Re: [Covenanted Reformation] Uncomprimising Christians

  • Darren Harr
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 1 12:38 AM
      Hi Peter. my name is Darren Harr and I live in North Dakota.  What you define as "hardliners" we refer to as faithfulness to the word of God.  I am a member of the Reformed Presbytery of North America and yes we sincerely uphold the WCF.  I am glad to see you believe in keeping the Sabbath. You would do yourself a great deal of good if you read the material as to why we believe the pope is the anti-Christ. I believe you will conclude as I have, along with other nations that concluded the same thing.  So to answer your question yes we believe the pope is most definitely the anti-Christ.

      eter <pjgray@...> wrote:
      WOW. You guys must be real hardliners. From my limited experience it
      seems like most "reformed" circles on the internet are infested with
      Baptists, preterists, and possibly worst of all, Sabbath deniers. I
      haven't had the time to cipher through all the messages but your
      home page definitely gives the impression that you are
      uncompromising adherents to the WCF. Even conservative Presbyterian
      denominations don't believe the Pope is the AntiChrist anymore. Is
      this the consensus here or have I made a fool of myself?

      Do you Yahoo!?
    • thebishopsdoom
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 1 2:38 AM
        --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Peter"
        <pjgray@s...> wrote:
        > WOW. You guys must be real hardliners. From my limited experience
        it
        > seems like most "reformed" circles on the internet are infested
        with
        > Baptists, preterists, and possibly worst of all, Sabbath deniers. I
        > haven't had the time to cipher through all the messages but your
        > home page definitely gives the impression that you are
        > uncompromising adherents to the WCF. Even conservative Presbyterian
        > denominations don't believe the Pope is the AntiChrist anymore. Is
        > this the consensus here or have I made a fool of myself?

        This club (silly, nostalgic me... I mean "group") is a mix of
        different calvinistic people (and we've had a few non-calvinistic as
        well), like one might expect from any other group of a similar nature
        on the internet. But the club itself is run by a covenanter, and has
        a focus geared towards the covenanters. The covenanters are those
        known also as Reformed Presbyterians, who rejected the settlement of
        the Church of Scotland under the authority of William
        of Orange at the time of the "Glorious Revolution" as it was regarded
        as establishing the church on new, unwarranted (and partly erastian)
        footing and violated the covenants to God that had been previously
        taken by church and state. They also rejected the changes that were
        adopted when the presbyterians of Scotland and Ireland were forming
        into ecclesiastical courts in North America. Many of us in this club
        identify with the secession from the RPCNA that took place in 1840,
        which declined Synod's jurisdiction due widening breaches in the
        RPCNA from the original RP views, and the inability after 7 years to
        get fair representation before synod to address the matter.
        Notwithstanding a recognition of gifts and talents of Christians
        (some of whom are friends) who happen to be in these other
        denominations, they find that the reasons for dissent from these
        synodical bodies as ecclesiastical bodies still exists, and remain
        outside of official ecclesiastical relations with these denominations
        as ecclesiastical bodies.
        - doom
      • Peter
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 1 10:14 AM
          I'm sorry for being unclear. If its any excuse it was very late for
          me when I posted that message. But, my intentions were praise not
          mockery. "hardliners" was supposed to be an term of affection. I too
          believe the Pope is the Anti-Christ. Again, what I said was meant in
          praise, though I can certainly see how it might be construed
          otherwise. Noticed I criticized preterism, which seems to dominate
          CT churches today. Needless to say, I am NOT a futurist. I thought
          futurism was generally held by disbys & premills. I have read many
          good things on popery. In fact, lately most of my free time has been
          devoted to studying popery. My personal favorite is J.A.
          Wylie's "The Papacy is the AntiChrist". I believe this book is
          considered to be the authoritative vindication of that premise. I
          have a book by Alexander Hislop called the Two Babylons which
          compares Romanism to the pagan worship of Belshazzar. I haven't had
          the chance to read it yet is it good? I have a single volume of
          Puritan sermons about popery. I've listened to innumerable historic
          sermons on the Nicodemians, reforming the church, and romes
          idolatry. Without a doubt the Pope is the man of sin and the RCC the
          mystery of iniquity, I'm as sure of it as I am that Jesus is Christ
          and Protestantism and the OT and apostolic religions proceeding it
          are the mystery of godliness (some what reminiscent of Wylie?).
          What I said, "Even conservative Presbyterian denominations don't
          believe the Pope is the AntiChrist anymore" was said in surprise and
          elation, because I know most conservative American Presbyterian
          denominations don't have a definitive stance on eschatology- PCA,
          OPC. The Reformed Presbytery of North America might, I don't know
          any thing about them. Given you live in N. Dakota I assume they are
          a German (Rhinish Palatinate) Presbytery? Note I am none of these:
          Baptist, preterist, Sabbath denier. I only mentioned them because it
          seems many people of reformed persuasion fall away on these points
          of orthodoxy. Have you noticed that? Im sorry if you misunderstood,
          but how could you take offense to subject entitled "Uncomprimising
          Christians"?

