Re: [Covenanted Reformation] Question for Covenanters

  • weeping_calvinist
    Message 1 of 31 , Jul 3, 2003
      Patrick,

      I'm sorry, but I cannot help you much with this. I've done very
      little research into the Irish side of things. I do notice that your
      question seems to presuppose that in order for something to be
      lawfully done in Ireland, representation at Parliament or at the
      Assembly was necessary. I'm not sure the laws of the day presupposed
      the same thing you're presupposing now. I did happen upon this link
      from an Irish Reformed Presbyterian page:

      http://www.loughbrickland.org/Articles/slc.shtml

      Scan thru it, there is a section on the Covenant being sworn by the
      Irish people (though perhaps not the caliber of people you may be
      looking for... at any rate, you may find it interesting).

      gmw.

      --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, seamrog1935

      covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "weeping_calvinist"
      > <raging.calvinist@v...> wrote:
      > > > Would anyone else care to offer an answer to my question below.
      > > > Thanks in advance.
      > >
      > > You're welcome.
      > >
      > > The Covenant mentioned is the Solemn League and Covenant, which
      can
      > > be read here: http://www.truecovenanter.com/slcov.htm . In
      short,
      > > it binds the Reformed Churches in England, Ireland, and Scotland,
      > > uniformity in Religion as outlined in the Westminster Standards,
      > > opposition to all things contrary thereunto, and to support and
      > > defend of the lawful magistrate and one another.
      > >
      > > And the "We" refers to those to whom the Covenant
      pertained/pertain:

      > > "We, noblemen, barons, knights, gentlemen, citizens, burgesses,
      > > ministers of the Gospel, and commons of all sorts, in the
      kingdoms
      > of
      > > Scotland, England, and Ireland....we, and our posterity after
      > us...."
      > >
      > > Covenanters take the above to include all "daughter nations" of
      > > England and all Churches which descend from the Presbyterian
      Church
      > > of Scotland (particularly).
      > >
      > > Covenanters also affirm an obligation to the Scottish National
      > > Covenant: http://www.truecovenanter.com/natcov.htm
      > >
      > > I hope you find this helpful.
      > >
      > > gmw.
    • Dan Fraas
      Message 31 of 31 , Jul 11, 2003
        "By the way, I am a US citizen, and do not believe I am bound to the
        US Constitution."

        Shawn,

        Only the federal government was originally bound by the
        Constitution. Today it is treated as if it also binds all state,
        county, and munincipal governments as well. It still does not bind
        individuals. Otherwise you'd be required to tolerate free speech and
        the free excercise of religion in your own house! The Constitution
        is not a covenant that binds individuals, but a foundational law that
        binds the government.

        Riley
        christ_saves_sinners <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Roche
        > <tertullianus_2000@y...> wrote:
        > > Various honest covenanter questions:
        > >
        > > 1) Can the SL&C contain error? If it can, who has the
        > > authority to recognize that error, and revise the
        > > covenant, releasing those bound by that covenant from
        > > continued adherence to those aspects now recognized as
        > > false?
        > >
        > > 2) Can the President of the USA, and/or the Congress
        > > of the USA, bind Americans today and their posterity
        > > with a new covenant? If not, why not?
        >
        > I agreed with all "gwm" said, and would like to add, has not the US
        > already bound its citizens and their posterity to a Covenant? We
        are
        > bound, according to the US magistrate, to uphold the US
        Constitution