > judgments; If they break my statutes, and keep not
        > > my commandments; Then will I visit their
        > > transgression with the rod, and their iniquity with
        > > stripes. Nevertheless my lovingkindness will I not
        > > utterly take from him, nor suffer my faithfulness to
        > > fail. My covenant will I not break, nor alter the
        > > thing that is gone out of my lips."
        > >
        > > I can see the "time out" thing though, especially
        > > when considering the idea that our prayers can be
        > > hindered when we are in sin.
        > >
        > > gmw.

      • kim White
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 15, 2003
          Dear Martin,

          Thank you for the link if I have any questions after
          I read it I will let you know.
          Kim

          http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com