          > Hi Peter. my name is Darren Harr and I live in North Dakota. What
          you define as "hardliners" we refer to as faithfulness to the word
          of God. I am a member of the Reformed Presbytery of North America
          and yes we sincerely uphold the WCF. I am glad to see you believe
          in keeping the Sabbath. You would do yourself a great deal of good
          if you read the material as to why we believe the pope is the anti-
          Christ. I believe you will conclude as I have, along with other
          nations that concluded the same thing. So to answer your question
          yes we believe the pope is most definitely the anti-Christ.

          Excuse me, I confused the covenanters with the leaguers. My grasp on
          history isn't as good as yours but I do know a wee bit about the era
          (Im a fan of Paisley). I thought that the Scots would be friendly
          with King Billy because the Jacobins were papists? The histories of
          the Presbyterian Churches are very confusing. The largest
          Presbyterian church where I live is the PC-USA other main ones are
          the OPC and PCA. I believe that trend continues throughout the
          entire east cost? I think these churches are mainly of British
          descent?

        • s.padbury@tiscali.co.uk
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 2 1:22 AM
            Dear Peter,

            You wrote,

            <<I have a book by Alexander Hislop called the Two Babylons which compares
            Romanism to the pagan worship of Belshazzar. I haven't had the chance to
            read it yet is it good?>>

            Yes, it's very good, and worth reading more than once.

            If you are able, it's also worth you while getting the sermon CD titled
            "True and False Worship" by Mr Roy Mohon, available on the James Begg Society's
            website (http://www.jbeggsoc.org.uk).

            Mr Mohon, my pastor, is a fan of Hislop, and what he says in that sermon
            is in accord with Hislop, and John Knox, and is also what all Covenanters
            on this list would agree with and heartily endorse. (Paisley would agree
            with it all except for where Mr Mohon promotes exclusive Psalmody.) In fact
            I would also recommend you all get it! though some of you may not want to
            as my pastor is not in a Covenanter denomination (though he is in full agreement
            with the Covenanters, and trained at an RP seminary). It may also let you
            know, those who are interested, what sort of preaching is still (though
            rarely) available here in the United Kingdom.

            Yours sincerely,

            Simon Padbury.
          • thebishopsdoom
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 2 1:51 AM
              <pjgray@s...> wrote:
              > I'm sorry for being unclear. If its any excuse it was very late for
              > me when I posted that message. But, my intentions were praise not
              > mockery. "hardliners" was supposed to be an term of affection.
              That's fine. I had expected based on the content of what you wrote
              that this was the intended case, though I also know that people often
              reserve the term for those who tend towards harshness and strict
              views simply for the sake of being strict. Not that this is
              inherently implied in the term, but I think it tends easily to
              conjure up such images.

              > Excuse me, I confused the covenanters with the leaguers.

