catechism-books

  • Dan Fraas
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 5 7:44 AM
      Does anyone know of any good Bible catechism-books? I'm not looking
      for catechism books in systematic theology, mind you, I've got a
      stack of those (confessional catechism books). What I'm looking for
      are some lessons in question and answer format on the Old Testament,
      Gospels, Acts, etc. I just read a wonderful book by Donald Van Dyken
      called "Rediscovering Catechism." The first think I learned is that
      catechizing is much more than memorizing confessional formulas like
      the Westminster Shorter or Heidelberg. Catechism is a method of
      teaching by asking questions, which allows the student to reach the
      proper conclusion himself without having it spelled-out, and allows
      the teacher to probe the student's depth of knowledge.

      Van Dyken maintains that covenant children ought to be catechized in
      the Bible first and then later in the confession(s) of the church,
      (especially with use of the Westminster or Heidelberg catechism-
      books, for example.) This makes sense to me for covenant children,
      but he doesn't address new adult believers. Do you have any thoughts
      on how to go about catechizing an adult? Should one catechize the
      Bible and the systematic confessions at the same time, the Bible
      first, or the confessions first, etc. ? Also, please let me know if
      you have suggestions for a source of good Bible catechism
      lessons.

      For Christ's Crown and Covenant!

      Riley
    • Thomas Britton
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 5 8:25 PM
        Hi,

        Yes, In the last century, the Presbyterian Board of Education published 'em. I found one at a used book shop, and gave it to a friend. I would contact Dr. David Lachman at www.Davidlachman.com  to get at least the titles to search at Bookfinder.com, or at best he has some available for sale.

        Tom

        Dan Fraas <fraasrd@...> wrote:
[...]

        Do you Yahoo!?
      • christ_saves_sinners
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 6 2:32 PM
          Re: Bible catechism books.

          Parnell McCarter has published a Bible catechism. It doesn't contain
          every book of the Bible, but it is a hefty work, what has been done,
          and it is mainly directed towards children.

          Old Testament: http://www.puritans.net/curriculum/biblesurveyot.pdf
          New Testament: http://www.puritans.net/curriculum/biblesurveynt.pdf

          you might not agree with everything, obviously, but there is a great
          start.

          On a side note, this is a very interesting help for memorization of
          the Shorter Catechism and the Scripture proofs. Just click on the
          catechism question. The site is dedicated to free classical
          Christian education.

          http://www.classicalfree.org/tgc_doc1.asp?essay=1

          enjoy,
          -Shawn Anderson
          Albany CRPC
        • Dan Fraas
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 7 7:24 AM
            Thanks Shawn,

            I haven't found anything I disagree with so far. By the way, who is
            Parnell McCarter?

            Riley