Re: [Covenanted Reformation] Question for Covenanters

  • weeping_calvinist
    Message 1 of 31 , Jul 3, 2003
      Some helpful links explaining the Covenants (National and Solemn
      League), along with some answers to common objections to them:

      The Exhortation of the Westminster Assembly to Swear the Covenant:
      http://www.truecovenanter.com/covenants/candcexhortwestassembly.html

      Observations on the Public Covenants by Archibald Mason:
      http://www.truecovenanter.com/covenants/mason_covenants.html

      HEPHZIBAH BEULAH (on the Covenants and their binding nature) by J.W.
      Shaw:
      http://www.truecovenanter.com/covenants/shaw_hephzibah_beulah.html

      Samuel Rutherfurd's Testimony to the Covenanted Reformation:
      http://www.truecovenanter.com/rutherford/rutherfurd_testimony.html

      Samuel B. Wylie's Discourse on Covenant Obligations:
      http://www.covenanter.org/Wylie/obligationofcovenants.htm

      Alexander Hislop on the Scriptural Principles of the Solemn League
      and Covenant:
      http://www.covenanter.org/Covenanting/hisloponsolemnleague.htm

      Sections on Covenanting from William Robert's Catechism:
      http://www.swrb.com/newslett/actualnls/PresCatCov.htm and
      http://www.swrb.com/newslett/actualnls/CovMart.htm

      The Permanence of Covenant Obligation:
      http://www.swrb.com/newslett/actualnls/PermCovObl.htm

      Many of the questions/objections brought up by Jozinsky have been
      dealt with long ago, in the works linked to above. Please take the
      time to read through at least some of it if you are serious about
      inquiring into the nature and obligations of the Covenants of our
      Reformed and Presbyterian forefathers.

      "It was reported that yesterday the people who had not yet made their
      oath to the reformation were asked to do so, street by street; whilst
      many came, many others did not do so. No one came from the German
      quarter. It was decided that they should be commanded to leave the
      city if they did not wish to swear to the reformation" (Register of
      the Council of 24 in Geneva, 12 November 1537).

      gmw.
    • Dan Fraas
      Message 31 of 31 , Jul 11, 2003
        "By the way, I am a US citizen, and do not believe I am bound to the
        US Constitution."

        Shawn,

        Only the federal government was originally bound by the
        Constitution. Today it is treated as if it also binds all state,
        county, and munincipal governments as well. It still does not bind
        individuals. Otherwise you'd be required to tolerate free speech and
        the free excercise of religion in your own house! The Constitution
        is not a covenant that binds individuals, but a foundational law that
        binds the government.

        Riley
        christ_saves_sinners <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Roche
        > <tertullianus_2000@y...> wrote:
        > > Various honest covenanter questions:
        > >
        > > 1) Can the SL&C contain error? If it can, who has the
        > > authority to recognize that error, and revise the
        > > covenant, releasing those bound by that covenant from
        > > continued adherence to those aspects now recognized as
        > > false?
        > >
        > > 2) Can the President of the USA, and/or the Congress
        > > of the USA, bind Americans today and their posterity
        > > with a new covenant? If not, why not?
        >
        > I agreed with all "gwm" said, and would like to add, has not the US
        > already bound its citizens and their posterity to a Covenant? We
        are
        > bound, according to the US magistrate, to uphold the US
        Constitution