              Historically, they are the same, but the term "covenanter" became
              reserved for >those
              > known also as Reformed Presbyterians, who rejected the settlement
              of
              > the Church of Scotland under the authority of William
              > of Orange at the time of the "Glorious Revolution" as it was
              > regarded
              > as establishing the church on new, unwarranted (and partly
              erastian)
              > footing and violated the covenants to God that had been previously
              > taken by church and state.
              Those I mentioned previously who broke off from synod of the RPCNA in
              1840 to maintain the original RP positions I think have all either
              died out or merged with the RPCNA since some point after 1994 (but
              don't quote me on that; I only know that I recall having heard
              before - may or may not be true - that at some point after Ethel
              White's death in 1994 things supposedly were pretty well fizzling out
              among the old North Union congregation by either deaths or people
              just going ahead and joining the RPCNA; the church building no longer
              houses a covenanter congregation and I think was sold - as to the
              other members in two other locations in Pennsylvania in the late
              1800s, they appear to have stopped correspondence early in the 20th
              century so far as I can recall and most everyone presumes have long
              since died out; I believe the Ohio schism from the late 19th century
              pretty well died out or ended up in other churches early in the 20th
              century, I am only aware of one posible member who died in the 1940s,
              and I am not absolutely certain whether he was affiliated with the
              Ohio schism or not; I just assume he may have been because he lived
              in Ohio and the North Union people had no apparent recollection of
              the name). To the best of my understanding, in the early 1990s, some
              individuals were moving in the general direction of what that group
              professed (though disagreeing with a move the group had made some
              time before; while testifying against defection in the RPCNA the
              congregation had yet allowed RPCNA elders to come to preach to them,
              one of which elders is said - from what I have heard - to have
              proclaimed to others either that he would see to it that he would use
              this opportunity to "nail the coffin" on this congregation or else he
              may have actually proclaimed that he had nailed the coffin on the
              congregation); some of these foresaid individuals began contacts with
              some past and some then present members of the dying congregation,
              holding some contacts with them, and apparently receiving some
              records, books, and old sermon manuscripts from them, etc. with hopes
              to help keep the testimony alive and press its claims to the present
              and future generations, and the North Union group seemed favourable
              to this possibilty as well. Some lectures and other meetings with
              interested persons were had in western Pennsylvania, I think they
              were held at the North Union church, which at that time was still
              in the possession of the North Union congregation, but my
              recollection could err there. It might be just that there happened to
              be some North Union members at the meetings. Please excuse that my
              scatterbrained mind has forgotten some of these details as they had
              been relayed to me some time ago and I don't have any notes written
              down anywhere. Whatever the case, out of these contacts, the private
              publishing of a magazine for a few years back in the 1990s, at least
              one bookseller, and several websites since the late 1990s, a movement
              began to spawn into the late 1990s which led to what has become the
              formation of a few groups and also probably several dozen
              unaffiliated individuals all of whom would identify themselves with
              the old covenanters.

              >I thought that the Scots would be friendly
              > with King Billy because the Jacobins were papists?
              It is true that the Jacobites favoured the papacy. The fact that
              James was kicked out, laws enacted against anyone coming to the
              throne who would acknowledge the civil authority of the pope (though
              they were required to uphold the ecclesiastical authority of the
              king!), and the general persecution against presbyterians in Scotland
              ended are generally emphasized today, and were in his own day. It
              became habit to sweep several other very crucial matters under the
              carpet and led to continued compromises on the part of the Church of
              Scotland, not as overt or persecuting as they had done under James
              II, but compromises nonetheless.
              William of Orange was held to be the monarchical head of the church
              by virtue of his office as king over the British Isles. This of
              course was more especially felt in England and Ireland where the
              episcopal church was established. Scotland didn't have to use the
              title "head of the church, but the authority to some degree was still
              exercised; William held (and used) the prerogative, for instance, to
              call or dispense with assemblies, as his kingly right, and to kick
              ministers out of office and declare their pastorates vacant. William
              also retained on the law books the act recissory of 1662. This act
              nullified the acts of parliament that were passed during the
              covenanted reformation in fulfillment of the solemn league and
              covenant (including the adoption of the solemn league and covenant,
              which was by this act declared nullified, though William no longer
              had an oath of renunciation of the covenant as under James II). One
              could seemingly go on and on.
              I happened also to have found on the internet the following seemingly
              astounding claim:

