A word to the wise

  • Thomas Britton
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 15 6:24 AM

      I have begun to be grieved at my failure to walk answerably to the truth. I ran across this the other day & thought it was good food for thought. :

      A FAIR AND IMPARTIAL TESTIMONY

      By JOHN WILLISON,

      Minister of the Gospel at Dundee, Scotland

       From the transcribers note :"[A] s Mr. Willison recounts the sins of the Church, he not only exposes those who promoted error, but also demonstrates that those who stood for truth had a tendency to sin in a way peculiar to individuals who strive to maintain purity in doctrine. The reader may note that the parallels between the Church of Scotland then and the Reformed and Presbyterian Churches of today seem strikingly similar.  There is nothing new under the sun. "

      Here are some of the causes for fasting mentioned:

      "barrenness under [the gospel]; want ... of love and charity towards men; the most part being more ready to censure the sins of others, than to re­pent of their own." p.58

      Mom always said, "A word to the wise is sufficient." Seems to me Calvin held the truth had to be drummed into our ears. Either way, forewarned is forearmed.

      Tom

      Do you Yahoo!?