Re: [Covenanted Reformation] Question for Covenanters

  • Dan Fraas
    Message 1 of 31 , Jul 2, 2003
      "The ecclesiastical and national posterity of those who swore the
      Solemn
      > League and Covenant."

      Martin,

      Would you also include all natural posterity of the original
      covenanters? That is, posterity according to the flesh. For
      example, a Reformed Dutchman has no ecclesiastical or national
      connection to the SL&C, but may have an English great-grandmother,
      etc.

      Riley
    • Dan Fraas
      Message 31 of 31 , Jul 11, 2003
        "By the way, I am a US citizen, and do not believe I am bound to the
        US Constitution."

        Shawn,

        Only the federal government was originally bound by the
        Constitution. Today it is treated as if it also binds all state,
        county, and munincipal governments as well. It still does not bind
        individuals. Otherwise you'd be required to tolerate free speech and
        the free excercise of religion in your own house! The Constitution
        is not a covenant that binds individuals, but a foundational law that
        binds the government.

        Riley
        christ_saves_sinners <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Roche
        > <tertullianus_2000@y...> wrote:
        > > Various honest covenanter questions:
        > >
        > > 1) Can the SL&C contain error? If it can, who has the
        > > authority to recognize that error, and revise the
        > > covenant, releasing those bound by that covenant from
        > > continued adherence to those aspects now recognized as
        > > false?
        > >
        > > 2) Can the President of the USA, and/or the Congress
        > > of the USA, bind Americans today and their posterity
        > > with a new covenant? If not, why not?
        >
        > I agreed with all "gwm" said, and would like to add, has not the US
        > already bound its citizens and their posterity to a Covenant? We
        are
        > bound, according to the US magistrate, to uphold the US
        Constitution