              "We must ask why did William, a Dutchman, come to England, and why
              did James seek political asylum in France? Louis XIV, autocrat of
              France and supreme representative of feudalism in Europe, was busily
              engaged at the time in spreading French dominance in the western
              world. In the struggle to achieve control Louis required allies, and
              to upset the balance of power he needed England on his side. James'
              flight to France was thus mutually beneficial for both the French
              monarch and the deposed English monarch. James saw his alliance with
              Louis as a means whereby he could re-establish his dominance at home
              whereas Louis saw the potential of a re-installed James in terms of
              his own efforts to dominate Europe.
              William of Orange, on the other hand, was fighting for the
              independence of Holland against Louis and as such was very interested
              in having England on his side. Thus William's view of the throne of
              England was its usefulness in defending the national independence of
              Holland...
              In fact Catholic Spain was one of William's main allies in the fight
              against the spread of French dominance. And - wait for it - the Pope -
              as temporal monarch of Italy - was a fervent supporter of William's
              claim to the English throne and a military ally in the fight against
              Louis and France. When William and his army arrived on English soil,
              he brought with him a Papal blessing and a banner proclaiming the
              support of Italy and the Pope!!" (found in an essay on the internet.)

              Now, it is easy to dismiss this as so much hocus pocus conspiratorial
              gibberish from a raving lunatic, but the fact is that William of
              Orange did declare a fast that the churches in Scotland were required
              to uphold,

              "for the success of the war against Lewis XIV (of which above), and
              in favor of the Pope, which king William was bound to prosecute by
              virtue of a covenant made with the allies at the Hague, February,
              1691, to be seen in the declaration of war then made against France,
              wherein it is expressly said, "That no peace is to be made with Lewis
              XIV, till he has made reparation to the Holy See for whatsoever he
              has acted against it, and till he make void all these infamous
              proceedings (viz: of the parliament of Paris) against the holy
              father, Innocent XI." Behold here the acknowledgment of the
              Pope's
              supremacy, and his power and dignity, both as a secular and
              ecclesiastical prince; and in the observation of these fasts, the
              church did mediately (tell it not in Gath—) pray for success to
              the
              man of sin" (from the Act, Declaration, and Testimony).

              While the fast was not in itself directly stated to be for papal
              claims, but rather the success of William's army's endeavors, William
              had leagued himself with the Spanish and Italians in this war which
              the people were praying for, and the terms of the war as they had
              been declared to France were that Louis would make reparation to the
              pope. So the presbyterians were ultimately praying for the success of
              a war which had as its declared end the claims of the papacy. FWIW,
              the pope did not support James II on the English throne at this time
              because James had fled to France and allied himself with Louis.
              -doom.
            • weeping_calvinist
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 3 2:14 PM
                Welcome, Peter.

                gmw.

                <pjgray@s...> wrote:
> [...]
                > footing and violated the covenants to God that had been previously
                > taken by church and state. They also rejected the changes that were
                > adopted when the presbyterians of Scotland and Ireland were forming
                > into ecclesiastical courts in North America. Many of us in this
                club
                > identify with the secession from the RPCNA that took place in 1840,
                > which declined Synod's jurisdiction due widening breaches in the
                > RPCNA from the original RP views, and the inability after 7 years
                > get fair representation before synod to address the matter.
                > Notwithstanding a recognition of gifts and talents of Christians
                > (some of whom are friends) who happen to be in these other
                > denominations, they find that the reasons for dissent from these
                > synodical bodies as ecclesiastical bodies still exists, and remain
                > outside of official ecclesiastical relations with these
              • Colin
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 3 9:34 PM
                  <pjgray@s...> wrote:
                  > I too believe the Pope is the Anti-Christ. Again, what I said was
                  > meant in praise, though I can certainly see how it might be
                  > construed otherwise. Noticed I criticized preterism, which seems to
                  > dominate CT churches today.

                  What are "CT" churches? Do you mean churches which hold to Covenant
                  Theology?

                  What evidence is there that preterism is "dominant" among "CT"
                  churches?

