Re: [Covenanted Reformation] What happens when you sin?

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 14, 2003
      When a Christian sins, I think it's more like your explanation #2, but I think it's more like getting a whipping than getting a time out.  Consider,

      Psalm 89:30-34:

      "If his children forsake my law, and walk not in my judgments; If they break my statutes, and keep not my commandments; Then will I visit their transgression with the rod, and their iniquity with stripes.  Nevertheless my lovingkindness will I not utterly take from him, nor suffer my faithfulness to fail.  My covenant will I not break, nor alter the thing that is gone out of my lips."

      I can see the "time out" thing though, especially when considering the idea that our prayers can be hindered when we are in sin.

      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 14, 2003
        Thanks for the reply. So, we can hinder God like the
        water spigot. Just tune him out like when the kids
        turn the radio on real loud.
        I think I take to much for granted back and forth
        into the relationship and don't think about the time
        when I am out sinning. Of course, I have justified it
        with teeny tiny sins.
        Kim

        http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
      • Martin
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 14, 2003
          I don't think it's a hindering of God per se. God is not required to
          chastise believers according to the full extent of punishment their sin
          deserves, nor does he -- Christ having borne the just and full wrath of God
          in their stead. God is often merciful and longsuffering towards his
          children, even in his chastisement of them.

          I think John Owen touches on this topic in his work on the mortification of
          sin in believers, I also believe his exposition of Psalm 130 does as well.
          http://www.reformed.org/books/owen/vol6/

          Martin

          > Thanks for the reply. So, we can hinder God like the
          > water spigot. Just tune him out like when the kids
          > turn the radio on real loud.
          > I think I take to much for granted back and forth
          > into the relationship and don't think about the time
          > when I am out sinning. Of course, I have justified it
          > with teeny tiny sins.
          > Kim

          > --- gmw <raging.calvinist@...> wrote:
          > > When a Christian sins, I think it's more like your
          > > explanation #2, but I think it's more like getting a
          > > whipping than getting a time out. Consider,
          > >
          > > Psalm 89:30-34:
          > >
          > > "If his children forsake my law, and walk not in my
          > > judgments; If they break my statutes, and keep not
          > > my commandments; Then will I visit their
          > > transgression with the rod, and their iniquity with
          > > stripes. Nevertheless my lovingkindness will I not
          > > utterly take from him, nor suffer my faithfulness to
          > > fail. My covenant will I not break, nor alter the
          > > thing that is gone out of my lips."
          > >
          > > I can see the "time out" thing though, especially
          > > when considering the idea that our prayers can be
          > > hindered when we are in sin.
          > >
          > > gmw.

        • kim White
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 15, 2003
            Dear Martin,

            Thank you for the link if I have any questions after
            I read it I will let you know.
            Kim

            http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com