Calvin's Corner

  • thebishopsdoom
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 5, 2003
      I just wanted to thank our club / "now a group" moderator Weeping for
      his Calvin's Corner group:
      I haven't posted but a few times there (been busy lately reading some
      other authors) but find it a nice place to stop in for some daily
      wisdom, often towards the begining or end of the day (I have been
      reading even though not posting). John Calvin seems a great choice
      inasfar as he tends to be Biblical, careful in handling his texts,
      and easy to read - plus being an outstanding leader in the
      Reformation of the Western Church (and purged of certain errors that
      had crept into the churches that had infected various otherwise
      outstanding authors before him), he is well known, and many will find
      him worth the read. Although there aren't a whole lot of members
      there, I do hope there are many more lurking about the group to check
      out some of the posts. There's some great stuff. Kudos for Weepy!
      Somebody give the man a scooby snack! It was a great idea.
      -thebishopsdoom
    • weeping_calvinist
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 6, 2003
        Calvin is a good choice for all those reasons... and for one more
        reason...

        He wrote a PRODIGIOUS amount of material, and so we can post a
        snippet every day or two, and continue like that for a good long time
        without repeating ourselves. The Institutes of the Christian
        Religion deserves all the accolades it receives, but it is a shame
        that so many other things he wrote end up taking a back seat. (I
        recall being in a discussion with someone who actually referred to
        himself as "the resident Calvin expert," but admittedly only really
        read the Institutes (which I admit, is more than most people read,
        but that hardly makes one an expert). His commentaries are so rich
        with truth, and they strike that balance of exegesis and pastoral
        devotion so well (not to mention his letters and treatises).

        Anyway, thanks for the pat on the back, brother. I guess it's just
        my way of "getting the word out." I hope some will find it
        beneficial.

        gmw.

        --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, thebishopsdoom
        <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > I just wanted to thank our club / "now a group" moderator Weeping
        for
        > his Calvin's Corner group:
        > I haven't posted but a few times there (been busy lately reading
        some
        > other authors) but find it a nice place to stop in for some daily
        > wisdom, often towards the begining or end of the day (I have been
        > reading even though not posting). John Calvin seems a great choice
        > inasfar as he tends to be Biblical, careful in handling his texts,
        > and easy to read - plus being an outstanding leader in the
        > Reformation of the Western Church (and purged of certain errors
        that
        > had crept into the churches that had infected various otherwise
        > outstanding authors before him), he is well known, and many will
        find
        > him worth the read. Although there aren't a whole lot of members
        > there, I do hope there are many more lurking about the group to
        check
        > out some of the posts. There's some great stuff. Kudos for Weepy!
        > Somebody give the man a scooby snack! It was a great idea.
        > -thebishopsdoom
      • weeping_calvinist
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 21, 2003
          Calvin speaks... no one else... just Calvin... at Calvin's Corner.

        • thebishopsdoom
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 21, 2003
            --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "weeping_calvinist"
            <raging.calvinist@v...> wrote:

            > Calvin speaks... no one else... just Calvin... at Calvin's Corner.

            Again GooMWah, it is my hope (and inkling) that more people are
            lurking there than are members. Great stuff.
            FWIW,
            http://makeashorterlink.com/?W2D231B46
            -doom
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 12, 2004
              To members new and old (!),

              You are invited to check out my other group, Calvin's Corner.

              It's a place to share Calvin quotes, snippets, devotional sized
              portions, of John Calvin's writings. No discussion, no arguing, no
              debates, just John Calvin speaking for himself.

              A sample offering:

              ---

              This truth ought to be carefully contemplated by us. Whenever we see
              that the Church of God, though not possessing any great power, is yet
              diminished daily, yea, and becomes, so to speak, like a naked land,
              without any defenses, it so happens, in order that the protection of
              God may be alone sufficient for us, and that he may wholly tear away
              from our hearts all haughtiness and pride, and dissipate all those
              vain confidences by which we not only obscure the glory of God, but,
              as far as we can, entirely cover it over. In short, as there is
              nothing better for us than to be preserved by the hand of God, we
              ought to bear patiently the removal of all those impediments which
              close up the way against God, and, in a manner, keep off his hand
              from us, when he is ready to extend it for the purpose of delivering
              us. For when our minds are inflated with foolish self-confidence,
              we neglect God; and thus a wall intervenes, which prevents him to
              help us.

              Who would not wish, seeing himself in extreme danger and help not far
              distant, that an intercepting wall should immediately fall down? Thus
              God is near at hand, as he has promised; but there are many walls and
              many obstacles, from the ruin of which, if we would be safe, we must
              desire and seek, that God may find an open and free way, in order
              that he may be able to afford us aid.

              -- Commentary upon Micah 5:11.

              ---