                  > Needless to say, I am NOT a futurist. I thought futurism was
                  > generally held by disbys & premills.

                  It is. Though some Amills tend to hold to it as well.

                  > I have read many good things on popery. In fact, lately most of my
                  > free time has been devoted to studying popery. My personal favorite
                  > is J.A. Wylie's "The Papacy is the AntiChrist". I believe this book
                  > is considered to be the authoritative vindication of that premise.

                  Are you reading the original edition or the modern "precises" edition
                  published by Ian Paisley's church?

                  Have you ever read Wylie's 2000 page "History of Protestantism"? 19th
                  century RC's hated it so much that they bought up several hundred
                  copies of it and had them burned.

                  http://www.doctrine.org/history/

                  Also, Wylie wrote a classic work The Papacy: Its History, Dogmas,
                  Genius, and Prospects".

                  http://www.biblebelievers.com/wylie/papacy/

                  In response, the 19th century RCC put out an assassination order
                  against Wylie if he ever came to Europe.

                  > I have a book by Alexander Hislop called the Two Babylons which
                  > compares Romanism to the pagan worship of Belshazzar. I haven't had
                  > the chance to read it yet is it good?

                  Yes if you are looking for a really good account of ancient
                  Babylonian pagan history. The historical details are quite
                  fascinating. But the eschatological method and conclusions drawn by
                  the writer are open to serious question. But Rev. Hislop was a solid
                  Presbyterian of the 19th century Free Church of Scotland. His
                  brother, Stephen Hislop was a missionary of the FCS.

                  > I have a single volume of Puritan sermons about popery.

                  Interesting. Who are the puritans in it?

                  > I've listened to innumerable historic sermons on the Nicodemians,
                  > reforming the church, and romes idolatry. Without a doubt the Pope
                  > is the man of sin and the RCC the mystery of iniquity, I'm as sure
                  > of it as I am that Jesus is Christ and Protestantism and the OT and
                  > apostolic religions proceeding it are the mystery of godliness
                  > (some what reminiscent of Wylie?).

                  Some staunch protestants take a different view of the Man of Sin and
                  Antichrist. (e.g. Loraine Boettner, author of "Roman Catholicism").
                  As well as the ex-Catholic, Gary DeMar who believes that the Man of
                  Sin was Emperor Nero.

                  > What I said, "Even conservative Presbyterian denominations don't
                  > believe the Pope is the AntiChrist anymore" was said in surprise
                  > and elation, because I know most conservative American Presbyterian
                  > denominations don't have a definitive stance on eschatology- PCA,
                  > OPC.

                  Those denominations hold to a revised WCF that has deleted those
                  portions on the Pope being "that Antichrist".

                  > I only mentioned them because it seems many people of reformed
                  > persuasion fall away on these points of orthodoxy.

                  Preterism is not a "falling away" from orthodoxy unless it is Hyper-
                  preterism.

                  > (Im a fan of Paisley).

                  So am I. I first met him in 1985 when he came to Canada to preach.
                  Have you listened to his famous Protest against the Pope's visit to
                  the European Parliament in 1988? He publicly denounced the Pope
                  as "Antichrist", then later went on the Radio to debate and defend
                  his position. All of that is online at SermonAudio.com, as are many
                  other of his sermons.

                  Another good sermon of his is, "The Crown Rights of King Jesus". This
                  was published as a booklet, but I've never heard it on tape. What
                  make it so interesting is that Paisley is an Historic
                  Premillennialist, but this sermon makes him sound like a
                  Postmillennialist! And he preached it at the 1984 General Synod of
                  the Bible Presbyterian Church (A Premillennial denomination). If you
                  ever find this sermon on tape, it should be well worth listening to,
                  along with reading the booklet.

                  Colin
                • Peter
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 10 2:40 PM
                    > What evidence is there that preterism is "dominant" among "CT"
                    > churches?

                    >>I thought futurism was generally held by disbys & premills.
                    > It is. Though some Amills tend to hold to it as well.
                    > > denominations don't have a definitive stance on eschatology-
                    PCA,OPC.
                    > Those denominations hold to a revised WCF that has deleted those
                    > portions on the Pope being "that Antichrist".

