Re: [Covenanted Reformation] Re: Witsius concerning Men on Mars/Better Link

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 12 6:47 AM
      "There's a man, who says there is a light in the sky.
      All my friends say he's telling a lie.
      But he speaks with such passion that I have to think about.
      And his hands ... well they tremble as he points it out.
      But I can't see what it's all about
      And the voices of many are singing along it seems.
      Is it all something new? And will I see it too?
      Or is this just continuing man?
      Throughout all history claiming they all can see
      but the evidence falters just short of my hand.
      And there are lies in the sand."
      -- King's X.

      Sent: Thursday, June 12, 2003 2:43 AM
      Subject: [Covenanted Reformation] Re: Witsius concerning Men on Mars/Better Link

      --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "timmopussycat"
      <timmopussycat@y...> wrote:
      > Has anybody confirmed that Witsius is actually citing Kepler?

      Well, it is and it isn't...

      Kepler wrote a science fiction story about a man who travels to the
      moon by winged demons conjured up by his mother thru witchcraft. I
      forget if the story says the man had a dream of doing this, or if
      Kepler was having the dream of a man telling him about this. Somehow,
      there is a dream involved. Could be that the man's mother conjured a
      demon to take him in a dream to the moon. I forget. The book was
      called Somnium and was published after Kepler's death. It was a
      project Kepler was working on on and off for apparently some time. I
      don't think the story was finished when Kepler died.
      In the story, he tried putting in details of things that he believed
      were true about the moon, based on his own predictions and
      observations. As his own mother was accused of witchcraft,and I think
      perhaps executed, many saw the story as having more to it than meets
      the eye, that it was intended to refer to him dreraming of what he
      believed the moon was like, based on his own observations and
      theories. It is my undersdtanding that there were added to the story
      a number of notes with observations and predictions. In the story, he
      claims to meet lunarians, plants, and animals on the rock and dust
      covered moon.
      The idea that men lived on the moon was a common idea in the science
      community of that day. It was supported by Galileo, and I have heard
      (not confirmed) that Kepler's inclusion of lunarians in his story was
      part of expresiing his views about the moon - namely, that he
      believed it inhabited. But I can't confirm whether or no that is
      actually true.
      (As an aside, such notions remained popular in the science community
      for some time - William Herschel in the 1700s claimed it as a given
      fact that the moon was populated. He claimed that the craters of the
      moon contained lunar cities, and was also so bold as to proclaim that
      the sun had a solid surface in the middle and was also inhabited -
      the latter of which views is recorded in the 1795 Transactions of the
      Royal Society.)
      The mention of the Selenographia refers undoubtedly to the work of
      that name issued about that time by Hevelius, consisting of
      attempted maps of the lunar surface. I have not seen this work, only
      one (or perhaps a few, I don't recall for sure) maps from it, so I
      can not confirm whether he places a footnote incredulously accepting
      that Kepler actually saw men in his telescope. Yet this seems the
      most probable source of the claim that Kepler believed he saw people
      in his telescope. But the source itself could be none other than
      Kepler's Somnium.

      The Lucian who is mentioned in the text is Lucian of Samosata. He was
      an ancient author who wrote of a trip to the moon (I think via birds)
      and meeting inhabitants there. It was translated into English in
      1634.
      Around the same time, Francis Godwin released a work about a man
      flying to the moon on a goose and finding men on the moon 28 feet
      tall. I am uncertain whether his work is also alluded to in some of
      what Witsius wrote.
      All these works were released at about the same time and contributed
      to a growing movement at that time favouring that men lived in outer
      space.
      That's about all I can confirm with respect to this offhand.
      -thebishopsdoom

      ---
    • jwoods87
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 12 8:44 AM
        --- Some lights in the sky of the night
        hide as Angels of Light.
        But then again, there is perhaps also Paul on the road to Damascus
        being instructed. The man saw a light and recieved instruction.
        Others observed a part but not all of what he experienced. Did it say
        only ET phone home?
        Those lights in the sky, if one sees them should send them to prayer
        no matter the source. The theory of UFOs are a part of a plan for
        strong delusion not to be subscribed to.

        In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "gmw"
        <raging.calvinist@v...> wrote:
        > "There's a man, who says there is a light in the sky.
        > All my friends say he's telling a lie.
        > But he speaks with such passion that I have to think about.
        > And his hands ... well they tremble as he points it out.
        > But I can't see what it's all about
        > And the voices of many are singing along it seems.
        > Is it all something new? And will I see it too?
        > Or is this just continuing man?
        > Throughout all history claiming they all can see
        > but the evidence falters just short of my hand.
        > And there are lies in the sand."
        >
        > -- King's X.
        >
        > gmw.
        Mars/Better Link

> [...]

        > The Lucian who is mentioned in the text is Lucian of Samosata. He
        was
        > an ancient author who wrote of a trip to the moon (I think via
        birds)
        > and meeting inhabitants there. It was translated into English in
        > 1634.
        > Around the same time, Francis Godwin released a work about a man
        > flying to the moon on a goose and finding men on the moon 28 feet
        > tall. I am uncertain whether his work is also alluded to in some
        of
        > what Witsius wrote.
        > All these works were released at about the same time and
        contributed
        > to a growing movement at that time favouring that men lived in
        outer
        > space.
        > That's about all I can confirm with respect to this offhand.

        Service.