Re: Calvin's Corner

  • weeping_calvinist
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 6, 2003
      Calvin is a good choice for all those reasons... and for one more
      reason...

      He wrote a PRODIGIOUS amount of material, and so we can post a
      snippet every day or two, and continue like that for a good long time
      without repeating ourselves. The Institutes of the Christian
      Religion deserves all the accolades it receives, but it is a shame
      that so many other things he wrote end up taking a back seat. (I
      recall being in a discussion with someone who actually referred to
      himself as "the resident Calvin expert," but admittedly only really
      read the Institutes (which I admit, is more than most people read,
      but that hardly makes one an expert). His commentaries are so rich
      with truth, and they strike that balance of exegesis and pastoral
      devotion so well (not to mention his letters and treatises).

      Anyway, thanks for the pat on the back, brother. I guess it's just
      my way of "getting the word out." I hope some will find it
      beneficial.

      gmw.

      --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, thebishopsdoom
      <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > I just wanted to thank our club / "now a group" moderator Weeping
      for
      > his Calvin's Corner group:
      > I haven't posted but a few times there (been busy lately reading
      some
      > other authors) but find it a nice place to stop in for some daily
      > wisdom, often towards the begining or end of the day (I have been
      > reading even though not posting). John Calvin seems a great choice
      > inasfar as he tends to be Biblical, careful in handling his texts,
      > and easy to read - plus being an outstanding leader in the
      > Reformation of the Western Church (and purged of certain errors
      that
      > had crept into the churches that had infected various otherwise
      > outstanding authors before him), he is well known, and many will
      find
      > him worth the read. Although there aren't a whole lot of members
      > there, I do hope there are many more lurking about the group to
      check
      > out some of the posts. There's some great stuff. Kudos for Weepy!
      > Somebody give the man a scooby snack! It was a great idea.
      > -thebishopsdoom
    • weeping_calvinist
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 21, 2003
        Calvin speaks... no one else... just Calvin... at Calvin's Corner.

      • thebishopsdoom
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 21, 2003
          --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "weeping_calvinist"
          <raging.calvinist@v...> wrote:

          > Calvin speaks... no one else... just Calvin... at Calvin's Corner.

          Again GooMWah, it is my hope (and inkling) that more people are
          lurking there than are members. Great stuff.
          FWIW,
          http://makeashorterlink.com/?W2D231B46
          -doom
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 12, 2004
            To members new and old (!),

            You are invited to check out my other group, Calvin's Corner.

            It's a place to share Calvin quotes, snippets, devotional sized
            portions, of John Calvin's writings. No discussion, no arguing, no
            debates, just John Calvin speaking for himself.

            A sample offering:

            ---

            This truth ought to be carefully contemplated by us. Whenever we see
            that the Church of God, though not possessing any great power, is yet
            diminished daily, yea, and becomes, so to speak, like a naked land,
            without any defenses, it so happens, in order that the protection of
            God may be alone sufficient for us, and that he may wholly tear away
            from our hearts all haughtiness and pride, and dissipate all those
            vain confidences by which we not only obscure the glory of God, but,
            as far as we can, entirely cover it over. In short, as there is
            nothing better for us than to be preserved by the hand of God, we
            ought to bear patiently the removal of all those impediments which
            close up the way against God, and, in a manner, keep off his hand
            from us, when he is ready to extend it for the purpose of delivering
            us. For when our minds are inflated with foolish self-confidence,
            we neglect God; and thus a wall intervenes, which prevents him to
            help us.

            Who would not wish, seeing himself in extreme danger and help not far
            distant, that an intercepting wall should immediately fall down? Thus
            God is near at hand, as he has promised; but there are many walls and
            many obstacles, from the ruin of which, if we would be safe, we must
            desire and seek, that God may find an open and free way, in order
            that he may be able to afford us aid.

            -- Commentary upon Micah 5:11.

            ---