                    Hermenuetic minus Futurism minus Historicism equals Preterism (is
                    there any other option?). Get my line of reasoning? It seems you
                    have admitted it yourself. But if you say otherwise, Colin, I will
                    concede the point.

                    And also,
                    > Some staunch protestants take a different view of the Man of Sin
                    >and Antichrist. (e.g. Loraine Boettner, author of "Roman
                    >Catholicism"). As well as the ex-Catholic, Gary DeMar who believes
                    >that the Man of Sin was Emperor Nero.
                    Most other theonomists believe the same, correct?

                    >>I thought futurism was generally held by disbys & premills.
                    > It is. Though some Amills tend to hold to it as well.
                    >>Noticed I criticized preterism, which seems to
                    > > dominate CT churches today.
                    I'm sorry, is it improper to call a church that doesn't adhere to
                    Dispensational Theology and adherent of Covenant Theology?

                    > Are you reading the original edition or the modern "precises"
                    edition
                    > published by Ian Paisley's church?
                    I read the original. Its available online some where.

                    > Have you ever read Wylie's 2000 page "History of Protestantism"?
                    19th
                    No. But I've bought it and read alot about it.

                    > Interesting. Who are the puritans in it?
                    Henry Wilkinson, Peter Vinke, Samuel Lee, Richard Mayo, Edward West,
                    William Jenkin, Edward Veal, Thomas Lye, Samuel Annesley, Thomas
                    Vincent, Richard Fairclough, Mathew Sylvester,Edward Lawrence,
                    Richard Steele, Thomas Wadsworth, Thomas Doolittle- the 6th volume.
                    Not many bigwigs (sorry if "bigwig" is too ambiguous for you) but
                    these men were the contemporaries of the greats. In the preceding
                    volumes: Thomas Watson, Richard Baxter, John Owen.

                    > Have you listened to his famous Protest against the Pope's visit
                    >to the European Parliament in 1988?
                    Just a clip of it from a news report.
                    He publicly denounced the Pope
                    > as "Antichrist", then later went on the Radio to debate and defend
                    > his position.
                    I've heard that.

                    > Another good sermon of his is, "The Crown Rights of King Jesus".
                    Thanks I'll listen to it.

                    Have patients with me. I am neither as experienced nor as
                    knowledgeable. Consider this before you attempt to tear me to pieces.

                    And thank you for all your welcomes.
                    Peter Gray
                  • Colin
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 11 12:34 PM
                      <GrayPJ@c...> wrote:
                      > > What evidence is there that preterism is "dominant" among "CT"
                      > > churches?
                      >
                      > Hermenuetic minus Futurism minus Historicism equals Preterism (is
                      > there any other option?). Get my line of reasoning? It seems you
                      > have admitted it yourself. But if you say otherwise, Colin, I will
                      > concede the point.

                      Its not so simple as you suppose. Many CT churches hold to a variety
                      of views including Futurism, Preterism, and also the one option you
                      failed to mention, that is, "Idealism" (which is an Ahistorical
                      approach). And sometimes they hold to a mixture of all three or two
                      such as in Amillennial churches which are partly futurist (a coming
                      future antichrist and apostasy) and partly Idealist (the NT
                      prophecies in Revelation are about Good Vs Evil, etc).

                      Orthodox preterism is a minority view, as is Historicism too. The
                      former is gaining more ground, while the latter has lost a lot ground
                      to the point of almost disappearing from the face of the earth. This
                      is why the book, "Four Views on the Book of Revelation" edited by
                      Marvin Pate, contains no advocate for the Historicist view, while
                      Preterism is one of the four views being advocated. However,
                      Historicism is mentioned in Steve Gregg's four part "Parallel
                      Commentary" on Revelation).

                      Futurism is the dominant view in most evangelical churches. Among CT
                      churches Amillennial "Futurism" and Idealism are the dominant views.
                      Orthodox Preterism has been the most successful in challenging the
                      Status Quo Futurism of our day.

