Re: [Covenanted Reformation] Question for Covenanters

  • seamrog1935
    Message 1 of 31 , Jul 2, 2003
      Who were the Commisioners or representatives from Ireland at the
      Assembly? I can see Ireland being bound since the 1800's because of
      its union with Britain in the 1800's. However, I have yet to find a
      list of lawful representatives from Ireland so that Ireland was bound
      since the 1600's. Where can I find a list of lawful
      representatives? Thanks.

      Whit

      --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "weeping_calvinist"
      <raging.calvinist@v...> wrote:
      > > Would anyone else care to offer an answer to my question below.
      > > Thanks in advance.
      >
      > You're welcome.
      >
      > The Covenant mentioned is the Solemn League and Covenant, which can
      > be read here: http://www.truecovenanter.com/slcov.htm . In short,
      > it binds the Reformed Churches in England, Ireland, and Scotland,
      > uniformity in Religion as outlined in the Westminster Standards, to
      > opposition to all things contrary thereunto, and to support and
      > defend of the lawful magistrate and one another.
      >
      > And the "We" refers to those to whom the Covenant pertained/pertain:
      >
      > "We, noblemen, barons, knights, gentlemen, citizens, burgesses,
      > ministers of the Gospel, and commons of all sorts, in the kingdoms
      of
      > Scotland, England, and Ireland....we, and our posterity after
      us...."

      > Covenanters take the above to include all "daughter nations" of
      > England and all Churches which descend from the Presbyterian Church
      > of Scotland (particularly).
      >
      > Covenanters also affirm an obligation to the Scottish National
      > Covenant: http://www.truecovenanter.com/natcov.htm
      >
      > I hope you find this helpful.
      >
      > gmw.
    • Dan Fraas
      Message 31 of 31 , Jul 11, 2003
        "By the way, I am a US citizen, and do not believe I am bound to the
        US Constitution."

        Shawn,

        Only the federal government was originally bound by the
        Constitution. Today it is treated as if it also binds all state,
        county, and munincipal governments as well. It still does not bind
        individuals. Otherwise you'd be required to tolerate free speech and
        the free excercise of religion in your own house! The Constitution
        is not a covenant that binds individuals, but a foundational law that
        binds the government.

        Riley
        christ_saves_sinners <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Roche
        > <tertullianus_2000@y...> wrote:
        > > Various honest covenanter questions:
        > >
        > > 1) Can the SL&C contain error? If it can, who has the
        > > authority to recognize that error, and revise the
        > > covenant, releasing those bound by that covenant from
        > > continued adherence to those aspects now recognized as
        > > false?
        > >
        > > 2) Can the President of the USA, and/or the Congress
        > > of the USA, bind Americans today and their posterity
        > > with a new covenant? If not, why not?
        >
        > I agreed with all "gwm" said, and would like to add, has not the US
        > already bound its citizens and their posterity to a Covenant? We
        are
        > bound, according to the US magistrate, to uphold the US
        Constitution