                      So your equation that a "hermeneutic minus Futurism and Historicism
                      equals preterism" is not entirely accurate when you omit the Idealist
                      method. And it isn't accurate when describing CT churches either,
                      though perhaps some day it will be. :-)

                      > > And also,
                      > > Some staunch protestants take a different view of the Man of Sin
                      > > and Antichrist. (e.g. Loraine Boettner, author of "Roman
                      > > Catholicism"). As well as the ex-Catholic, Gary DeMar who
                      > > believes that the Man of Sin was Emperor Nero.
                      >
                      > Most other theonomists believe the same, correct?

                      Yes, but that is not a point essential to Theonomy, since those
                      things are unrelated to each other. Some Theonomists take a different
                      view of the Man of Sin.

                      > > > I thought futurism was generally held by disbys & premills.
                      > >It is. Though some Amills tend to hold to it as well.
                      >
                      > I'm sorry, is it improper to call a church that doesn't adhere to
                      > Dispensational Theology and adherent of Covenant Theology?

                      Usually, but then there are a variety of views on either side: e.g.
                      hyper-dispensationalism, classical dispensationalism, progressive
                      dispensationalism are all on one side, while the other side has
                      classical covenant theology, "New Covenant" Theology, Meredith
                      Kline's "Two Age" Intrusion Theory (which some have said belongs on
                      the other side), and Lutheran Theology and the mono-covenantalism of
                      Norman Shepherd. Why do you think there is a book called, "Five Views
                      on Law and Gospel" (and that one doesn't even cover NCT or Kline or
                      Shepherd's views). And sadly, Kline's views have become very
                      prevalent in many CT churches which allows them be reformed while
                      espousing the discontinuity hermeneutic of dispensationalism.

                      > > Have you ever read Wylie's 2000 page "History of Protestantism"?
                      >
                      > No. But I've bought it and read alot about it.

                      Its well worth reading. It took me over a year to finish it. And
                      unlike the online version, the original comes with some very good
                      illustrations of inmportant events in Protestant history. It should
                      be a required history text book in all seminaries and Bible Colleges,
                      along with "Foxe's Book of Martyrs" (Of course, the 8 Volume "Acts
                      and Monuments" by Foxe would be quite impractical as a text book).

                      Paisley preached a sermon based on Wylie's book when it was reprinted
                      in 1985. The sermon was entitled, "On Church History" and sounds very
                      postmillennial. :-)

                      Colin
                    • Peter
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 11 2:38 PM
                        Thank you for correcting me. I guess I over-simplified the matter.
                        My experience is limited to articles and books- I don't think I've
                        ever had this conversation.

                        > future antichrist and apostasy) and partly Idealist (the NT
                        > prophecies in Revelation are about Good Vs Evil, etc).

                        "Idealism" almost sounds like Christian Dualism "Good Vs Evil".
                        Also, it sounds like the logical conclusion of futurism's
                        hermeneutical technique, which stresses the literal method of
                        interpretation. I guess if they were true to their method they would
                        believe Babylon the Great was actually a whore on a dragon, if I'm
                        interpreting what your saying correctly? Please tell me more about
                        Idealism?

                        Why do you think there is a book called, "Five Views
                        > on Law and Gospel" (and that one doesn't even cover NCT or Kline
                        or
                        > Shepherd's views)?
                        I've never heard of that book. I was aware that there are variations
                        of the two main views of the Covenants but not to such an extent.
                        How old was the book? Most of these schismatic seem to have arisen
                        fairly recently. I know NCT is new (I'm not being redundant).

                        Where is the online version of the History of Protestantism? I
                        bought SWRB's, version does it have illustrations? Where did you buy
                        yours?

                        It surprised me when I found out Paisley was a Premillennialist.
                        Perhaps a remnant of his Baptist upbringing or am a being narrow
                        minded?

                        --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Colin "

                      • Colin
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 11 6:41 PM
                          <GrayPJ@c...> wrote:

                          > "Idealism" almost sounds like Christian Dualism "Good Vs Evil".
                          > Also, it sounds like the logical conclusion of futurism's
                          > hermeneutical technique, which stresses the literal method of
                          > interpretation. I guess if they were true to their method they
                          > would believe Babylon the Great was actually a whore on a dragon,
                          > if I'm interpreting what your saying correctly? Please tell me more
                          > about Idealism?

                          The "Idealist" method of prophetic interpretation is primarily
                          an "Ahistorical" method (in effect, the very opposite of Historicism
                          and to some extent, the opposite of Preterism too). The Idealist
                          method does not look for fulfullment of NT prophecy in any historical
                          events, but only in terms of themes or ideals (ie. "Good Vs
                          Evil", "Christ Vs Satan", the "Church Vs the kingdom of Antichrist",
                          etc).

                          Not surprisingly, no premillennialist would subscribe to this method.
                          But some Postmillennialists have (e.g. Rushdoony's book, "Thy Kingdom
                          Come: Studies in Daniel and Revelation"). But mostly its a view held
                          by many Amillennialists today (e.g. William Hendickson, Kim
                          Riddlebarger, Sam Hamstra, Cornelis Venema, Robert Strimple, etc.).
                          While some other Amills are futurists (e.g. David Engelsma) and other
                          Amills are preterists (e.g. Jay Adams).

                          > > Why do you think there is a book called, "Five Views
                          > > on Law and Gospel" (and that one doesn't even cover NCT or Kline
                          > > or Shepherd's views)?
                          >
                          > I've never heard of that book. I was aware that there are
                          > variations of the two main views of the Covenants but not to such
                          > an extent.
                          > How old was the book?

                          It was first published in 1994 under the title, "The Law, The Gospel
                          and the Modern Christian: Five Views" edited by Wayne Strickland. Its
                          recent edition has a newer title.

                          > Most of these schismatic seem to have arisen
                          > fairly recently. I know NCT is new (I'm not being redundant).

                          Yes, NCT is an over-reaction against classical covenant theology and
                          infant baptism. (Its also an over-reaction to Theonomy too, which NCT
                          Advocates (Reisinger and Zens) see as the logical implication of
                          classical covenant theology).

                          > Where is the online version of the History of Protestantism?

                          Everywhere!

                          http://www.bpc.org/reading_room/books/ wylie/protestantism.html

                          http://www.reformation.org/wylie2.html

                          http://www.whatsaiththescripture.com/Voice/
                          History.Protestant.v1.b1.html

                          http://www.doctrine.org/history

                          http://www.reformedreader.org/history/wylie/protestantism.htm

                          http://www.fbinstitute.com/history/His_Pro_Vol1.html

                          http://www.john3-16.connectfree.co.uk/histprotestant/indexprot.html

                          http://www.geocities.com/~stahr_family/historytable.html

                          http://www.tracts.ukgo.com/james_wylie.htm

                          > I bought SWRB's, version does it have illustrations? Where did you
                          > buy yours?

                          I bought mine 15 years ago from "Valley Gospel Mission", the Canadian
                          distributor of "Gospel Mission" books in Choteau, MT.

                          If yours is the "SWRB version", then you must be referring to a
                          photocopy reprint, since that is mostly what they sell now. But it
                          should come with the same illustrations throughout the book. The only
                          reason why the online versions do not have the illustrations included
                          are because the image files are too big to download off the Internet.

                          If you want to get the real book version of HoP, then go to:

                          http://solid-ground-books.com/books_28.asp

                          > It surprised me when I found out Paisley was a Premillennialist.
                          > Perhaps a remnant of his Baptist upbringing or am a being narrow
                          > minded?

                          Its more due to his fundamentalist upbringing and associations (e.g.
                          Bob Jones University) , but also because Spurgeon, Andrew Bonar and
                          McCheyne were all premill too, as well as his favorite puritan,
                          Thomas Goodwin. There is even an organisation that is dedicated to
                          promoting sovereign grace and [post-trib] premillennialism:

                          http://www.sgat.org/

                          Many older ministers in Paisley's Free Presbyterian church are
                          premillennial, but the younger ones tend to be Amill (and one who is
                          postmill), but everyone of them are Historicists.

                          Colin